Ever wanted to learn guitar? It's not too late.

benjy

Rarely wrenches
Supporting Member
I used to work at Best in Music in Orem, on 8th north. Talk to Marcus and tell him you're a friend of Steve's, and he'll take care of you. Their prices are every bit as good as online, but they have them in stock, and offer lifetime setup (adjusting it, lowering string heithgt, etc). Plus they're a lot easier to deal with if there are warranty issues.

BUMP! I'll be stopping by Best in Music tomorrow, my time has come :cool:

sixstringsteve

Very cool. Tell Marcus you're a friend of Steve H who used to work there. I'd be happy to offer anyone some free lessons to get started if they'd like.

spaggyroe

Man Flu Survivor
I've never even heard of Best in Music, despite driving in that area regularly. How is their selection Steve? I'll stop by on Tuesday to check them out.

I've still been playing regularly. Today, the father in law and I played for about 4-5 hours. He has a Ric 360 that I was able to play all day. What a cool guitar!

sixstringsteve

I love going to best in music, they have some really high-end gear. They're a local ma and pa shop, so they can't compete with guitar center's overhead, but their prices are just as good as GC.

Depending on what you're looking for, they have some cool stuff. I'm into handwired boutique tube amps, and they always have one or two (Vox, Marshall, PRS, Orange, Fender, among others). They're definitely worth checking out, and their sheet music selection is second to none in the state.

benjy

Rarely wrenches
Supporting Member
Was up at the parents house this evening and my dad let me borrow his guitar for a few weeks, to make sure it's something I want to invest in. I went through all the basics on justinguitar.com, and learned A, E and D chords. It's been fun! I'm excited to keep progressing.

Herzog

somewhat damaged
Admin
Was up at the parents house this evening and my dad let me borrow his guitar for a few weeks, to make sure it's something I want to invest in. I went through all the basics on justinguitar.com, and learned A, E and D chords. It's been fun! I'm excited to keep progressing.

That's awesome Ben. I find myself picking up my guitar a little more here and there. I used to be big into it, I can't believe I let myself not play for so long. Keep it up!

sixstringsteve

Well done! Once you learn a few songs, it gets even better. It's crazy how quickly someone can learn guitar vs violin or piano.

MattL

My wife got me a guitar a couple of years ago for Christmas. She bought it off ksl. It looks nice and even with 2 tune up, fret adjustments, it has this horrible fret buzz. She paid good money for it at the time but i cant stand practicing with it and its really not worth the money to put more into it. Where does some one go to get a good cheapish guitar to start practicing? I would feel bad trying to pass this on to some one else but what do i do with it?

sixstringsteve

What kind of guitar is it? As long as you're up front with the issues, don't feel bad selling it or passing it on. No offense, I don't know your skill level, but are you sure the buzzing is from the guitar and not from your playing technique? Have you had any friends play it to see if it buzzes for them?

You bring up a good point though, a cheap, poorly made guitar is much more difficult to learn on.

I recommend going to a good music store to find a good budget guitar to learn on. I'd stay away from walmart, target, etc. Go to a music store, tell them what you're looking for, and they'll steer you in the right direction. Depending on your budget, I have several different recommendations.

MattL

The guitar is a Takamine Jasmine S341. It looked like it had never been played before when I got it. I have taken it down to guitar city on redwood 2 times to see about getting the problem resolved but even they said they couldn't fix it completely. For me when I was attempting to learn it makes a bit difference when I was trying to hit a chord/note and it would buzz. I am sure a pro could make it sing pretty but for me its a distraction in the learning process. As a result i put it down after some time and havn't picked it up since.

benjy

Rarely wrenches
Supporting Member
4 nights strong :rofl: I have a quick question. I'm going to stick to the justin guitar lessons for now, they seem pretty thorough and a good resource. I've been doing the 1 minute changes, and my left hand thumb region is getting sore after one or two of the minute exercises. Is this something I should be aware of and change or just get used to? As I'm trying to quickly change chords my thumb presses against the neck. This is the lesson:

http://www.justinguitar.com/en/BC-115-1MinuteChanges.php

sixstringsteve

Good work Benjy! The better you get, the more enjoyable practice is. Justinguitar is a great resource.

Are your muscles sore, or the joints?

I'm guessing a lot of it is due to the fact that you're using muscles you've never used before, and you're just building up that muscle. If it's a sharp joint pain, your technique may be off a little, and may lead to further complications, but 90% of the time, it's just building the muscle and hand strength. Keep at it for a week, and see if the pain gets better or worse.

After 2 weeks, you shouldn't have any major pain while playing.

Can you play any songs yet?

Last edited:

benjy

Rarely wrenches
Supporting Member
Cool, thanks! I'll keep doing what I'm doing and see if it goes away.

No songs yet, I've just been doing chord sequences with the metronome so far. Last night I started learning the gambler by Kenny Rogers. Its the only beginner song of Justin's that I like.

benjy

Rarely wrenches
Supporting Member
Took last week off after this happened. But I don't have any excuses anymore, I'll be back at it tonight.

1509259_791279460900984_959630340_n.jpg

benjy

Rarely wrenches
Supporting Member
Stopped by Best in Music last week. Forgot to ask the guys name that helped me, but he was great! Ended up $100 under what I told him my budget was. I respect that he could have "sold" me right up to my budget but was pretty straightforward in getting me what I was looking for.

On the left is my dad's 40 year old classical guitar I had been playing up to this point. It took awhile to transition to the narrower neck, but I think I've got it now.

guitar.jpg

I've only been playing for a few weeks, but it's really starting to pay off. Been learning a new song, How to Save a Life by the Fray. I've caught on to it pretty quick. The strumming pattern was probably the hardest part for me. I still can't change chords fast enough to actually play it, but a couple more nights and I'll have it down. I've also tried "picking out a few notes" like he does at 5:58, but that's a joke, I'll have to stick to strumming for now :rofl:

[video=youtube;fE-Q5oWNrjg]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fE-Q5oWNrjg#t=21[/video]