Steve's '94 Toyota x-cab mild build

pELYgroso

'Merica
steve, do you want to borrow a torch?? it's a smaller portable one. It's at my buddy's up in Alpine. I'll see if he can bring it over. SO much faster!

chans

sure, come on over. I'll have you start the gear install so you can learn all about it. I can help if you have questions. Most of it is just removing bolts and tearing it apart.

Sorry, it looks like I will be stuck at work all day. I will try to swiing by next weekend if you don't finish.

sixstringsteve

Here are some pictures from before I did anything:

IMG_0393.JPG

IMG_0396.JPG

sixstringsteve

Here it is after the chevy swap:

IMG_0397.JPG

I think I'm going to move the shackle hangers back about 1/2" to get a closer to vertical shackle angle.

sixstringsteve

well, today was frustrating day. I've come to the realization that there's no way i'm going to be ready by hole in the rock :(

It took me 10 AM to 8 PM to get the ifs cut off. But it's cut off, that's a milestone.

8PM:
IMG_0399.JPG

10 PM
I still need to clean up the frame. I gave up for the night, I'm beat. I'll still chug away at it, but I'm guessing it'll take at least a month before its done.
IMG_0400.JPG

IMG_0401.JPG

Rick, thank you so much for letting me borrow your plasma cutter. I'm still trying to get the hang of it, but it REALLY came in handy, especially since my sawzall died.

Brandon, you're the best for going to the junkyard, finding the springs I need, cutting them off, and delivering them to me. Thank you thank you thank you.

Last edited:

lewis

Fight Till You Die
Ya, you want the shackles vertical when they are unloaded. Making them vertical when loaded will make it ride crappy and the shackle could invert when the spring drops and is loaded again.

Cascadia

Undecided
They are at an angle. Too much of an angle towards the rear. We didn't burn it in though, just tacked. So the hanger just needs to move back a little to give it a better angle. Once we let the weight of the truck down on it, I think 3 leaves was just a little soft so it sits too angled. Maybe with a 4th leaf in there it wouldn't push the shackle back so far but hopefully it wouldn't be too stiff.

Last edited:

sixstringsteve

It's at 45 degrees right now with The weight of The truck. Itll clear at full compression, it just seems a little too lax right now, and moving the shackle back would give me A little more lift.

Marsh99

Lover of all things Toyota
They are at an angle. Too much of an angle towards the rear. We didn't burn it in though, just tacked. So the hanger just needs to move back a little to give it a better angle. Once we let the weight of the truck down on it, I think 3 leaves was just a little soft so it sits too angled. Maybe with a 4th leaf in there it wouldn't push the shackle back so far but hopefully it wouldn't be too stiff.

I think you would be totally fine if you just move your rear shackle hanger back you are losing all the lift with your shackle angle. If I were you I would jack up the rear and with the springs with no weight on them make the shackles go straight up and down. On both of mine I have down that and it works great. then you end up with you shackles like this \ .

Also no problem with me bringing those springs down.

Last edited:

Cascadia

Undecided
I was thinking to try the 4th leaf in there and see what it did first. Its a whole lot easier to build a pack than cut the shackles off and grind again and then move it back. And if the 4th leaf doesn't feel so good then go back to 3 and move it back. But its not my truck and just a thought. Isn't it better to have your shackle like / than \ our were you referring to the drivers side? I was thinking passenger.