Engine- VQ40 DOHC ~ 4.0-liter DOHC V6, 265hp and 284 lb-ft torque

Transmission- 5-speed A/T

T-Case- 4wd Stock

Axles- Stock

Suspension- Top Gun Customs spacers, and AC shackles

Wheels and Tires- 235/8516 10 Ply M/T's on Toyota Tacoma OE steel spare wheels

Winch- Not yet

Lighting- 100w IPF lights up front, w/ clear covers

Favorite Trails- Anywhere in the San Rafael Swell, or central/southern Utah is where I explore.

It got the name 'Stalker' while sitting at the dealership, before we even bought it. My wife told me the color was 'Night Armor', and later on I was trying to recall the name of the color, but instead of 'Night Armor', I called it 'Night Stalker'... So 'Stalker' just stuck.

Day after we picked it up from the dealer
100_3126.jpg

As of 11-18-09
DSC_1536.jpg

2009 Mods:
Top Gun Customs spacers
AC shackles.
235/85/16 10 ply M/T's
SpiderTrax aluminum wheel adapters (6x4.5 - 6x5.5)
Trailgear sliders - customised
Cobra DX III CB radio
Yaesu 2800M FM radio
MaxiTrip - Scan tool
Raingler half barrier
IPF driving lights with poly clear shields
Mountaineering Rack - Custom built
Quickfists - Maglight/Fire extinguisher
TruckBedez air mattress

Long term mods:
Skid plates
Front Bumper w/ winch
Rear full bumper
Roof rack - custom built
Xoskel Lo Pro

Last edited:

SAMI

Formerly Beardy McGee
have some weights on them there rims...

First impression, I regretted the buy. There was an awful howling on the freeway. Then I realised that there was a 50mph side wind creating the awful howling. The tires themselves have a quiet, higher pitched whine. It sounds like most average cars IMO. FAR Far quieter than the 255/85 Trxus that were just on there. At first they seemed really squishy at freeway speeds too; again I was regretting the purchase. Then, I realised that was due to the wind. The tires feel nice and stable, and SMOOTH! Really smooth.

Time to get out the sawzall and do some trimming. These sumbiches rub. :)

d6c38992.jpg

531b1cc1.jpg

62d3ca35.jpg

477e0678.jpg

Last edited:

YOUKNOW

Thanks for posting about the retreads. I have been looking into getting some of these next buy around. Keep us updated on your thoughts after some time as well.

alwaysxj

one hot moma!!!!
So I have been wanting to order these tires for some time, and now it is time. On their web site it shows that they are out of stock. How long did it take to get them? I need them buy the end of April for the jeep to pass safty. Also how did you get this 10% off code?

SAMI

Formerly Beardy McGee
I got them in exactly 3 weeks, on 'backorder' status. I got the 10% off from a group buy that a Nissan forum had going through Feb.

SAMI

Formerly Beardy McGee
I definately like them, smooth and quiet compared to what I'm used to. I just tracked the first tank of fuel with these tires which got 15.8mpg's.

SAMI

Formerly Beardy McGee
That's a loss of 1mpg on average. But I've been fighting a lot of wind in the last few days, so I expect it to fluctuate.

sLcREX

Formerly Maldito X
Pretty sweet Xterra, you're in Magna? I dont think I ever see it around town, but then I dont spend much time in town either, so that could have something to do with it. lol And yeah, this wind has been kicking some butt, my 22re cannot keep up lol.

SAMI

Formerly Beardy McGee
Hella Black Magic's converted to HID.. 55w 6k temp. I'm thinking of a slightly different approach to mounting these.

971751a9.jpg

dentedvw

uıɐƃɐ ʇɐɥʇ op ʇ,uoʍ ı
I ordered the same tires. Up to four weeks now. I called mid week, and was told they are at least another 3 weeks away. I told them I am moving across the US in June, and I expect them to be here well before that. Heh!
Flippin awesome deal you scored there, I looked for a coupon, but I wasn't looking in February. Ah well.
I also didn't specify casings, or that they match. I only told them I need something with a durable sidewall, because I am going to abuse them. That could be the holdup. :(

Love those lights.

SAMI

Formerly Beardy McGee
1,000 mile Update on the TreadWright tires..

To recap, I have 4ea Treadwright 285/75-16 Guarddogs, on Nitto Terra Grappler load E carcasses. I had noticed last weekend that one tire has major manufacturing defects, and others are showing signs of similar failures. I noticed that the largest sidewall lugs are cracking/tearing away from the sidewall. One tire has every lug doing this, one has about half, another has 3-4, and one is showing a few hairline cracks in the same spot on those larger lugs. These are just the lugs on the outside facing part of the tires; I have not inspected the inside lugs and their conditions.

I contacted TW with a warranty claim, and hoped to get one or two tires replaced. They decided midweek to send me an identical set of 4 tires at no cost, and I do not have to send my current tires in to them. That's awesome customer service if you ask me. FWIW, I got these tires in a group buy with a few dozen Xterra guys from a national Xterra forum, and none of them have this issue. Seems to be an isolated incident.

These tires are smooth on the road, despite needing quite a bit of weights. I like the way that they handle on the road, and they get awesome traction in the dirt. I have yet to get them in any major mud, but I hear they pack easily and should more or less be considered as a very aggressive all-terrain tire rather than a mud-terrain tire.

Cracking sidewall lugs:
f96620dd.jpg

db355c2a.jpg

Last edited:

MattL

Great service but, wonder what the longevity will be. I have been on the fence with these for a while now. Also, I take it your going to have to front the mount and balance fees again, right?

SAMI

Formerly Beardy McGee
Great service but, wonder what the longevity will be. I have been on the fence with these for a while now. Also, I take it your going to have to front the mount and balance fees again, right?

I read their warranty details before I purchased, and in that it is specifically written that TW will not reimburse any amount for mount/balance unless it was done in their shop. While it would be nice to have mount/balance covered, I'm not terribly worried about it; I wanted to get them redone to have more weights put on the inside of the wheels.