Marc Bryson lazy "build" -JT Gladiator Rubicon

mbryson

.......a few dollars more
Supporting Member
Thoughts on the tires?

Fantastic compared to the Mickey Thompsons for noise on the highway. As you can probably tell, I was trying to "get stuck" (and did) in that snow. The snow had a pretty heavy crust, probably about 5-6" (at least by my eye ruler---I'm a man, maybe that's only 4-5"?) and was totally powder crystals underneath that. No real rocks to test on (and I don't travel on those types of rocks as much as sandstone) so hard to really measure. I'd say I left some effectiveness off-road and gained some road manners. Tires are round which is a thing for me. I hate "cheap", out of round tires.

Jury is still out on the Nitto, to be honest. The 37" Mickey Thompson MTZ treated me VERY well for 27k miles. They still have 40-65% tread (someone needs these? They are lonely and could use a nice 17" wheel to cuddle with). I would guess they are at least a 40k mile tire. Good/excellent freeway manners but are a pretty aggressive MT so the noise is pretty high.

I would assume the Nitto sidewall has leaves a bit to be desired compared to the Mickey Thompson. The Nitto Ridge Grappler (C-rated) are a fair amount taller than the 37" MTZ. At least 1.5" if you're comparing new to new. You can feel some sidewall flex on the freeway and when aired down the Nitto don't like the 14-15 psi I would run the MTZ at. I'm more of an 18 (am I really "trail ready" at 17-18 psi?) psi guy with the NItto due to sidewall bulge. I've always felt like that was kind of the measure of how a tire works. If you get a good bulge as you air down, that's probably where you ought to stay? Something in the 20ish% range of additional width at the bottom. Let's you keep the height you paid for and gives good compliance on the trail. We'll see as this by FAR the highest trail pressures I've ever run. I need to get these tires on some sandstone and do a good comparison.

Last edited:

mbryson

Supporting Member
I think it fair to write a 10k mile (talking seat time here, truck has 20k on it now). Was this a good purchase or not? After busting up my "Jeep" pretty good on the Thursday before Labor Day, I bought this the Friday after Labor Day 2022. Biggest factor was daily driving the tow rig, taking care of a trailer (which I'm finding I still would like something to haul my Buick) and fixing my long in the tooth trail jeep after most outings. The F350 sold the day after I put it up. The 36' three axle bumper sold a few weeks after putting it up. We paid off the balance owed on my wife's Navigator with some of the truck $, have a chunk in the bank intending to put it down on the JT and refi that loan back to where what the payment on the Navigator was. After 5 months, I'm not sure what we'll do there but I'll leave that to a discussion with my accountant I sleep with rather than air that dirty laundry on the interwebs :D

I've had a tow rig/trailer for the last 18+ years. This is a pretty big change in lifestyle for me. I do get to tell people I can't help with moving a car or whatever they've conjured up when they wanted to borrow my truck/trailer. Over the years, I've decided I'm cool with lending my equipment out if I come along with the truck/trailer. Here's the times I can help you. Now I just can't help them. It's a nice change.

As far as a tow rig, the JT is far from optimal. It's probably not horrible but I've not towed with it.

Concerns when buying:
3.0L diesel (decent power and mpg but the dreaded CP4 or whatever fuel pump it has---100k mile Chrysler/Fiat warranty---if needed, I hope I don't regret the powerplant choice)
DEF
short bed (5' bed? Come on! I like full size 8' beds---but have had more 6.75' short beds than long beds)
breakover angle
expensive car on the trail
trail adjustments (less "hard" trails---I only used the Jeep 3-5 days per year on those at best anyway---is that an acceptable loss?)
cost of JT --- no joke there

Not all of the concerns have been resolved. There are at least 3-4 times I would have liked to have Sweaty Betty back. I figured something else out each time and honestly, Sweaty Betty would have been a compromise at 1-2 of those times with the short bed. I don't remember specifically what I needed a full size truck for but remember thinking that the JT was just not even a consideration. I'm still alive and things are OK in my world so maybe "needing" the truck was more of a want?

The 3.0l diesel was not really chosen by me. I liked this specific truck as much as any I drove and it was "done". "Built" by a dealer as it sits. The title of this thread is "lazy" build. I bought this truck as it is, put Rock Slide Engineering steps, radios, ARB air and a winch on it and have just driven it. I was back and forth many times between this white Rubicon 3.0L diesel or a silver Overland 3.6 (would have put ARB lockers in, changed the lift and probably the wheels on that truck---for whatever reason the leather seats in the Overland and the painted flares were kind of the reason I went with the 3.0L truck---after deciding that the JT was for me, I looked at quite a few new and trade-in JT and just came back to lazy build). I hope as time goes by, the 3.0L doesn't prove to be a huge mistake. Plan is to run it to 60-70k miles and evaluate from there.

DEF---like any modern diesel owner, I'm not a fan. It's kind of a non-issue so far. Just another thing to plan around. I intend to go on Expedition Utah Ghost Town Tour with this truck. From what I can tell, I'm the ONLY diesel and I need 350 miles of range. With a full tank, I get about 325 miles of range. With the CP4 pump, I'm not taking any chances on running the truck low on fuel and will be taking 10 deezel gallons with me and topping off the DEF before we head out.

Shortbed---It's stupid but still functional. I would NOT want it longer for off road, in fact, it's too long for off road. My trailer hitch scrapes everytime I go anywhere. For general use, it's ok but an even shorter bed (did I just type that?) would be OK most of the time. (is it Motobilt that has the replacement beds that are shorter? ---- not happening but kind of tempting but not really)

Breakover angle---this is a problem on the trail. No way around it. 137" wheelbase and 37" tires make for creative lines at times. Frankly it's kind of fun having to be this creative. I'm sure I'll run into something where I'll hate the breakover but as long as you account for it, it's been a non-issue. I do have to take some creative lines to keep the belly out of places where I probably shouldn't be. So far, so good

Expensive car on the trail---this is kind of a challenge. My Jeep on the trail, I don't really care if I rub up against a rock or something. I need 10-20 years out of this truck for what it cost and if I do need to bail on it, I need it in decent condition to sell it. I feel like the "will this scratch my Jeep guy" at the EJS drivers meetings

Trail adjustments----I haven't run the "hard" trails much at all the past 8-10 years. My other Jeep was pretty overbuilt for all the EJS trails and if I took my Jeep on "hard" trails, I usually had to fix something. I needed to adjust the K30 Jeep to be more trail/driver friendly (possible) or buy something to fit the trails I do run. This truck will run at least 95% of the trails that I did run in the K30 Jeep. I just have to be a little more careful about damage

cost----nothing to say here.
K30 Jeep --- $10kish
JT --- $65kish (after buying stuff I "needed")

K30 Jeep wins by a landslide here (in fact, by 60k)

Things I knew I wanted and love:
  • HVAC system that seems to do what I want it to do
  • drivability -- people complain about these seats and head room in these things. I'm pretty happy with both
  • decent sound system (important for the Van Hagar songs I dig) -- not ideal but "ok"
Things I didn't know I wanted:
  • Heated seats---I'm sure I'm on record telling everyone I hate heated seats. The ones on this truck are pretty great. I only run them on the lowest setting but I haven't worn a coat all winter (it's in the back seat)
  • Ability to hit 80+ on the freeway after a quick air up post trail
  • Fuel range -- 325 miles is about the range I have
  • 8 speed trans paired with a turbo -- I'd rather have a 5.7 Hemi in here but this 3.0L isn't bad

Things I don't like:
  • ducks.... what the hell? This just points out that those that buy a "new" Jeep are buying it for the Jeep "life". Somehow the Jeep community has watered itself down to ducks. I assume that's for the cheerleader types ?
  • storage --- problems for any Jeep. Jeep has done a pretty good job making spaces for you. You (me) just need to adjust what junk you bring
  • hyper electronic --- I WILL have occasion to swear at the electronics in this car. So far, a reboot of the system seems to solve everything. Kind of like a Windows OS?
  • I miss my old man tailgate step from the F350
  • The cheap Amazon bumpers need to go. Not in a rush to replace those but I will be changing them out over time. (probably not this year as what I have still works and I have many dollars going to airlines instead of putting my cash into bumpers)
  • I still don't like the three piece hard top. I didn't care for it on my JKU and I feel similarly about the JT top. The JT top doesn't leak (at least yet) like a '79 Trans Am
  • Chrysler "nanny" stuff.... Do you realize to fill the diesel with a can you need some stupid $3 funnel to open the spicket/valve thing at the top of the fuel filler? No idea what lawsuit this is fighting but I'm sure it's something stupid? Possibly a "fix" for accidental DEF filling into the fuel tank?
  • I'd kind of like a hard top/tin top version of this truck. Basically a solid axle Tacoma with a comfortable seating position, adequate power (lower in the powerband) and proven reliability
  • There's a bunch of "storage" on the dash.... I hate shit on the dash. Very distracting to me

I CAN take this truck on trips that I've always wanted to run like ExpeditionUtah GTT. I can take day trips to the Swell, Moab or whatever. It is a solid to good daily driver. I don't have to leave a tow rig/trailer somewhere and come back to it. I like how the JT looks and drives. So far, this thing is a win despite it's exorbitant cost (at least to me). Fordyce is OUT (still want to do that trail). Rubicon is eh, not sure but with the right crew, I'd go again.

I'm not a great camper, so weeks long or 3+ night trips are probably out. I can survive anything for a night or two and am looking to see if I can make some of those things more comfortable without giving up too much that works for me on the truck. More to come there in the next few months

So for a judgement after 10k, "Good" purchase. I must like it, I drive it a LOT.

I should write a 27k mile review of the JT? It's honestly not that different than the 10k review, I'm just more cemented into my opinions of that version.

-top still doesn't leak
-miss my old man tailgate from the F350
-cheap front bumper is gone. Rear to come sometime... (not a priority---"Jeep" is getting LOTS of funding at the moment)
-nanny stuff I've learned to live with. The stupid funnel is still a stupid funnel
-so far so good on electronics
-breakover and length of the truck on the trail is noticeable. Truck is WAY more capable than any comparable truck in my opinion. Put 38" tires on your Tacoma or Ranger... yeah, I didn't think so. Lockers on your Ranger or Tacoma or Frontier? (I honestly don't know) Actual functional seating position that's not "car-like"? JT is the only one in this category in my opinion. For a mid-size truck, this is the truck for me.

I'd likely only trade this truck for two vehicles. A $92 Wrangler (I'd need a "yard" truck if I did that) or a 7.3L gasser F350 crew long bed (I think I'd want a 2 Jeep capable enclosed trailer that would easily hold my Buick in it if I did that)

Pike2350

They're a

JT are a bargain right now. Up to $15k off for some units
I saw that and looked. WTF did MSRP start hitting close to $70k on these? 😯 (Saw one through Jeep.com "locate my vehicle" with a 70, xxx MSRP) Even with the deals going on that puts the "sale price" around 50-60k....which is around what the 2022 MSRP was.

I still want one for the same reason you mentioned...I like having a truck but I want to get out more and prefer a "load & go" type vehicle....but I still can't wrap my head around close to $60k for one.

The used marked has softened however....so hopefully in another year I can pull the trigger ona used model.

Still dig it. Have you come to any more conclusion
On if the diesel is worth it? My gut says go 3.6 for simplicity.

mbryson

Supporting Member
I saw that and looked. WTF did MSRP start hitting close to $70k on these? 😯 (Saw one through Jeep.com "locate my vehicle" with a 70, xxx MSRP) Even with the deals going on that puts the "sale price" around 50-60k....which is around what the 2022 MSRP was.

I still want one for the same reason you mentioned...I like having a truck but I want to get out more and prefer a "load & go" type vehicle....but I still can't wrap my head around close to $60k for one.

The used marked has softened however....so hopefully in another year I can pull the trigger ona used model.

The 3.6 is pretty known for cam failures. The deezel has a fuel pump issue (currently being replaced but at a snails pace). I still wish these had come with a 5.7L Hemi. (I think they have cam/lifter issues also?)

It's kind of a pick your poison thing I guess? I maintain mine at the dealer so records are kept. I also bought an additional warranty on the truck as I had to finance a good chunk of it. I don't love the dealer at all but it's convenient. Oil changes at LHM I buy in a "package" 3 at a time. They are decently priced. My fuel filter change I had done there just to get the records in the system. I think I paid $40-50 over market value for the filter/change but it's kind of worth it to me for the record keeping and the relationship building. YMMV

My sons show me Rubicon units pretty frequently at about $50k. They likely have the black fenders and top and probably don't have the 8" radio? That's what I bought anyway. Maybe those deals are gone?

Hickey

Burn-barrel enthusiast
Supporting Member

You can buy a brand new one for less than most used JT ads are asking. A brand new 2023 Mojave can be had for under $50k right now.

Hickey

Burn-barrel enthusiast
Supporting Member
The 3.6 is pretty known for cam failures. The deezel has a fuel pump issue (currently being replaced but at a snails pace). I still wish these had come with a 5.7L Hemi. (I think they have cam/lifter issues also?)

It's kind of a pick your poison thing I guess? I maintain mine at the dealer so records are kept. I also bought an additional warranty on the truck as I had to finance a good chunk of it. I don't love the dealer at all but it's convenient. Oil changes at LHM I buy in a "package" 3 at a time. They are decently priced. My fuel filter change I had done there just to get the records in the system. I think I paid $40-50 over market value for the filter/change but it's kind of worth it to me for the record keeping and the relationship building. YMMV
I think the cam failure issue is over-reported. I’ve heard the stories, but I don’t personally know anyone who has had cam failure with their 3.6. I’ve had 4 Jeeps with that engine and I never experienced it.

I understand Skippy has seen it several times, but he’s in the business of fixing Jeeps and people take their problems to people like Skippy to get fixed, so he’s naturally gonna see more incidents than any of us will. The 5.7 has cam/lifter failures too, and I expect they’re at about the same rate and age as the 3.6.

mbryson

Supporting Member
I think the cam failure issue is over-reported. I’ve heard the stories, but I don’t personally know anyone who has had cam failure with their 3.6. I’ve had 4 Jeeps with that engine and I never experienced it.

I understand Skippy has seen it several times, but he’s in the business of fixing Jeeps and people take their problems to people like Skippy to get fixed, so he’s naturally gonna see more incidents than any of us will.

I know 4 folks with deezel JL/JT. One is approaching 100k miles (last I heard, he was at 80k about a year ago @gijohn40 ), one at almost 60k (@Maverick) mine at 37k and another at 36k. None of us have had the fuel pump issue yet. We enjoy the 430ish lb ft of torque, 20 mpg and the ability to add bigger tires and still use 8th gear on the freeway. Possibly the deezel issues are over reported as well? (I've heard similar about gasser 7.3 lifters and 10 speed transmissions)

@TurboMinivan is a great source for new Jeeps and I have yet to buy anything "new". I strongly considered ordering exactly what I wanted from him and took the white JT I have for one last test drive with my wife along as well. My wife and I chatted in the driveway for 20-30 minutes deliberating about the merits of the silver truck vs the white one I bought vs buying new. We decided to get this truck along with a bonus warranty from the credit union.

Personally, I think each powerplant is a crapshoot. I just don't really trust Chrysler/Fiat/Stellantis or whomever they are this week

@Pike2350 , I'd go with your gut.

Last edited:

Hickey

Burn-barrel enthusiast
Supporting Member

I understand Skippy has seen it several times, but he’s in the business of fixing Jeeps and people take their problems to people like Skippy to get fixed, so he’s naturally gonna see more incidents than any of us will.

I know 4 folks with deezel JL/JT. One is approaching 100k miles (last I heard, he was at 80k about a year ago @gijohn40 ), one at almost 60k (@Maverick) mine at 37k and another at 36k. None of us have had the fuel pump issue yet. We enjoy the 430ish lb ft of torque, 20 mpg and the ability to add bigger tires and still use 8th gear on the freeway.

@TurboMinivan is a great source for new Jeeps and I have yet to buy anything "new". I strongly considered ordering exactly what I wanted from him and took the white JT I have for one last test drive with my wife along as well. My wife and I chatted in the driveway for 20-30 minutes deliberating about the merits of the silver truck vs the white one I bought vs buying new. We decided to get this truck along with a bonus warranty from the credit union.

Personally, I think each powerplant is a crapshoot. I just don't really trust Chrysler/Fiat/Stellantis or whomever they are this week

@Pike2350 , I'd go with your gut.
The only reason I didn’t go with the diesel on our JT is because it would be Lory’s daily, and she didn’t want to drive the diesel.

anderson750

I'm working on it Rose

I understand Skippy has seen it several times, but he’s in the business of fixing Jeeps and people take their problems to people like Skippy to get fixed, so he’s naturally gonna see more incidents than any of us will. The 5.7 has cam/lifter failures too, and I expect they’re at about the same rate and age as the 3.6.
I had a cam chain tensioner failure in my 2012 I have about 15k miles after I bought it. At 160k miles I knew what I was buying. My go to mechanic says the tensioners which are hydraulic will eventually fail due to getting plugged up from either crappy oil or not staying on top of frequent oil changes. It’s not a motor that tolerates neglect.

mbryson

Supporting Member
So, been a minute since I updated this thread. One of the vulnerable things on a deezel Gladiator is the fuel filter 20240203_140135.jpg

As you can see, mine has had some contact from trail obstacles. Looks like I've been pretty lucky so far. With how my luck was going in Jan 2024, I thought it prudent to get this taken care of before it ruins a trail day or causes me to spend a bunch of cash.

17069953192699101473935776036877.jpg

These ASFIR #asfir guys are in Israel and ship from Portugal or Spain or something. Not the cheapest skid out there but seemingly the only one that has a skid in stock. $180 or something for the skid, $60 for shipping.... painful. Not as painful as killing your fuel filter on the trail. Credit card numbers were swapped and 4-5 days later I had a very nice skid. Including hardware and instructions.
20240203_140014.jpg
20240203_140132.jpg
15 minute install.

Pull the two 15mm factory bolts from the frame mount for the filter. Place the skid in place and replace with the Asfir 17 mm hardware. Swap your impact back to 13mm socket and corresponding 13mm wrench for the nylock that protects the skid, assemble the bolts/washers/nuts and tighten them up

20240203_141115.jpg

Last edited: