Mental health: it’s ok to talk.

glockman

I hate Jeep trucks
So, a month or so ago @glockman shaved everything but his mustache. His wife didn’t like it one bit. My wife and I hardly noticed when we went to dinner with them until he said something about it.

I was at his house twice yesterday, and neither he or his wife noticed my stupid looking face. Or at least didn’t say anything about it.

I’m very guilty of not recognizing changes in those around me. Maybe, even if nothing else comes of my dumb face, it will at least make ME more aware of others so I can be more helpful if needed.
Oh I noticed and was flattered at your following my chomo lead. I was just so distracted by my hatred of hanging sheet rock that I forgot to mention that you were brimming with rizz.

UNSTUCK

But stuck more often.
I consider myself very fortunate to be very mentally healthy. I’m about as upbeat and cheery as they come. Pretty much all the time. Last Tuesday night I felt the chills of the flu setting in. I could not get out of bed the next morning. My wife and son headed to St. George on Thursday so I was without her at the same time. I was finally able to get up and get a bit of work done this morning, but am back down now and am wiped out.
Every day I got more and more down. Thoughts of worthlessness and doubt. My emotions were on high alert. Even a few clips from seasons 5-6 of Seinfeld brought tears to my eyes, and not because I was laughing so hard.
I can’t imagine what it must be like for those that deal with these feelings every day. Hang in there guys.

UNSTUCK

But stuck more often.
I see that I was the last to post on this thread. Maybe I do have a problem.

I hate Christmas.

I mean, I love what it stands for. Why we actually celebrate it. I have a strong relationship with Christ. I'd love for Christmas to be about Him.

The last conversation I had with my dad was Christmas day, 2000. He had just been admitted to the ER early that morning. My brother and I gave him a blessing and he told us where all the gifts were hidden and who got what. He kept apologizing to us for ruining Christmas. We said our "see you laters" and headed home, with my mom. About 2 hours later, after opening gifts and having breakfast, a nurse called and said he was not doing so well and we should come see him. That was code for, "he just died, but we plugged him in so he's technically not dead yet". I was 21 years old and 4 days home from my mission. I start thinking about him a lot in December. What I've missed out on.

My family is spending Christmas weekend in my wife's sister's "cabin". It's not a cabin. It's a house, larger than one I will ever own. We have done lots of Christmas's together. They are tough. My income this year is lower than it has been in years. I knew it would be this way when I signed on, so that's on me. Christmas gifts this year are slimmer than they normally are. And they are normally slim anyways. It will take about 5 minutes for my kids to open their gifts. If it's anything like past years, we will spend the next hour or so watching them continue to open gift after gift. That's hard to watch. My wife doesn't think about these things when she gets invited. She just jumps on anything that sounds like fun. Meanwhile my kids will be looking at me like what the heck. They'll have a few "needs" wrapped up. I don't think any "wants". We literally had a shopping cart at Target last night 1/4 full of the most random junk for stocking stuffers. I was crossing my fingers it would be under $200. Nope. Just under $400! That stuff stresses me out so much. I told my wife to stuff my stocking with transfer case seals and bearings. Stuff I already have now so we didn't need to get me anything else. :rofl:
So don't spend Christmas with another family that lives WAAAAAAY better off than your family does. Wish me luck.

Rant over. Just needed to vent.

Tonkaman

I see that I was the last to post on this thread. Maybe I do have a problem.

I hate Christmas.

I mean, I love what it stands for. Why we actually celebrate it. I have a strong relationship with Christ. I'd love for Christmas to be about Him.

The last conversation I had with my dad was Christmas day, 2000. He had just been admitted to the ER early that morning. My brother and I gave him a blessing and he told us where all the gifts were hidden and who got what. He kept apologizing to us for ruining Christmas. We said our "see you laters" and headed home, with my mom. About 2 hours later, after opening gifts and having breakfast, a nurse called and said he was not doing so well and we should come see him. That was code for, "he just died, but we plugged him in so he's technically not dead yet". I was 21 years old and 4 days home from my mission. I start thinking about him a lot in December. What I've missed out on.

My family is spending Christmas weekend in my wife's sister's "cabin". It's not a cabin. It's a house, larger than one I will ever own. We have done lots of Christmas's together. They are tough. My income this year is lower than it has been in years. I knew it would be this way when I signed on, so that's on me. Christmas gifts this year are slimmer than they normally are. And they are normally slim anyways. It will take about 5 minutes for my kids to open their gifts. If it's anything like past years, we will spend the next hour or so watching them continue to open gift after gift. That's hard to watch. My wife doesn't think about these things when she gets invited. She just jumps on anything that sounds like fun. Meanwhile my kids will be looking at me like what the heck. They'll have a few "needs" wrapped up. I don't think any "wants". We literally had a shopping cart at Target last night 1/4 full of the most random junk for stocking stuffers. I was crossing my fingers it would be under $200. Nope. Just under $400! That stuff stresses me out so much. I told my wife to stuff my stocking with transfer case seals and bearings. Stuff I already have now so we didn't need to get me anything else. :rofl:
So don't spend Christmas with another family that lives WAAAAAAY better off than your family does. Wish me luck.

Rant over. Just needed to vent.
That’s heartbreaking about your dad! Thank goodness you got home from your mission with a few days to spare.

You’re not alone in the Christmas thing, I despise it as well. It’s not that I feel inadequate about what I’m giving but more just a disgust for the show everyone else puts in. I get it that some people really are into it for the right reasons, but I don’t believe that’s the majority. We’re always stressing about not being able to gift everyone that deserves it and running out of money or food ideas.

Bah humbug 😒

moab_cj5

Supporting Member
I sincerely love the Christmas Season, but it's not without it's commercial downside. I'm sad it has gotten to the point where it isn't about Christ anymore. I'm even more sad to see folks feel bad they can't keep up with others.

I have tried to convince my wife we need to give our kids experiences and memories they'll cherish instead of gifts they won't remember. She isn't on board yet. I'd rather take our budget and find a trip or excursion they'll enjoy and remember instead of clothes they'll outgrow or toys they'll forget by next year. She wants them to have gifts to open on Christmas morning, so I haven't won that battle yet.

A few years ago we did homemade gifts only (other than clothes and need items). It was fun and meaningful, but a ton of planning and work to pull off! We haven't done it again for that reason.

I hope y'all find some peace and joy in getting to spend time with loved ones that are still here, and remember the good memories with those that have passed on.

Last edited:

moab_cj5

Supporting Member
Hope I can talk a few of you into spending a few nights in the desert when i'm done with my work marathon.
Name the dates and I'll do my damndest to be there!

So sorry to hear of your loss. :( That certainly changes the feeling of the season.

My Grandma passed away on 12/8, we burried her on Saturday. Its hard to say goodbye when it's expected. It's gut wrenching when it's sudden. If there is anything I can do for you, I'm here.

N-Smooth

Smooth Gang Founding Member
Sorry to hear that @TRD270. Hang in there!

My parents explained to me when I was younger that the holidays are hard for people that have lost loved ones around this time or are just living alone. It’s sad.

We’ve made a conscious effort to make our Christmas gifts to the kids more about needs and experiences but it’s tough because we like to spoil them too. I swear we’re still at like $400 per kid this year but a decent amount of that is Lagoon season passes, Rush gift cards and K-1 gift cards so at least it’s experience-centric. Either way they’re spoiled but I’m glad they’re always super appreciative. I’ve been to the extended family Christmas parties where kids are getting a couple grand in presents and it was tough to watch.

jeeper

DumpStor Owner
We realized pretty early on that we didn’t like spending big dollars on Christmas. The first mistake was always giving Santa the credit for the cool things, like dirt bikes and bicycles. The kids never appreciated that they came from us. Now Santa brings books and underwear.
A little later on, we realized that spending money for the sake of spending money was stupid, and instituted a $100 budget per child for Christmas and birthdays. I think we’ve had that going for about 8-10 years now.
It makes for some pretty humble Christmases for sure, especially if you compare it to their friends who get game consoles, electric bikes, and new cell phones all at the same time.
Every once in a while the kids will want something more expensive and will combine their birthday and Christmas budget for the one item.

This year I am especially impressed with my kids. All three of them decided to take their Christmas budget to buy lumber so that we can build them some loft beds. They are expecting zero presents under the tree.
And then my boy broke the screen on his phone this week and was pretty sad about it.
He asked if we could skip his bed and use his Christmas budget to fix his phone instead.
I was pretty impressed with his attitude about it.

Don’t get me wrong, I’ve got absolutely spoiled rotten brats for kids 95% of the time. But every once in a while they are pretty good.

My brother does something interesting, they open one present each and then spend an hour or two playing with it.
Then they will open another and do the same. Their entire day is spent opening presents.

I guess my point this is that everyone is different and has different approaches. And that’s ok.
It’s not fair to ourselves to only compare upwards.

We have had some discussion about how we feel Christmas with extended family has become too ridiculous as well. We just send each other a couple of links to what we want on Amazon and call it good. I’m going to bring it up at our family get together and see what we can do that would be more meaningful.

It’s hard to try to balance the spirit of Christmas for kids, and the logical nonsense of it as an adult. Hopefully we can continue to make it better each year.

mbryson

.......a few dollars more
Supporting Member
... I’ve been to the extended family Christmas parties where kids are getting a couple grand in presents and it was tough to watch.

That doesn't seem to make for well adjusted kids? Sometimes it does but I think there must be a LOT of parenting going on in those that have extravagant gifts and well adjusted kids?

N-Smooth

That doesn't seem to make for well adjusted kids? Sometimes it does but I think there must be a LOT of parenting going on in those that have extravagant gifts and well adjusted kids?
They’re mid-20’s now and they’re well-adjusted-ish. They still have their moments and I remind them occasionally that they’ve definitely enjoyed a luxurious lifestyle that’s unlike 99.9999999% of the world. I actually enjoy having those convos with them 🤣

Hickey

Burn-barrel enthusiast
Supporting Member
Several things in my life have brought me to a point where I’m extremely jaded about Xmas and holidays in general. Gift-giving is surrounded with guilt. I hate receiving gifts and I hate giving them, because there has always been this expectation that it must be done. It is things. Stuff. Nothing that truly matters to anyone.

This last year has been financially difficult, more so than I allowed myself to think about, because that difficulty was my choice to take a large pay cut for a new career. It’s been 1000% worth it, just hard. The financial hardship has just turned around and it’s time to dig back out, but we were immediately expected to start giving coworkers meaningless gifts for the holidays.

Time is the only gift that matters to me. Giving my time, and enjoying your time with me, that’s the only genuine gift I recognize.

02SE

Well I'll go because I feel I can talk about it, nowish..... I've never been a fan of Christmas for same reasons posted above. Thanksgiving is my favorite holiday and when the corporate greed started ruining my favorite holiday it made me despise christmas even more. Now I have another reason to hate this time of year.

Last week I unexpectedly lost my mother. Of course I was on a trip in a hotel room in Texas when I found out. I get a call from my sister and she's just screaming, felt helpless, and very alone, and terrible for not being able to be with my sister. Its been an incredibly rough week and i've pretty much been isolating myself. Thankfully I played with the Jeep a bit and have just been tinkering with the RCs to distract me.

Really could use some dirt therapy, but now that I feel I can(ish) people again I have to go back to work and pretty much booked with work for rest of the month. Joys of being junior guy in a holiday month. I will give Delta credit though, after I hung up with my sister I was obviously not in a state of mind to be operating an aircraft. Called the office, they had me off my trip and pay protected for it within 10 min, and booked on a flight home leaving 2 hours later.

So yeah, December sucks. Hope I can talk a few of you into spending a few nights in the desert when i'm done with my work marathon.

I am very sorry to hear of your mom passing. This will be my first Christmas without both parents, and can say I'm definitely not feeling the Christmas spirit. Not having them around hurts. People say it gets easier. I hope it does in time.

Best wishes that you can somehow find peace.

Thursty

Thank you all for continuing to post on this thread. Each post makes me recognize similar feelings in myself. Like a few here this Christmas will be my first without my parents. My mom, whose birthday was on Christmas, passed away in June. My sister will be experiencing her first Christmas without her husband and my twin brother his third Christmas without his wife. I am 44 so that should tell you something about how premature those loses are or feel anyway. Luckily my parents raised us as a very close family with strong testimonies of Jesus Christ. This is so comforting to us this time of year. We will gather together on Christmas Eve as we have always done and share memories and laugh together. My favorite holiday is and will always be Christmas in spite of its commercialization. The commercialization just means that I need to be more intentional of my thoughts and the reasons I celebrate this season. It means I have to be more intentional of the how I celebrate and the memories I create especially for my daughter. My favorite thing about Christmas will always be the music. Weather it’s a light hearted song about Mr. Grinch or hymns celebrating Christ’s birth they all help ground me and help me to remember the important things.

My thoughts are with each of you, my RME family, who are struggling right now. You are in my prayers. I hope everyone has a merry, safe, memorable and enjoyable Christmas.

PS. I thought about sharing this in the music thread but I feel it’s more appropriate here. Merry Christmas!

N-Smooth

My favorite thing about Christmas will always be the music. Weather it’s a light hearted song about Mr. Grinch or hymns celebrating Christ’s birth they all help ground me and help me to remember the important things.
If you like Christmas music you should check out The Lower Lights. You can find their stuff on YT or on Applemusic and the like. We've seen their December concert a number of times and it's always a blast. Check out this video and if you are only going to watch a few minutes, skip to like 5:15. I play their music in our house all December. They're not my typical kind of music being a Christian/folk/blue grass style but a guy from our old ward plays the piano/organ/keyboard for them and the concert just feels like a celebration of Christ, music, life etc.

I love it.

Last edited: