Getting healthier in 2020. Who's in?

Gravy

Ant Anstead of Dirtbikes
Supporting Member
Trying to get in better cardiovascular health.
I've been running 2-3 times a week for 1.5-3 miles the last few months.

Seems like I've gotten better endurance in races. Loosens me up running on Monday after a Saturday race so I'm sore a shorter length of time afterwards too.

Hopefully running will allow me to aclimitize to the heat of summer slowly so I don't suck at racing in the heat so much.

I load my 4yr old up on his electric motorbike and chase him around the park until he's bored and goes to play at the playground. Or my 9yr old saunters around in front of me on his bicycle and I weeze and puff to keep up.

STAG

On my grind
Seems like my fitness motivation comes and goes in waves.

I started out this year at 208, got down to 183, then lost motivation and back up to ~198.

Currently feeling my motivation climbing back, but instead of just losing weight I’d like to actually gain useable strength and endurance rather than just feel slimmer.

Gotta find some real reason to actually stay on the motivation train. I have a sugar and soda addiction that I know I gotta cut out. But I don’t really have anyone pushing me so I gotta find the drive from within I guess.

Tebbsjeep

I finally got serious about dropping some pounds a few months ago. I started at 210 and I weighed in at 193 today. I've cut down to between 1650-1750 calories a day. I started weighing my food out, and following the serving size suggestions(weird concept, I know) and it's made all the difference for me. The first two weeks sucked, but now it's pretty easy to pass up snacks and such. I'm hoping to be 185 at the end of the month, and down to 165 by the end of fall.

The_Lobbster

Forgot about this thread. A few months ago, I was around 285-290. I felt like crap, knees and feet hurt every single day. I guess that was my breaking point. Stopped drinking booze, and limit my sugar intake to only a few grams per day, except natural sugars in fruit and such. I started calorie counting with intermittent fasting. Doing 16-18 hour fasts. I’m 6’5” tall, per the calculators, I should be eating 2,300 calories per day. I try to stay at, or under 2,000.

Weighed in today at 270. Goal is to be back down to around 230.

I feel like the calorie deficit diet is the most productive diet I’ve tried. I bought a “food” scale on Amazon for $7. It’s made me start to plan my meals better, to eat healthier, since I can have more healthy food at lower calories than junk food.

johngottfredson

Threat Level Midnight
Doing the carnivore diet. It’s awesome. Down 15 pounds, eating steak, bacon, cream, and diet soda. Started at 240, now at 225 but with muscle added from hitting the gym a few times a week as well. Bought some beef brisket to smoke for my Father’s Day present. Best. Diet. Ever.

N-Smooth

Smooth Gang Founding Member
I’m still maintaining 35-37 lbs down just doing intermittent fasting. I’m not starving myself and still eating the food I like and drinking Baja every day. I’ve also become way less strict with my 16/8 schedule and I’m not seeing any negative effects. It’s nice not having to turn down a cookie hot out of the oven at 8 PM or even having the occasional 11 PM bowl of cereal. I think I found my ideal weight and diet!

Coco

This is something I have been needing to do for a long time. For as long as I can remember I have been big and overweight. I feel like I have been fairly active in my life, but never healthy. My co worker started going to the gym and offered me to go with him. We started a couple weeks ago, and I bought the pass after the 7 day trial period ended. It feels good to be pumping some weight again, and next week we will add cardio into the rotation. I have always hated the gym mentality and being around the 'gym rats', but once you get past that and just focus on yourself, its been really nice to feel like you're doing something good for yourself.

I have been attempting to do keto again, but I still have a major weakness for the occasional bread. My dad has been doing carnivore for over a year now, and frankly I can't believe he is still on it. He's lost a bunch of weight, but I just feel like it can't be healthy or sustainable. Don't get me wrong, I LOVE meat, but I also love veggies and the occasional fruit and dairy too. I have debated the intermittent fasting, but haven't messed with it too much either. The hangry monster would probably want to kill people at some point, but I know its mind over matter. That way I can at least eat the foods I enjoy?

A couple years ago I was down 40 lbs just from keto, but have since gained that back. I am hoping with a strong focus on and sticking to a diet of some type, and working out that I can drop 80-100 lbs, but if I gain some back in muscle, keeping me from fully hitting those numbers, I am 100% ok with that. I'm 5'10" and 295. My heaviest was when I was working at LROR at the front desk at 310. Luckily I have been able to stay around 290-295 since being back in a more physical career. I haven't been below 200 for as long as I can remember, and would really like to see that happen. I have been really enjoying the trials bikes, and would like to be in better physical shape to improve there, but also, and more importantly is to be here long term for my family.

johngottfredson

Threat Level Midnight
Life is too short for me to not be able to enjoy my homemade bread and freakin’ BAJA. That’s all I’m saying. I think intermittent fasting is way easier to KEEP DOING than any of the other “fad” diets.
Intermittent fasting is awesome. On carnivore, I naturally only eat two meals a day, so 8/16 just works. I’m not as strict as some, I’ll throw in some berries or a bit of watermelon, still trying to keep carbs low.

I was listening to a podcast, and the nutritionist was saying you have to tailor your program to yourself, and don’t get tied down to any external rules people try and tell you. As far as carbs go, she said to view it like alcohol. Some people are alcoholics, and need to quit alcohol, rather than try moderation. I would call myself a borderline carboholic; many people in my family struggle to manage their intake and are overweight their whole life. For me, quitting carbs works better than trying to manage them with willpower alone. Others who can manage a balanced diet easier don’t need to be extreme.