Lets talk charcoal grills...

muleskinner

I've used a brine for turkey, salmon and scallops before... never on chicken or pork!

I did see a video the other day where a guy used a dry brine on salmon, then he smoked it... and it looked AMAZING!

I just dry brined some salmon and smoked it last week!
1 cup pickling salt
3 cups dark brown sugar

salmon.jpg

muleskinner

Yum!!

This is kinda long, but here's the video I watched about the dry brine and salmon... he adds honey at the end and it looks delicious! :freak:

[video=youtube;1zT8QBMEML8]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1zT8QBMEML8[/video]

Damn, I'll have to try the honey that looks good!

I usually end up throwing some smoked fish into the food processor and mixing it with some whipped cream cheese. My kids (and myself) love it on crackers.

Greg

I run a tight ship... wreck
Admin
Damn, I'll have to try the honey that looks good!

I usually end up throwing some smoked fish into the food processor and mixing it with some whipped cream cheese. My kids (and myself) love it on crackers.

Yep... done that several times, it's amazing! I have to be careful with the smoker, it's easy to gain a LOT of weight.... fast!

muleskinner

Yep... done that several times, it's amazing! I have to be careful with the smoker, it's easy to gain a LOT of weight.... fast!

Soooo, I smoked some salmon fillets with honey on top for the last 1/2 hr or so of the smoke, and I have to say I don't think I'll do it again. It formed a hard leathery crust on top and the fish wasn't as smokey as I like. It looked great though!

This is before the honey, unfortunately I didn't get one after I glazed them.
honeysalmon.JPG

How is that new grill?

Greg

Admin
Interesting, it sounded like a good idea! Now I know... sorry for steering you wrong on that one!

The new grill is great, I cooked a pork loin the other day and it was so juicy! I got my pizza stone yesterday and a wireless thermometer ( http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00ANCXJR6/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1 ), seems the one that comes with the grill isn't too accurate. May have to make some pizza tomorrow night!

20150516_150600_Richtone%28HDR%29-L.jpg

carsonc1974

Soooo, I smoked some salmon fillets with honey on top for the last 1/2 hr or so of the smoke, and I have to say I don't think I'll do it again. It formed a hard leathery crust on top and the fish wasn't as smokey as I like. It looked great though!

This is before the honey, unfortunately I didn't get one after I glazed them.
View attachment 99026

How is that new grill?

Not all recipes/strategies translate from a kamado to a traditional smoker and vice versa. The cooking environments are just way to different. I learned this the hard way early on.:rofl:

muleskinner

Not all recipes/strategies translate from a kamado to a traditional smoker and vice versa. The cooking environments are just way to different. I learned this the hard way early on.:rofl:

Is the Kamado hotter? What exactly are the differences?

I ran my smoker @ 180 deg and smoked with apple wood.

It will hold temp +- 1 or 2 degrees usually with the stoker.

carsonc1974

There is not nearly the airflow through a kamado as most other smokers. Water pans usually do more harm, then benefit, for me. I very rarely foil anything as it inhibits bark developement. Depth of smoke is not nearly as intense as an offset, and if you see white smoke coming out of a kamado, something is wrong and needs addressed.

I don't know what kind of smoker you have, but Kamado's are more like coal fired ovens then any other smoker I have experience with.

My guess with your leather-like exterior, you would have benefited from some spritzing that isn't as necessary with a kamado.

EDIT: after watching the video, it looks as if there is a "skin" on his fish as well.

Last edited:

muleskinner

There is not nearly the airflow through a kamado as most other smokers. Water pans usually do more harm, then benefit, for me. I very rarely foil anything as it inhibits bark developement. Depth of smoke is not nearly as intense as an offset, and if you see white smoke coming out of a kamado, something is wrong and needs addressed.

I don't know what kind of smoker you have, but Kamado's are more like coal fired ovens then any other smoker I have experience with.

My guess with your leather-like exterior, you would have benefited from some spritzing that isn't as necessary with a kamado.

EDIT: after watching the video, it looks as if there is a "skin" on his fish as well.

Mine is a Stumps clone I built a couple years ago. It works very well:D

http://www.rme4x4.com/showthread.php?87384-Building-a-new-Smoker&highlight=stumps

Greg

Admin
Pizza!! We used pre-made pizza dough from Safeway. One had a marinara sauce, pepperoni, peppers, mushrooms and grated mozzarella. The 2nd one has alfredo sauce, fresh tomatoes, artichoke hearts, fresh mozzarella and goat cheese. I should have pre-heated the pizza stone, they were kinda doughy. Lesson learned, next time they'll be better!

20150522_171331-L.jpg

20150522_172107-L.jpg

20150522_174210-L.jpg