Lets talk charcoal grills...

Greg

I run a tight ship... wreck
Admin
I'm impressed! Very simple meal, chicken breast & sweet corn. The chicken cooked up pretty quick, but was very moist and tender inside. After seasoning the cast iron grates, I hit them with some Pam before laying the meat down... it didn't stick in the slightest!

20150510_171040_Richtone%28HDR%29-L.jpg

frieed

Jeepless in Draper
Supporting Member
as far as pizza stones, I can't say enough good things about this one: http://bakingstone.com/shop/barbecue_grill/

it's the perfect balance of heat retention and conduction. I bet mine has cooked a few hundred pizza's.

I've also fabbed a few accessories such as a charcoal basket and various racks to hold the grill/pizza stone at different heights.

I'm about to go fire up the BGE for pizza right now !!!!!!!!!!!!

Last edited:

Greg

Admin
as far as pizza stones, I can't say enough about this one: http://bakingstone.com/shop/barbecue_grill/

it's the perfect balance of heat retention and conduction. I bet mine has cooked a few hundred pizza's.

Wow, a few hundred! I know you've talked about pizza on your BGE before, sounds like you've got it down!

I bought this one, I liked the stainless steel base with handles. - http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B008BZ9B88/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

frieed

Jeepless in Draper
Supporting Member
My first one I bought in 2003 and it looked like this

k7_zpsypetlvm2.jpg

I now have a BGE, but all of these are similar in how they cook. I learned more about cooking from this thing in 4 years than I had in the previous 20.

Last edited:

frieed

Jeepless in Draper
Supporting Member
Level adjusters:

20150510_181730_zpscxocwncp.jpg

the old charcoal basket I made (new one is in the grill now)
20150510_181752_zpswfwoscpb.jpg

BGE plate setter with spacers

20150510_181854_zpsidne5mo6.jpg

Fibrement stone in place on top of the plate setter

20150510_181711_zpsllwyjroo.jpg

and I tend to keep apple wood for smoking and lots of charcoal

20150510_181818_zpsus2e3the.jpg

Last edited:

frieed

Jeepless in Draper
Supporting Member
The best trick I've found for pizza came about because I like thin crust pizza without cornmeal on the bottom.

Get a roll of non-stick foil, I think Reynold's calls it foil for grilling, smash your pizza crust flat on that and add toppings. After about a minute on the pizza stone, grab a corner of the foil and yank. The foil comes right out and the pizza stays.

Pizza requires a lot of heat (for thin, about 550*-650*) so I really fill the charcoal basket full.

Maybe I need to do a pizza demo day :)

Sorry bout the hijack, I'm kind of passionate about my pizza..

Last edited:

Greg

Admin
The best trick I've found for pizza came about because I like thin crust pizza without cornmeal on the bottom.

Get a roll of non-stick foil, I think Reynold's calls it foil for grilling, smash your pizza crust flat on that and add toppings. After about a minute on the pizza stone, grab a corner of the foil and yank. The foil comes right out and the pizza stays.

Pizza requires a lot of heat (for thin, about 550*-650*) so I really fill the charcoal basket full.

Maybe I need to do a pizza demo day :)

I saw a guy cooking a pizza and using a thin layer of corn meal to keep it from sticking, is that a problem with the pizza stone?

I'd love a pizza demo day!

nnnnnate

Supporting Member
This looks like fun. I tried a drum smoker but didn't have the patience to fuss with it. Maybe I'll have to give one of these newer charcoal grills a whirl.

frieed

Jeepless in Draper
Supporting Member
No issue with the stone, I just don't care for it on my pizza. It can tend to collect and burn so you need to brush it off.

frieed

Jeepless in Draper
Supporting Member
I'd love to hear more of what you've learned over the years!

Another huge change in my cooking: Brining
I had never grilled a chicken breast that was not dried out until I tried brining. Amazing for pork as well.

Greg

Admin
Another huge change in my cooking: Brining
I had never grilled a chicken breast that was not dried out until I tried brining. Amazing for pork as well.

I've used a brine for turkey, salmon and scallops before... never on chicken or pork!

I did see a video the other day where a guy used a dry brine on salmon, then he smoked it... and it looked AMAZING!

frieed

Jeepless in Draper
Supporting Member
Wow, a few hundred! I know you've talked about pizza on your BGE before, sounds like you've got it down!

The number was off the top of my head and when I saw this I though "wow, did I just bullsh*t?"
then I did the math, conservatively, 1 time per month x 12 years x 4 pizza's+ per time, well over 1k good enough I guess.

once I noticed callusses on the knuckles of my fingers from turning the dough balls under.

Last edited:

frieed

Jeepless in Draper
Supporting Member
oops, corrected the above, not over 1k but closer to 500, but still a good few :0

The callusses were real though..

Last edited:

carsonc1974

Is that an older kamado #7 (k7) I spy frieed? I've been eyeballing the new Kamodo Kamado's, but don't think I'll ever be able to swing the cash those command. Sure pretty though. Sounds like you have the pizza down. Maybe share your dough recipe? I'm still on the hunt for a favorite.

MikeGyver

UtahWeld.com
Lets see what MikeGyver can come up with using some of these ideas!

http://www.instructables.com/id/DIY-Sous-Vide-Machines/

Originally I was going to make one but couldn't find the time so I just popped for the Sansaire.

Well...I'm sold. I just ordered the main part to make a Sous Vide crock pot controller thingy. Stupid Muleskinner, making me build more stuff.... :greg:

I'm using this version. http://www.instructables.com/id/Sous-vide-cooker-for-less-than-40/?ALLSTEPS It looks way too easy, and the temp. controller is only $15 shipped...so I'll probably be in this thing less than $25 when I'm done.

That's interesting, I've never even head of this before. So it's basically like slow cooking a roast in a crock pot? It doesn't turn your steak into gelatinous fall of the bones ribs does it? Cuz I don't know about that lol

On a side note, I had a ribeye n baked potato today at a friends place and we tried grilling some shrimp on bar-b for the first time. Coated them in some good quality olive oil and a little seafood seasoning.... they turned out so good, my mouth is watering now just thinking about them.

temporary_zpsbmbrmn4g.jpg

temporary_zps0hkkzfu4.jpg

Last edited:

muleskinner

That's interesting, I've never even head of this before. So it's basically like slow cooking a roast in a crock pot? It doesn't turn your steak into gelatinous fall of the bones ribs does it? Cuz I don't know about that lol

On a side note, I had a ribeye n baked potato today at a friends place and we tried grilling some shrimp on bar-b for the first time. Coated them in some good quality olive oil and a little seafood seasoning.... they turned out so good, my mouth is watering now just thinking about them.

temporary_zpsbmbrmn4g.jpg

temporary_zps0hkkzfu4.jpg

Looks great! I usually do my shrimp with Italian Dressing. I've never had a steak get too soft using Sous Vide. I usually leave mine in the water bath for 1 1/2 hours at 130 Deg. then sear them on the grill.

This is the difference (not my photo)
steak.jpg

carsonc1974

IM no sous vide guy, but have tried my share of vaccuum sealers to be disappointed in all of the automatic units. I think your better off with one of the manuals ones like you posted. I've been saving up for a vacuum chamber for the last few months and am getting close to purchasing a Vacmaster VP215.