Lets talk charcoal grills...

Greg

I run a tight ship... wreck
Admin
I use the Sansaire Sous Vide machine inside a small cooler I retrofitted. It's been a great little cooker so far.

http://sansaire.com/

I didn't mean to derail the grill topic, but the results using Sous Vide and a grill take it to a much higher level IMO.

Lunch is at Noon:D

Thanks for the link Scott! Maybe down the road I'll add one to our cooking tools.... I'm sure my wife would love access to it as well. I don't think it's a derail at all... it all ties into making killer food!

Noon, eh? Damn... not quite enough time to make the drive! ;)

airmanwilliams

Did you find any moderate-good reviews on smoker/grill combos? Once we are done saving for this IVF treatment I would like to get one and mount it to my hitch basket or weld some tube to the bottom of one to go directly into my hitch.

carsonc1974

what do you mean by smoker/grill combos? Alot of things can be used for both, the most popular being the ol' weber kettle

Jeromy

Awesome, I've heard a lot of similar opinions like yours... the new owners are very happy with them. I'd love to smoke a brisket on the grill! Did you have to do anything with the seal? I've seen some guys will use a fiber seal from the BGE to add that much more air control.

Mine seams to be sealed pretty well. I haven't tried to hold low like 220 yet though I'm hoping it will. I'm hopeing for a free weekend soon to try

muleskinner

Lunch is served!

Sous Vide for 2 hrs at 132 Deg. Hot charcoal grill with apple wood for 45 seconds per side.

Costco Rack
IMG_7055.JPG

Season with Sea Salt, Ground Pepper and Rosemary Leaves
IMG_7056.JPG

Vacuum Pack
IMG_7057.JPG

Heat Sous Vide to 132 Deg
IMG_7058.JPG

Place rack in water bath for 2 hours
IMG_7062.JPG

Place on hot grill for 45 seconds per side
IMG_7068.JPG

Slice and enjoy!
IMG_7069.JPG

I forgot to take a pic while on the grill but I'm sure you get the idea.

moab_cj5

Supporting Member
I love my Trager. It isn't in the price range you are looking for, and it isn't charcoal, but it a great smoker. It can grill, but doesn't get hot enough to sear meet. We are having tri top for dinner. Love the smoky flavor of smoker meat!

uploadfromtaptalk1431291416243.jpguploadfromtaptalk1431291488849.jpg

airmanwilliams

My favorite thing to try in my master built smoker is a rack of spare ribs or country ribs coated in yellow mustard and grillmates applewood rub, smoked with apple wood for 6 hours at 225, then thrown on the BBQ and glaze with kraft sweet and spicy brown sugar BBQ sauce for 5-10 minutes.

Greg

Admin
Did you find any moderate-good reviews on smoker/grill combos? Once we are done saving for this IVF treatment I would like to get one and mount it to my hitch basket or weld some tube to the bottom of one to go directly into my hitch.

None worth considering IMO, but I'm pretty picky and when I found a product I liked, I'd search the name and look for reviews from a few different sources. It seemed like a lot of the grills that have a separate smoker box (like the one your posted) had poor reviews with regards to construction, sealing to control the temp and not leak out a lot of smoke, junky hardware, etc, etc.

I don't know about the idea of hooking one of those to your hitch, they're heavy and big in size.

Mine seams to be sealed pretty well. I haven't tried to hold low like 220 yet though I'm hoping it will. I'm hopeing for a free weekend soon to try

:cool: Good to hear!

Lunch is served!

Sous Vide for 2 hrs at 132 Deg. Hot charcoal grill with apple wood for 45 seconds per side.

Costco Rack

I forgot to take a pic while on the grill but I'm sure you get the idea.

Looks great!! The rack of lamb I got was also from Costco... $4/pound a few weeks ago!!

I love my Trager. It isn't in the price range you are looking for, and it isn't charcoal, but it a great smoker. It can grill, but doesn't get hot enough to sear meet. We are having tri top for dinner. Love the smoky flavor of smoker meat!

View attachment 98834View attachment 98835

My co-worker has a Trager and he loves to talk about it, can't say enough good. I looked at them an it seems like a great smoker but too much $$ for me.

Greg

Admin
Well, we drove to Lowes and picked up the new Akorn this morning... I placed my online order and they had it pulled and ready for me in 30 min. Brought it home and assembly took another 30 min or so... seems to be well built. Right now it's burning it's first load of lump charcoal and the cast iron grill is seasoning... thinking about dinner and wondering what to cook tonight! :greg:

New & Old...
20150510_145745_Richtone%28HDR%29-L.jpg

And the Akorn, getting properly broken in!
20150510_150258-L.jpg

Jeromy

Well, we drove to Lowes and picked up the new Akorn this morning... I placed my online order and they had it pulled and ready for me in 30 min. Brought it home and assembly took another 30 min or so... seems to be well built. Right now it's burning it's first load of lump charcoal and the cast iron grill is seasoning... thinking about dinner and wondering what to cook tonight! :greg:

New & Old...
20150510_145745_Richtone%28HDR%29-L.jpg

And the Akorn, getting properly broken in!
20150510_150258-L.jpg

awesome! that lowes deal is killer.

Greg

Admin
I ordered a pizza stone from Amazon, going to try pizza's next weekend! Found some tasty recipes worth sharing;

You start by grilling a naked round of pizza dough. You add your toppings in three stages:
First, any sauces or spreads;
Second, toppings like cheeses, meats, and roasted vegetables;
Finally, after the pizza's fully cooked, you add fresh greens or delicate herbs like basil.
Pick an add-in for each of these steps or just one, it's all up to you.

Basil pesto with roasted red peppers, olives, and mozzarella cheese

Olive tapenade with roasted onions and crumbled blue cheese

Pizza Margherita: tomato sauce with fresh mozzarella and basil leaves

Goat cheese with roasted peppers, roasted garlic, and basil

Pizza Bianca: Ricotta, low-moisture mozzarella, oregano, and thyme

Sweet Italian sausage, olives, and feta with fresh mint

Fig jam with prosciutto, crumbled blue cheese, and fresh arugula

Love me a good pizza margherita! And the last one with the fig jam... yum! We made a pizza with fig & honey goat cheese awhile ago and it was amazing.

CobraNutt

Ahhhh...c'mon guys! I'm on a diet! Danggit, now I'm hungry for some ribs...and some lamb...and some steak!

Muleskinner...what kind of vacuum packer do you use? I've gotta get in on the Sous Vide cookin!

Greg

Admin
Ahhhh...c'mon guys! I'm on a diet! Danggit, now I'm hungry for some ribs...and some lamb...and some steak!

Muleskinner...what kind of vacuum packer do you use? I've gotta get in on the Sous Vide cookin!

Hahaaa.... shouldn't have looked in here! :p I've been watching what I eat and have lost over 20#'s in the last couple months!

Tip on the pizza. Get up as high in the dome as you can.

Good info... up higher, for more heat? I have some bricks for a wood burning stove I can use to raise it up.

carsonc1974

Ya. It will help cook the toppings faster and get your crust away from the heat source. Pizza is still hard for me, but I'm finally getting the hang of it.