redbulltj

I'm a cutter
Pickles told me springs and shocks are for little boys!:eek: Either way, get that piglet done! Also, when you speak of St George, are you talking about SW Crawlfest 2010?

Last edited:

GOAT

Back from the beyond
The jeep moved under it's own power tonight. Just in time for it to start snowing.

I decided to throw the coils in it so I can spin it around and start working on the back. There is a TON of work left to get it ready for wheeling, but hearing start and it move after four months was encouraging. I am definitely going to abandon the idea of running coils and switch to airshocks.

Highlights.

I gained 2" of WB by centering the coils over the housing. Was it worth it? Maybe.

The jeep only gained 1" of lift from axle CL to perch. Not bad at all.

Rotated the bottom perches to the same angle as the upper. Kept the coils pretty straight. They'll be cut up and used for airbumps now-_-
004-2.jpg

002.jpg

Big thanks to Kiel and Tim for the rollers;) Any less backspacing and it won't make it out of the garage with 42s.
001-3.jpg

I've been in the same boat as you with my build as far as what type of suspension (std. coil, AS, CO) to run. Air shocks are looking good to me too but I need to do a little more research on set up... I know nothing about them. I'm guessing they're nothing like the Gabriels that I ran on the back of my 70' El Camino back in 81'.:rolleyes:

GOAT

Back from the beyond
what model hobart are you using? and how do you like it?

I'm using a hobart 180. It's not too bad. It will weld 5/16 with fluxcore wire, which I hate to admit using more often than solid core.

I don't like the limited heat selections, but that has been addressed on the 187
http://www.hobartwelders.com/products/wirefeed/handler187/

These guys had great service and prices when I bought my 180 from them.
http://www.weldingsuppliesfromioc.com/servlet/the-2729/HOBART-HANDLER-187-MIG/Detail

If I were to stay in the 180 class, I would go with this one. Redbulltj has it and is very happy with the results.
http://www.weldingsuppliesfromioc.com/servlet/the-1880/LINCOLN-POWER-MIG-180C/Detail

Lastly, I would start combing KSL etc for welders. The current economic collapse of the country, and particularly in construction has these things going for dirt cheap.

Marcus

GOAT

Back from the beyond
*UPDATE*

Bolted the front end together, and backed it out of the garage. It was time for some cleaning and organizing in preparation for the rear axle install.

Sexy time:rofl:
001-4.jpg

002-1.jpg

These things get bigger every time I look at them
004-3.jpg

006-1.jpg

Back in the hole
013-1.jpg

My spacious workstation-_-
012-1.jpg

019.jpg

020.jpg

GOAT

Back from the beyond
Something like that:p

Jenn has a birthday in DEC as well as christmas at the end of the month. Shock money has been diverted a little.........I'll have it sitting on all fours before new years though.

Seeing this TJ on 42s has given me a little motivation.
DSC00012.jpg

chuck1.jpg

Lifelong Jeeper

Goat,

Did you read the entire thread on that TJ? I wanted to scream at the continual hijacking, uneducated opinions, and constant questions about previously covered content.

But oh man, that TJ is so sick! Get yours done already! BTW, what did you think about the steering gear box relocation?

GOAT

Back from the beyond
Goat,

Did you read the entire thread on that TJ? I wanted to scream at the continual hijacking, uneducated opinions, and constant questions about previously covered content.

But oh man, that TJ is so sick! Get yours done already! BTW, what did you think about the steering gear box relocation?

Welcome to JF. Reading through tech threads over there will require an immediate cat-scan.

The steering box mod and overall build is pretty damn cool. The 42s look absolutely huge on there. The WB is a little too short for my tastes, and my only other gripe about treks is the rear control arm angles and front radius arms. Overall, they seem to build some good stuff up there.

On a side note, I ended up gaining 2" of front stretch with the box in the stock location by using the genright pitman arm..

GOAT

Back from the beyond
I want to add SO much to this but... I will just agree :p

BTW, How come you haven't voted (TJofY) :D

Now, BOT... have you considered or looked into ORI struts for your build? Your thoughts?

TJofY? send me a link.

ORI struts would be great. Todd from ontrack in southern utah was running a buggy with a cantilever/ORI setup, it was pretty sweet.

With that being said, it has been enough of a stretch to commit to airshocks. Plus, I can get them for 1400.00.

GOAT

Back from the beyond
bump...

just because I'm looking for a little motivation myself. :greg:

I need some as well. Winter sucks, and is kicking my ass on this build. I've torn the rest of the rear suspension out and started mocking up the new brackets and arms. Found out a few things.

Rear crossmember is going to hit the axle.
011.jpg

The rear is going to stick out further than I expected at 112" wb. I may settle at 110-111
006-2.jpg

I'm going to have to cut the rear frame out no matter what suspension I run.
010-1.jpg

009.jpg

D70U brings the smooth sexy:greg:
013-2.jpg

D70U brings the smooth sexy:greg:
OK, refresh my memory as to just why the FF14bolt is so popular? Thanks, now you got me re-thinking... again.-_-

I personally think the 112wb looks pretty cool, no such thing as "to good" of a departure angle right.:D