REKLUSE AUTOMATIC MOTORCYCLE CLUTCHES

rholbrook

Its done, after much internal turmoil of what clutch to go with I decided on the Revlok Dyna Ring

http://www.revloc.com/index.cfm/id/2/Dirt-Bikes/

I spoke to a very helpful Alan at Revloc and read every article on the internet and decided to go with the Revloc. The two major reasons I choose the Revloc is I still have my clutch I can use if I want and I can bump start if needed. Its only $379 and if it sucks, I will get the Rekluse but based on everything I have read, I will be happy with it. I was told I would have it by Friday so I will be testing it on Saturday.

Caleb

Awesome! I've also read the install on the Dyna Ring is piece of cake. I've been leaning heavily towards the Dyna Ring so it will be good to hear your feedback on it.

Caleb

If I can get my bike back together. I've got the front and rear suspension torn down (maintenance on the front, setting the race sag properly on the rear). I should get all the tools I need tomorrow to get it back together. As long as I get it back together then I'd be game.

rholbrook

Thanks, I actually read this thread prior to ordering the RevLoc. I know that there were some issues with Huskies as well but both have hydrolic clutches. I have a cable clutch as you know and the WR was actually one of the first bikes to get the RevLoc. Like I said, I really wrestled with this decission and I hope I mad the right decission but if not, I will send it back and get the Rekluse.

Caleb

(obviously) I've seen that thread :D but he is the only case I can find that they flat out could not get the Dyna Ring to work for them. Every other experience I have found (read through Thumper Talk, there are a ton of them) the people like them better than the Rekluse. I'm in the same boat as Russ, I've been going over pros and cons for a few weeks now. One big pro for the Rekluse is that they are just up in Idaho, whereas Revloc are Aussies (granted, most products that come from Oz are good quality). I'll be real curious to hear Russ' feedback on the Dyna Ring.

anderson750

I'm working on it Rose
(obviously) I've seen that thread :D but he is the only case I can find that they flat out could not get the Dyna Ring to work for them. Every other experience I have found (read through Thumper Talk, there are a ton of them) the people like them better than the Rekluse. I'm in the same boat as Russ, I've been going over pros and cons for a few weeks now. One big pro for the Rekluse is that they are just up in Idaho, whereas Revloc are Aussies (granted, most products that come from Oz are good quality). I'll be real curious to hear Russ' feedback on the Dyna Ring.

aaaahhhhhh...let me put 2 & 2 together.

Supergper on RME is Caleb on MU:D. Next I will figure out world peace.

rholbrook

There are 2 different versions of the rev loc. They have the original version that is similar to the rekluse and replaces the whole clutch, basket and all. The new version (the one Caleb posted) just replaces a few (3-4) of your clutch plates. It installs just like the plates. I believe I read that this version will include a new set of clutch plates as well. No need to send your clutch out.
Corbin, you are always welcome to ride with me. I would have extended the offer and even thought about it but didn't think you would want to come to bountiful for a couple of hours.

Caleb

Corbin, you are always welcome to ride with me. I would have extended the offer and even thought about it but didn't think you would want to come to bountiful for a couple of hours.
So I'm trying to drag my buddy along but he's worried about the kind of riding it is. Is it technical or more single track/trail riding? I think after seeing me broken after HITR he's afraid to ride with you guys. :rofl:

BTW, what time and where are we meeting? My buddy and I (if he comes) will just head straight from work.

Corban_White

Well, it looks like I'm not going to make it. :( I didn't have time to get my tire changed and my butt is still cringing every time I think about sitting on the bike. I would love to come up after work one day next week though.

rholbrook

Dont worry about the tire and dont worry about your back side until tomorrow night and come with us. We are planning on 5ish at the parking lot at the B

rholbrook

The RevLoc showed up this today via FedEx. I told my wife I was in charge of my own birthday present this year and the RevLoc is what I chose. She got the package and told me I had to wait until my birthday to install it because she know how excited I was to get it. I told her I was going to ride something on the eve of my birthday and it was either going to be my WR with the new clutch in it or her, either way I was riding something tonight. 30 minutes later, I was testing out the WR with the RevLoc in it. So far so cool but I will post pictures, installation notes and comments as well as my first official technical ride thoughts tonight or tomorrow.

I am heading to Tuttle Loop shortly.

rholbrook

Installation and Thoughts

I received my new RevLock Dyna Ring via FedEx Thursday. I was planning on a ride at Tuttle Loop Thursday evening so it couldn’t have come at a better time to where I could install it and test it.

Packaging was good and the individual parts packaged and labeled properly. I didn’t expect the Yamaha steel plates being replaced but there were new Yamaha OEM plates. The difference between the new plates and stock plates were the stock plates had little dimples in them where the new ones did not.

Alan at RevLock asked me questions about my riding style and said he would set the Dyna Ring up with 3 springs which means it would engage at low RPM and when it came, it had three springs in it and the remaining three were included if I wanted to change it to engage at a higher RPM.

Installation
I started by taking off the clutch cover and removing the bolts and springs so I could remove the pressure plate. The instructions were very detailed but what it boils down to on the installation is you replace every stock steel plate with a new steel plate and stick the Dyna Ring in the middle of the clutch pack. You start with a friction plate and put a new steel plate followed by another friction plate and so on so you have this combination. You have to make sure you coat the plates and Dyna Ring with oil as you put them in.
FP-SP-FP-ST-FP-DR-FP-SP-FP-SP-FP
FP=Friction Plate
SP=Steel Plate
DR=Dyna Ring

You end up with two extra friction plates and the stock steel plates that you can keep to return to stock if you want.

I spent nearly 30 minutes installing this clutch but I used hand tools and spent a lot of time making sure I didn’t miss anything. As long as you get it in the above order, you can’t fail at it. If I had to do it again, 10-15 minutes tops. The installation was as easy as RevLoc claims.

Adjustment
The instructions tell you to start the bike in neutral to let it idle until the engine is warmed up. Then you pull in the clutch lever, put the bike in first and slowly let the clutch out. My WR’s clutch was grabbing a little but the instructions tell you to adjust your clutch cable until it stops wanting to go forward. I had very little adjustment to accomplish this. Again, easy task.

First Ride
Some friends of mine, (minus Caleb and Corbin because they flaked out) 6 total left for the B in Bountiful to ride Buckland Ridge and Tuttle Loop left about 5 pm. Those of us that were street legal rode while two had to trailer. The feel on the road was very similar to a snowmobile. If you’re in 1st or 2nd gear, the hit was very similar to having a normal clutch other than not having to use the clutch. It pulled hard with no slippage. In fact, from a dead stop, if I raced it, you wouldn’t know it was there because it just hooked up. Where you notice a difference is when you are lugging it in a higher gear, the motor RPM goes up and you literally feel the bike pulling faster and faster like a snowmobile. It took me a couple of miles on the trail to get used to it.

PROs
Love having the ability to use a higher gear.
No engine chug when you would normally lug it in a higher gear.
No chain slap when lugging it.
Quieter during lugging.
Literally ride it like a mountain bike where you can start or stop at will (anywhere), ride slow around obstacles without stalling.
Won’t stall out.
I can adjust the automatic completely out with the clutch adjustment (No need unless you have to bump start it for any reason)
Engine braking is great. Downhill on a few spots if I did slow to a near stop and the engine braking did stop because the clutch disengages, all I had to do was give it a little gas and it’s engaged again.
I could go on and on but I think you get the idea that I love this thing.

CONs
Only one. When you stop on a slope and want to get off of your bike, you would normally leave it in gear, shut it off and put the kick stand down and not worry about it rolling back. Well, you can’t do this now. The bike will roll back so you have to find a flatter place to park. Not a big deal.

Conclusion
Obviously, you can tell I really like the Rev Lock Dyna Ring. I can honestly say that after a 50 mile ride, I would never own another bike with out one. All but two of the guys I rode with are going to get one now. The two that aren’t, well one rode it and said I was a cheater and he wants one but doesn’t see it in the budget any time soon(wife will say no is how that translates) but he rode my WR up the hard section twice because he couldn’t believe it. The other wouldn’t ride it because he said he would never get one because he is a purist. Whatever, he is still young and dumb. He wouldn’t even ride it.

There were two reasons I bought my WR. The first being a heavier flywheel, the second being a headlight. This would be perfect for a YZF, CRF, RMF, etc because now you can ride the trails without fear of stalling. It is amazing and basically eliminates the need for a heavier flywheel. You just can’t kill it now. I could see the need to adjust the auto clutch out for the sand dunes but for any other riding, I want it.

At the end of the two difficult parts on Tuttle Loop, I hadn’t even broken a sweat where the others were pushing and feathering the clutches to get through it. I had to ride one of the other guy’s WR up one section because he couldn’t do it.

I have wanted to gear my bike up but didn’t want to lose the trail capability. Now I can, its just amazing the difference it makes to be able to use a higher gear and not have to shift up and down so much. Getting use to it was easy for me because I rarely used the clutch anyway after I start out. I was always taught to shift without using a clutch so that part was easy for me.

If your thinking about one, come ride mine or just get one anyway, you’ll love it.

Attachments

• box.JPG
    box.JPG
    42.9 KB · Views: 2
  • parts.JPG
    parts.JPG
    94.6 KB · Views: 3
  • dynaring.JPG
    dynaring.JPG
    56.6 KB · Views: 5
  • clutch.JPG
    clutch.JPG