GOAT

Back from the beyond
A buddy called me yesterday giving me sh*t about my build taking so long, and bragging that he was going to KOH. Here is what followed......not much, but some progress:p

Starting off, my lamp exploded for no particular reason
006-3.jpg

undeterred, I cut off my old lower link brackets and cleaned up some of the welds.
008-1.jpg

Cut the old coilbuckets off
007-3.jpg

Started my lower crossmember.
002-2.jpg

Which is more of a PITA than it looks.
003-4.jpg

dust
005-2.jpg

getting closer.........

GOAT

Back from the beyond
*update-ish*

Found a pre-fab truss from barnes4wd, and ordered it and the rest of the parts to install the 70. Everything should be here in a week or so.

Lastly. Almost died when I got a quote on ORI struts..............:eek:

Bart

Wish I were going, but no, not rigless. I'm going to try and goad Bart and Kill to make a trip with me this fall, if bart still has a rig by then:p

Hahahaha, that could be a possibility, and I think you have a very valid point. You never know and I'll be the first to admit that if this doesn't work out like I hope it will (read decent daily driver), it will be on the market. I finally got to drive it on the road yesterday and plan to license it this week. Only time will tell.;)

N8RB8R

Is your rig sitting at ride height on the front, and if so how is all your steering clearance and do you have any pics. I am relocating the steering box on mine and still maybe only have 4.5" up travel clearance.

GOAT

Back from the beyond
Is your rig sitting at ride height on the front, and if so how is all your steering clearance and do you have any pics. I am relocating the steering box on mine and still maybe only have 4.5" up travel clearance.

It is currently sitting on 4" front coils, and the steering clearance is enough to lower it another 1" which is the plan with airshocks. There are a couple of pics of the steering a few pages back. Right now, I will have about 4"-5" of uptravel, but I'm trying to use airbumps and LT airshocks to compensate.

If you a need a measurement or pic in particular, let me know.

GOAT

Back from the beyond
*parts update*

Received my D70 specific truss from barnes 4wd, and the rest of my tabs/brackets from ballistic today. I can now install the rear axle and get some measurements to know what length airshock to run:cool:

Oh, on a side note, I was strongly considering buying ORI struts for the rear but there is a 12-14 week minimum wait to ship. That's a long time to wait after spending that much coin:eek:

002-3.jpg

GOAT

Back from the beyond
Got the rest of my parts to install my rear suspension yesterday and will try to get the axle tacked in place this weekend. I am coming down from 12 rounds with acute bronchitis (kiel's exhaust) and may not last long. I'll post up the results.

Random inspiration. Rokmen LJ on 42" MTRS w. 3" springs :cool:
vegas_42s.JPG

freak_wall_42s_3.JPG

Herzog

somewhat damaged
Admin
Those tires are HUGE. Can't wait to see some more progress... I hope we motivated you enough last weekend.

GOAT

Back from the beyond
Those tires are HUGE. I hope we motivated you enough last weekend.

Your buggy worked EXTREMELY well, and was a good example of what a well thought-out, and executed build should look and perform like. I'm glad that I have been working to keep my A/S and A/D numbers under control, and also adjustable so that I can tune the suspension to the airshocks.

I definitely got to see what worked and what didn't, making the trip money well spent;)

GOAT

Back from the beyond
I can't wait to see your Jeep finished. I took mine out the other day and sheered my passenger arm off the knuckle.....I am going to order new knuckles from Wayne.

Funny, Kiel and I were just mentioning that you were long overdue for that to happen:p

GOAT

Back from the beyond
Was able to weld up my cross-member before I had to come inside.

A buddy of mine suggested instead of flush mounting and beveling the welded edges, try gapping the butt-welds at a little less than 1/8 of an inch to achieve greater penetration. I tested the welds beveled while still flush mounted, gapped at .035, and just under an 1/8. The wider gap had the best penetration and consistently took the most hits from the hammer to fail. Nice call Ben;)

Here's what little I accomplished.
004-4.jpg

001-5.jpg

006-4.jpg

Tomorrow I'll mount this P.O.S up and and tack the arms in.

GOAT

Back from the beyond
I have been pretty much "break free" for about 4 years, I was loooonnnggg over due.

what are the specs on the wheels you are currently running (BS,width, and total track)? I am looking at a set of 17x9.5 wheel with 4"of BS, but want to make sure it will fit in the garage.