Northern Utah Snakes Cleanup and Trail Ride *updated* June 22nd

TurboMinivan

Still plays with cars
If you've never been, it always helps to have a map/directions. here you go.

The only problem, Steve, is your posted map shows the wrong destination. The Snakes parking lot is the next turnoff to the northwest after the green B marker.

Here are my classic directions:

Take Lehi Main street (highway 73) and head west. Pass through Cedar Fort and Fairfield and continue going west. A few miles after Fairfield, the road will curve to the right--now you'll be heading northwest. (The Utah/Tooele county line is in the middle of this curve.) About 1.1 miles after this curve, you'll see a dirt parking lot on the right side of the road with a wood sign board. This is your turnoff. Here is what it will look like, compliments of Google Maps street view:

turnoff.jpg

Google Maps says this is Sunshine Canyon road. In reality, the turnoff which is marked 'Sunshine Canyon' is a few more miles to the northwest. Don't let that confuse you. Look for the dirt parking lot with the large wooden sign (and all the other rigs parked there) and you'll be golden.

clfrnacwby

Recovery Addict
Wow, if you zoom in on the map Steve provided, you can see the actual trail. It's labeled "Rattle Snake Canyon" - I've never seen that before.

N-Smooth

Smooth Gang Founding Member
This is coming up!
Is anyone coming that is familiar with Sidewinder? I'd like to check it out but I don't want to just wander aimlessly and go off the trail

sixstringsteve

Wow, if you zoom in on the map Steve provided, you can see the actual trail. It's labeled "Rattle Snake Canyon" - I've never seen that before.

That's cool, I've never seen that before either. Very cool. I wonder how that got there. I wonder how to add constrictor to it. I'm guessing Jinxspot might have had a hand in getting that added, he is all over those maps.

Kevin B.

Not often wrong. Never quite right.
Hey look, posts! Sorry guys, I thought I was subscribed.

Can a total newbie join in the fun? Do I have to have a rock crawler or would a tracker with a 2 inch lift be OK?

Sam I'll be in a stock JK so you wont be alone.

New drivers are encouraged! Rattlesnake can be driven in a stock 4x4 without much risk of damage, so your Tracker should be fine. Anybody newish that is nervous is welcome to ask for help, we'll try and pair you up with a more experienced wheeler to help spot you through the sticky spots.

My dad is probably going to come with me as well. Can someone give me a link or address to the parking lot we are meeting at. New to the state and I'm not sure where we are going.

Sunshine canyon comes up on googlemaps and even apple maps so you can just plug it in and see where the turnoff is. It's easy enough to find and since there will be a bunch of rigs there it will be even easier.

I need to make it to this

I'm going to try and be out there by 0800. I'll be coming through the Chevron at the corner of Redwood and Main about 0745, anybody who wants to follow me out is more than welcome to meet me there. It's not a hard place to find, a large parking lot on your left about a mile or so after the top of the pass and it'll likely be filling with trucks. As discussed, Google thinks it's called Sunshine Canyon road, but if you pass a sign for Sunshine Canyon Road you've gone one parking lot too far :).

Last edited:

Kevin B.

Not often wrong. Never quite right.
This is coming up!
Is anyone coming that is familiar with Sidewinder? I'd like to check it out but I don't want to just wander aimlessly and go off the trail

I think, and this is just me talking, that they're waiting until the trail is a little more established before they start showing it around. I'm with you, I'd love to know where it's at and maybe help with it's development a little bit.

N-Smooth

I know, I was just hoping one of the original people to run it would be there and we could further develop it and work out a strategy for marking and everything. I thought it'd be nice to tackle that when we have some help out there.

I have no intention of running it without someone who knows where it is.

sabatoa1

There is still a lot of stuff to be done before this trail can be opened to the public. It has to be designated with BLM showing the complete trail, traffic in and out, how it will effect the land, how each obsticle will be rated, and mapped so there is no confusion on what is the trail, and what is not.

Last edited:

N-Smooth

There is still a lot of stuff to be done before this trail can be opened to the public. It has to be designated with BLM showing the complete trail, traffic in and out, how it will effect the land, how each obsticle will be rated, and mapped so there is no confusion on what is the trail, and what is not.

I PM'd Ryan about it. He hasn't replied but if this is the official stance of your club, that's fine with me.

jinxspot

~ Bush Eater's Offroad ~
Our group is currently working on getting an official trail description for Sidewinder, we want it to include GPS cords and have all the obstacle's rated before we release any more info... (otherwise the details will get twisted or lost with interpretation). Our president ABhauler had a personal meeting with the BLM to discuss details on the area and this new trail last week.... in short, we want to incorporate their comments into maintaining the integrity for the future of this trial. Our plan is to roll out all the details after we present all the materials at our next meeting. I do want everyone to know that since this area is "Open-OHV" we are also discussing the idea of putting in a little bit easier trail to keep everyone's taste accounted for and at that point I would like to broaden the group to some RME members to help with that effort.

N-Smooth

I appreciate all that you guys are doing for this project and it's good to get an update. Thanks!

Coco

I might make it out, we will see.

I hope no one took offense to our HTT trip we had planned, that was the only weekend that would have worked for most of our group, which didnt end up making it anyway

TJDukit

I.Y.A.A.Y.A.S.
I'll be there bright and early. I'll be at the Chevron at 8:00 in case anyone needs a guide out there.

Last edited: