Sixstring's Miata Discussion/Build Thread

sixstringsteve

There are a bunch of different roll bars for these. I want to still be able to open and close the top with the rear glass window, which really limits my options. My favorite roll bar is the blackbird fabworks gt3. I'm not 100% sure it's compatible with a glass rear window, but I sure like the look and design of it.

blackbird_fabworx_GT3_roll_bar_miata_rear34_ht_off-thumb-717x477-92239.jpg

blackbird_fabworx_GT3_roll_bar_miata_front_ht_off-thumb-717x477-92246.jpg

But those are expensive and require you to drop your car off in so cal. So I'll probably just get something like this:

boss frog clearview.jpg

sixstringsteve

The bummer is, most of these come dangerously close to your head in the stock seats. So they recommend replacing the seats with something with a taller headrest so you don't bang your head on the bar in a crash/rollover. There's not a whole lot of room to work with in these miatas, so my options are pretty limited.

carsonc1974

Those are cool looking roll bars... Im sure there are many local guys that could whip one out in a couple of hours, Heck, I could if I currently had a shop to work in. I cant see how it mounts, but the overall design looks pretty simple...

Rock Taco

What do those cages tie into in the rear? I dont see a whole lot of structure back there from your pictures on page 3 when you replaced the top.

sixstringsteve

For the most part, the roll bars attach at the floor behind the seat, at the seatbelt attachment bolts, and beneath the pan behind the rear deck. The pillars go through the top layer of sheet metal down to the thicker part of the body. These cars only weigh 2300 lbs, and they don't have a frame so you've got less to work with than a 4x4.

Last edited:

sixstringsteve

once it stays above 45* at night the sticky summer tires will be going back on it. I'll probably be getting a roll bar sometime this summer, then I can take it to the track. There's not much more I plan on doing to it.

sixstringsteve

You got it. I'd be happy to give anyone a ride. It's not the quickest car on the planet. In fact, it might be one of the slowest, but it can take corners quicker than most cars.

jeep-N-montero

Formerly black_ZJ