Sixstring's Miata Discussion/Build Thread

thefirstzukman

Finding Utah
Supporting Member
WE just took a Miata in on trade, 2001 Hard Top with 6 speed and this and that.... Really tempting to keep it, but I picked up a sidekick at auction last week and can afford either of them.... but the Sidekick was bought for me so I am kind of obligated to take it. Maybe it will hang around a while and I can snag it. I would like to stuff the engine and tranny into a samurai and stuff a 5.3 into the Miata.

thefirstzukman

Finding Utah
Supporting Member
Well, it looks like I am the owner of the Miata, I think for now it will remain stock after a couple little fixes. The previous owner did the timing belt and it sounds as if one of the cams is off a tooth. I haven even dove it yet... the Drivers seat is in pretty bad shape so I need to decide what to do with that too. I like the idea of the Hard Top, but I also want to look into putting a soft top on it eventually. I figure it will be a fun little car to play around in and it might be what I need to motivate my daughter to get her learners permit.

UNSTUCK

But stuck more often.
Speaking of seats, I'm building a 1965 Sunbeam Alpine for a customer right now. He has talked about Miata being a good choice, but really he has no idea. What are your guys' thoughts on the Miata seats? Or maybe another seat that is easy to find. We are fine to redo them when the car goes to upholstery.

thefirstzukman

Finding Utah
Supporting Member
Its going to be a long winter, at least it has a home in the shop out of the weather. I may just pull the seats and have them re-covered. it has a couple little dings but it is in pretty good shape. The PO is on this site somewhere, he has a SAS tacoma with a D44 front axle. Poor guy had to trade it in towards a Mini Van.

CobraNutt

From Miata to mini van? That's man-card revocation worthy! Lol!

I'd still like to see someone do a Monster Miata around here... :)

Sent from my mystical handheld gizmo.

jeep-N-montero

Formerly black_ZJ
Speaking of seats, I'm building a 1965 Sunbeam Alpine for a customer right now. He has talked about Miata being a good choice, but really he has no idea. What are your guys' thoughts on the Miata seats? Or maybe another seat that is easy to find. We are fine to redo them when the car goes to upholstery.

Miata seats are a pretty common swap in older small cars, Google images will pull up Triumphs, MG's, and I think there is even a Sunbeam Tiger running Miata seats. They are light and have great bolstering.

Last edited:

UNSTUCK

But stuck more often.
I may be interested in buying yours if you decide to replace them. I would recover them anyways to match the interior of the car I'm building. Let me know if you want to go that route.

thefirstzukman

Finding Utah
Supporting Member
^ that looks great Scott! Please tell me it's a 5 speed and not an auto.

Not a 5 speed, sorry... its a 6 speed :D it really is a pretty clean ride too. I am going to have to spend a lot of shop time to pay for it, but I couldn't turn it down. I grabbed this and a sidekick and a Subaru Forester this month. That is a lot of trade work.....

I always have had a soft spot for a Hard Top Miata, cant wait for summer.. I just hope it can winter in this shop and not the big one, this one doesn't have any work done in it, just kind of a toy storage but the other shop is 7000 sqft and gets pretty dusty.

Last edited:

rollover

Get ahold of Platt's Upholstery in Salt Lake on 2100 s and about 450 east. They can repair the seats with identical fabric or customize them to your taste.