Political So now what

Political discussions within

Hickey

Burn-barrel enthusiast
Supporting Member
He endorsed Harris, so she'll most likely be the nominee.

This is nuts. No matter how you look at it, these past few weeks have been absolutely historic. Stuff people will be reading about and studying for generations to come.
Definitely historic. Harris has little chance against Trump. Trump will surely stoop to calling her some crazy names, and she’ll surely cackle and screech back.

Stephen

Who Dares Wins
Odds still against Trump winning?
I dunno. This is all nuts. The Democratic Party and its media allies have two choices here. Show unity and solidarity by rallying around Harris and doing everything they can to rehabilitate her image since she is currently the most unpopular VP in history. OR they can fight it out and tear themselves apart.

The DNC it's a deeply conflicted and fractious coalition of interests. If you think the GOP has division, oh boy delve into the various caucuses in the DNC and you'll realize that the GOP is pretty ideologically aligned by comparison. The difference is that they're way better at hiding it. So if they decide on a convention fight, it's gonna get ugly.

To answer your question, if they do it "right" and unify around Harris, she's got a 60% chance of beating Trump I think. While she's deeply unpopular, most voters still aren't super familiar with her; so there's a huge opportunity to "reintroduce" her. Also, she'll get to play the race and gender card.

If they fight it out and we end up with a Newsom, Whitmer, Pritzler, or X; it's back to 50/50 for President, but I think they'll suffer down ballot a lot from the image of a party in chaos.

Again, this is all because Trump is a terrible candidate in his own right. If the GOP has nominated literally anyone else, we'd be looking at a 1984 style landslide for them right now.

Hickey

Burn-barrel enthusiast
Supporting Member
I dunno. This is all nuts. The Democratic Party and its media allies have two choices here. Show unity and solidarity by rallying around Harris and doing everything they can to rehabilitate her image since she is currently the most unpopular VP in history. OR they can fight it out and tear themselves apart.

The DNC it's a deeply conflicted and fractious coalition of interests. If you think the GOP has division, oh boy delve into the various caucuses in the DNC and you'll realize that the GOP is pretty ideologically aligned by comparison. The difference is that they're way better at hiding it. So if they decide on a convention fight, it's gonna get ugly.

To answer your question, if they do it "right" and unify around Harris, she's got a 60% chance of beating Trump I think. While she's deeply unpopular, most voters still aren't super familiar with her; so there's a huge opportunity to "reintroduce" her. Also, she'll get to play the race and gender card.

If they fight it out and we end up with a Newsom, Whitmer, Pritzler, or X; it's back to 50/50 for President, but I think they'll suffer down ballot a lot from the image of a party in chaos.

Again, this is all because Trump is a terrible candidate in his own right. If the GOP has nominated literally anyone else, we'd be looking at a 1984 style landslide for them right now.
I couldn’t agree more.

Also, I’m on the beer and it’s hot as hades outside

Kevin B.

Not often wrong. Never quite right.
Odds still against Trump winning?
I don't think so. Between this fiasco and him surviving the assassination attempt, he's got momentum for days. I can't imagine what would happen to derail him now. But I guess I couldn't have imagined what's happened in the past couple weeks either, so... ?

I really think somebody could drop photo evidence of him screwing teenage girls on Epstein's island and he'd still win. I think Putin could come out tomorrow and baldly admit that Trump is in his pocket and doing his bidding and he'd still win. I think I could jump up on stage and pull his mask off and prove to the world that he's a lizard people, and he'd still win. That's how badly Biden and the Dems have cocked this up.

Stephen

Who Dares Wins
The other thing we have to consider is the Ohio ballot deadline of August 7th. The DNC is August 19th and they were going to do a virtual delegate roll call this week to make sure Biden was on the ballot. Now what?

Cody

Random Quote Generator
Supporting Member
I know her numbers are bad, but is it because she's done something bad or just because she's kind of taken a back seat and people haven't heard much from her. I know I haven't. The few people from California I know that are pretty conservative mind you, absolutely hate her but do the more liberal Californians hate her too.

To me, as nobody, they should really capitalize on her not being all that well known and try to position her a bit more moderately, but I suspect they'll do the opposite.

As was said, there is literally nothing Trump could do, short of publicly murdering children, to change how the Trumpies view him but I'd have to imagine Harris will make him look pretty silly in a debate. I mean, she has to have a pulse and that's about all it should take. Problem is, the Trumpies don't really bother themselves with things like logic or facts, so they won't care if she fights his grandstanding and hyperbole with actual information because they just like the sound of what he says.

Stephen

Who Dares Wins
I'd have to imagine Harris will make him look pretty silly in a debate.
I'm not in front of a keyboard, so I can reply to all the reasons she's disliked nearly universally, but I will say that if you watch any of her public... speaking? I don't think she can make anyone look sillier than herself. In fact, I suspect they'll avoid trying to do a debate just so she can't go off script and start rambling. She's perhaps more lucid than Biden, but she doesn't make any more sense!

Trate D

I really think the “Trumpies” are the same as the complete non-Trumpies. They will do anything but admit one good policy or 1 good foreign relation that Trump had.

For me it’s the all the same everyone just picks a different roof top and screams from it. The die hard Trump fans will show you on the doll where they want to touch him, The die hard non-Trump fans refuse to show you on the doll where Trump touched them….

johngottfredson

Threat Level Midnight
No chance they win with Harris, even if they unify. They only win if they do something that truly shakes things up and puts in someone as exciting (to dems and/or moderates) as Trump is to his people.

Bernie Sanders, Michelle Obama…. Mark Cuban….Dwayne Johnson…