Steve's '94 Toyota x-cab mild build

sixstringsteve

it performed even better than expected. I am beyond pleased with the rig. my rear shocks were too long, so I took 'em off on golden spike. But since I didn't have any bumpstops, the tires tore up the fenders a little. I can straighten it out though. I assume my rear leafs were going negative, because by the end of the trail, the rear end sat a good 2" lower than when I started the trail.

I'd like another inch or two of uptravel in the front. I hit my bump stops more than I wanted.

Considering that I drove the truck 200 miles within 3 hours of finishing wrenching on it, it's a miracle I made it there and back with no major issues. I've got a little leak in the rear diff, and the idle has been really high the past 30 miles, but other than that it's perfect.

sixstringsteve

oh yeah, and I didn't have my lockers wired before the trip, so my front locker was locked on the entire trip, and my rear was open. But it did well.

nice pictures. seems like you guys had a great time. any videos taken?

I really like how your truck is turning out. an extra cab would be sweet! how was turning the truck with the front end locked? did you drag your rear bumper like your thought you would? your going to switch out the chevy's for alcans?

Max Power

Bryce
I am glad you guys had fun. Hells revenge is a classic. From what I saw you could probably cut off some of the polyurethane on your front bump stops and gain some up travel. Let me know when you are going to wire your lockers up.

Last edited:

Coco

hey steve, you actually did the first part of Lockjaw, not minor threat. Got talking with Mark, and that is what you guys were actually on :)

Was a fun trip! Too bad we didnt run any trails together!

sixstringsteve

how was turning the truck with the front end locked?

I'm not going to lie, it sucked. But Brandon (tacoman 99) had an ARB up front (or was it a detroit) and he didn't have any issues.

did you drag your rear bumper like your thought you would?

Yeah, I drug it a few times. It's now touching the sheet metal of the bed. But it did its job and kept my bed from getting damaged. I thought I'd have issues with the sides getting hit, but they weren't touched.

your going to switch out the chevy's for alcans?

Not sure what I'm going to do yet. I'll most likely just get another set of chevies and swap in some good springs that haven't gone negative. Then I'll set up my bump stops correctly and not have to worry about it.

We really missed you, too bad you couldn't make it. If I had known earlier that I was going to stay till monday I would have let you know sooner. But I wasn't planning on heading down 2 days late. I wasn't even sure if I was going to make it myself.

sixstringsteve

I'm not sure about this, buy my theory is that a ratcheting type locker (like a detroit, lockrite, aussie, etc) doesn't bind up like an elocker or arb or spool because it allows one of the wheels to turn faster than the other, even though it's just a little bit. that's my theory at least.

Marsh99

Lover of all things Toyota
I've decided that your truck is a complete sleeper. Looks pretty much stock but is completely bilt. I really like that look.

iamsparticus

Take your Rig to the Edge
i have the spartan locker up front and i barley noticed it turning, but yes the auto lockers do give just a little so it is easier than a selectable locked

I've decided that your truck is a complete sleeper. Looks pretty much stock but is completely bilt. I really like that look.

x2 this thing is turning out awesome.

i will make it next time. I really plan on an Oct trip if you guys are doing one around there. If not I'll just camp in Northern AZ for a few days.

Last edited:

sixstringsteve

where's your build thread quinn? October should be doable for Moab. I won't be able to swing a 5-day trip, but a 2 or 3 day trip should be feasible for me.