Jeeper's F350 'Bagheera'

jeeper

Currently without Jeep
We made a trip to Moab a couple weeks ago, and the truck did fine. Our camper is just a little guy, so it's not much of a challenge for it. Last weekend we headed down to white wash dunes. I pulled a buddies 24' enclosed car hauler. We ran across the scale in helper, and as far as I can tell, I was hauling about 10k lbs. The truck handled it fine. It's very obvious that I am not a diesel. I slow to 65-70 on some of the hill climbs. I can go plenty fast almost anywhere I want, but it does take longer than a diesel would to get up to speed.
The truck shifts at all the wrong times and speeds in my opinion. It drives me crazy. In tow mode it is even worse. The truck does have a full manual mode where I can select the gear I want. It won't shift down on its own, like the manual setting in the dodge trucks I've been in. I am able to run in manual mode the whole way down and back while towing, and it makes the drive very nice. I have no issues when I am in control of the gear choice.
Overall I am plenty happy with the truck. It does exactly what I needed it to do.
I am currently replacing a wheel seal that I think has been bad since the day I bought it. Project was pretty simple.

jeeper

Currently without Jeep
Made another trip south. I got the usual 7 miles per gallon on the way down towing the trailer. At one point I headed over to Hanksville completely unloaded. I got the typical 10mpg. On the way back to camp from H-ville, I decided to slow from the 80/85mph speed I was going, and stayed at 65/70mph. My average economy went up to 17mpg!! I decided to try to drive at 70mph on the way home with the trailer, and could squeeze out about 9mpg.... but that was taking too long to get home, so back to 80mph and 7mpg I went.

sawtooth4x4

Totally Awesome
I can tow my 40 foot camper with my Cummins. I average 12-13 going 75.

If I go slower it goes up a lot.

Going 70 unloaded I get 19-20 mpg. I did it today coming home from Wyoming.

Slowing down helps a lot with mileage.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hickey

Burn-barrel enthusiast
Supporting Member
I'm pretty interested in a truck very similar to this, only 2wd. I would probably eventually get some tuning from 5 star. Have you had any non-towing trips for mpg results? Do you know what your gear ratio is?

jeeper

Currently without Jeep
I have not completed a full trip without trailer. 10 is pretty average for me in town with trailer/empty mix. we just got back from Vernal area and pulled about 10.5. But I was behind my brother the whole way, who's little truck topped out at about 60mph with his camper.
On the way to fantasy canyon I found that my truck has a governor at 95mph.
I have 3.73 gears.
I'd love to hear a review of the programmer if you put it on.

Gravy

Ant Anstead of Dirtbikes
Supporting Member
I'll have to search my gear ratio on my 2012, but mine is a 250 and I got 13.8 mpg average over the last 7800 miles. That's driving a little too fast and some towing an 8 foot garbage trailer. Lots with dirtbikes and other misc. loaded bed stuff and occasionally towing my 3500lb car hauler with and without a 4 door JK on it.

Last edited:

jeeper

Currently without Jeep
Little advice needed...
A couple months ago my battery died. It was very unusual for me. Drove the truck all day, no problems. Pulled into the driveway, shut the truck off, and 5 minutes later it was dead. Not even dome lights. Picked up a new battery.
Yesterday, I parked the truck after a drive in the morning, but when I got back in the afternoon it was dead again.
I drive the truck for a long while, parked it for a couple hours, and dead again.
I charged the battery, and pulled the terminals off to be sure I wasn't having a draw somewhere. Battery died quickly after being pulled off the charger.
I've never had batteries die like this, let alone two in a row and so close. Possible I got a bad battery for round 2? Or can my truck be killing them?
So confused.

jeeper

Currently without Jeep
Is it a single battery or dual?

Single

Are you sure the battery is discharged? It could be a bad connection

Yes, When I charge the battery without it being connected to the truck, it drops to 10.3v shortly after being taken off the charger. If I hook the cables up and open the doors so lights come on, it goes down to about 8.9v.

Connections are all clean and tight.

Hickey

Burn-barrel enthusiast
Supporting Member
Got this beast last week. Love the 6.2 gasser so far.

IMG_0007.jpg

jeeper

Currently without Jeep
So I have been calling my truck the Yamahauler as it's main purpose in life is to haul all of the yamaha's around. I was even going to get a vanity plate to say YAMAHLR. I thought it was a pretty clever and Unique name. Nope. Turns out Toyota used to sell a truck and yamaha motorcycle package called the yamahauler..

toyota_yamahauler_ad.jpg

1979-Toyota-Yamahauler.jpg

Tonkaman

So I have been calling my truck the Yamahauler as it's main purpose in life is to haul all of the yamaha's around. I was even going to get a vanity plate to say YAMAHLR. I thought it was a pretty clever and Unique name. Nope. Turns out Toyota used to sell a truck and yamaha motorcycle package called the yamahauler..

View attachment 117099

View attachment 117100
Dude that is WAY COOLER! You should trade yours up for the real thing