Project: Cheap! But still OK.

Bart

The WJ was nicer, cheaper, more luxurious, and more capable than any JK. The WJ really is a win win win vehicle.
I would agree with nicer, cheaper, and luxurious, but will have to draw the line on more capable than any JK.

skippy

Pretend Fabricator
You can disagree all you want. But you will be wrong....

I love a well built JK but after having both and wheeling both on the exact same trails on the exact same tires, I can say without a doubt the WJ that I built was far more capable than my one ton, linked JKU.

Tacoma

Et incurventur ante non
I"ve been wanting a YJ to trail out, but.... WJ's are easier and cheaper to get lately. Plus, AC. It's kind of tempting, They're a lot skinnier than a K5, too, which is really the only reason I want a YJ anyway-- less body to hit everything. I gotta get off KSL.

Anyway, I'm pretty stoked about this project, and I"m kind of excited to see what the bits end up in. :D

gijohn40

too poor to wheel... :(
Hey Ilean you want to supplement this project and do the gears on a dana44 for me? the axle is out of the vehicle and I'll get you all the parts.....

I Lean

Mbryson's hairdresser
Vendor
I haven't had any time to devote to this lately, but I have acquired a few things to add to the cost list:

New brake pads F&R $52
90 degree bolt-on valve stems $25
Beadlock bolts 3/8" x 1.75...180 of them with nylocks and washers $65

Cody

Random Quote Generator
Supporting Member
When can I take it for a test spin?

As for the WJ vs JK debate. I don't know. There are a lot of variables there and I've been around some pretty bad ass WJ's that climbed stuff like Rock Pile pretty nimbly (granted 12 ish years ago and I'm sure RP is different now). But they are big saggy assed rigs for sure. Just on weight alone I'd tend to side with the JK, plus it's way less work to get to 40's on the JK.

My old purple ZJ that I sold Bart's son....that rig had some warts but man did it work and I would put it against any similarly built wrangler... and I think similarly built WJ's work better than the ZJ's.

Last edited:

RockChucker

When can I take it for a test spin?

As for the WJ vs JK debate. I don't know. There are a lot of variables there and I've been around some pretty bad ass WJ's that climbed stuff like Rock Pile pretty nimbly (granted 12 ish years ago and I'm sure RP is different now). But they are big saggy assed rigs for sure. Just on weight alone I'd tend to side with the JK, plus it's way less work to get to 40's on the JK.

My old purple ZJ that I sold Bart's son....that rig had some warts but man did it work and I would put it against any similarly built wrangler... and I think similarly built WJ's work better than the ZJ's.
4 door JKs have a higher curb weight than the fattest WJ package according to autoblog (4081 vs 4315 lbs). Depending on how much weight you'd add to either, they'd both be whales. I've heard of plenty 4 door JKs/JLs in the 7000lb range :oops: All thanks to how much crap you can bolt on to them. I built my TJ with a weight conscious eye and it still weighs 4800 lbs.

neagtea

Supporting Member
Not too much to update yet, but just to document a couple more purchases:

Paint $100 (12 cans satin black, 10 cans primer)
7 quarts gear oil $30

I got the diff covers painted and installed, and the axles filled with the oil. (85-140 since it was on sale....wow it's thick!) I'll add one more hour of labor for that stuff, but it was spread over several days so it's probably inaccurate. :p
I had to put a R&P in my junk and ended up with the 85/140 also
Filled the sink with hot water and put the bottles in to cut down on time and effort filling

Hickey

Burn-barrel enthusiast
Supporting Member
FWIW, my JK weighs 4,800 without me in it. That's a 2 door without WAHN-TAHNS and no back seat, but the spare is in the tub. I need to go weigh Britney again, as the weight that's stuck in my head from 18 years ago was 3,800.

I Lean

Mbryson's hairdresser
Vendor
So I took @DAA's idea, ran it through @spaggyroe flowchart, and came up with "Carry On". Nowhere in the flow chart does it mention "is it ugly" or similar, so I guess we're good to go?

I agreed to buy this sight unseen, and looking at it after the fact I think I overpaid. But it's a done deal now, and it still was relatively cheap. I will say, I could have gotten an SUV for quite a bit cheaper--but I didn't want one. :p

$1750:IMG_20210408_181836691_HDR.jpg