Engine- VQ40 DOHC ~ 4.0-liter DOHC V6, 265hp and 284 lb-ft torque

Transmission- 5-speed A/T

T-Case- 4wd Stock

Axles- Stock

Suspension- Top Gun Customs spacers, and AC shackles

Wheels and Tires- 235/8516 10 Ply M/T's on Toyota Tacoma OE steel spare wheels

Winch- Not yet

Lighting- 100w IPF lights up front, w/ clear covers

Favorite Trails- Anywhere in the San Rafael Swell, or central/southern Utah is where I explore.

It got the name 'Stalker' while sitting at the dealership, before we even bought it. My wife told me the color was 'Night Armor', and later on I was trying to recall the name of the color, but instead of 'Night Armor', I called it 'Night Stalker'... So 'Stalker' just stuck.

Day after we picked it up from the dealer
100_3126.jpg

As of 11-18-09
DSC_1536.jpg

2009 Mods:
Top Gun Customs spacers
AC shackles.
235/85/16 10 ply M/T's
SpiderTrax aluminum wheel adapters (6x4.5 - 6x5.5)
Trailgear sliders - customised
Cobra DX III CB radio
Yaesu 2800M FM radio
MaxiTrip - Scan tool
Raingler half barrier
IPF driving lights with poly clear shields
Mountaineering Rack - Custom built
Quickfists - Maglight/Fire extinguisher
TruckBedez air mattress

Long term mods:
Skid plates
Front Bumper w/ winch
Rear full bumper
Roof rack - custom built
Xoskel Lo Pro

Last edited:

SAMI

Formerly Beardy McGee
Retreads, huh? I never thought of that.

I've heard lots of great things about these tires, so I figured for the price I couldn't not try them. I don't have the money for brand new name brand tires right now.

Check out the difference in height compared to my worn 255/85's..
46d46bec.jpg

44b7d359.jpg

ade11d8f.jpg

SAMI

Formerly Beardy McGee
That tread pattern looks just like my Wrangler MT/R's. I'll have to look into that.

You oughta go for these. 235/85's are a kickass size, and would be stellar on your zuk. $90 buck a pop. Or these if you have 15" wheels; $66 a pop, and C load rated.. So a bit more forgiving than an E load rated tire under a zuk.

Stephen

Who Dares Wins
Those would be pretty sweet, but I've got a bit of tread left on the Samurai's tires. Right now I'm looking for tires for the Pathy.
How are the sidewalls on those retreads?

SAMI

Formerly Beardy McGee
The sidewalls are generally the original sidewalls from the casing. One good benefit to these tires is that they are already 'broken in' if you air down for some wheeling.

What exactly are you after in asking about the sidewalls? Thickness? Durability? Those all depend solely on what casing (original tire) is used. In my case, mine are Nitto Terra Grappler casings and are Load E rated; thus they are equivalent to a 10 ply = thick.

Stephen

Who Dares Wins
Basically I want to known that the sidewalls are strong enough not to get punctured. :)
I've never had a problem with that, but I've only ever run BFG AT's and the MT/R's which are both well regarded in their sidewall strength.
I'm sure I'm over thinking things, just worried about the additional weight of the Pathy.

Last edited:

SAMI

Formerly Beardy McGee
I took them to the Firestone on 900 west and W North Temple, since I have lifetime alignments and it's close to my work...

SAMI

Formerly Beardy McGee
$61+tax. They originally told me $74+tax, and I said no. I told them I pay cahs and to give me a better price than that.

MattL

$61+tax. They originally told me $74+tax, and I said no. I told them I pay cahs and to give me a better price than that.

That is not too bad.
What size was the old tires ? When do we get to see pictures of them mounted on the rig?

SAMI

Formerly Beardy McGee
The ones that are coming off are worn down 255/85-16 Interco Trxus. Awesome tire, incredible traction in snow and mud.. Sad to see them go.

I should pick the truck up around 5pm today, so pics will follow shortly after that.

MattL

Good, I cant wait to see them. Just wondering why you chose Nitto Terra Grappler carcasses vs say BFG or Goodyear.

I cant decide on 285/75R16 GUARD DOG M/T (E) which is 33.2 vs 315/75R16 GUARD DOG M/T (D) at 34.7.

I dont know if I have room for the larger and I don't know if I will notice the E rating of the tire on a 97 4runner

How long did you have to wait for your tires as they say they are on back order.

Thanks again!!!

SAMI

Formerly Beardy McGee
I didn't specify which carcass I got, so long as it is E load I'm fine with whatever. I did specify that the set match, which is something I think they try to do anyways.

I was told to expect 4-5 week delivery, and it was exactly 3 weeks from order to delivered.

SAMI

Formerly Beardy McGee
On the tires? Or the mounting?

Tires, I had a 10% off coupon code on top of their already lowered current 'sale price'. These tires are vastly cheaper than a brand spanking new tire. I paid $106.04 per tire.

MattL

On the tires? Or the mounting?

Tires, I had a 10% off coupon code on top of their already lowered current 'sale price'. These tires are vastly cheaper than a brand spanking new tire. I paid $106.04 per tire.

Thanks.
Ill look for a coupon.

SAMI

Formerly Beardy McGee
Phone rings....

Me "This is Jason"
Tech "Hey, uh, your tires don't fit"
Me "Front or back?"
Tech "Uh, the back of the wheel well is rubbing."
Me "Front or back wheel well?"
Tech "Back of the front wheel well, it's rubbing."
Me "Are the tires at full turn or in the straight position?"
<tire guy yells out to the tech in the shop for clarification>
Tech "They're turned when they rub, fine when they're straight. And we haven't even let the truck off the lift yet."
Me "Don't worry about it, I'll take care of it."
Tech "Ok."