Steve's '94 Toyota x-cab mild build

chans

Does Rancho or Skyjacker make 63" Chevy springs with a 4" lift? Might be an easy way fix it but set you back a couple hundred.

sixstringsteve

I'm sure they do make chevy springs with a 4" lift, but they'd ride super harsh on a truck this small. I'll be running a 2x4 (metal) between the frame and the shackle perch. That should give me a really nice pinion angle too. If I get hung up too much on the leaf springs, then I'll find another solution, but for now I don't imagine it being a problem.

sixstringsteve

I'm more worried with the rocks grabbing the leaves or shackles after I drive over something, before it gets to the bumper. But I didn't have problems before, so I shouldn't now.

sixstringsteve

That's what I planned on. Plus it fixes my driveline angle. I'd hate to add a 2x8 piece under the frame, that'd just be rediculous. I finished welding it up tonight. I'll have to take some pictures and see if it sits level or not. I'm hoping it does. If not, I may go with longer shackles, or just wait for the front springs to settle.

sixstringsteve

The truck is sitting level now. Hopefully the front springs will sag another 1/2" to an inch, then it'll be just right.

Here's what I've got to get done before October:

- finish sleeping platform
- center the steering wheel
- flush and bleed the steering (I foolishly filled it with PS fluid instead of ATF)
- replace the rear screen windows on the camper shell
- install rear bump stops
- get new rear shocks that are the right length (I only have about 1/2" of droop right now)
- finish reinforcing the sliders
- wire the elockers
- build a rear bumper
- replace two studs in the rear diff

Still a lot to do, but I have 2 months to finish it.
-

zukijames

You could do that in a week
The truck is sitting level now. Hopefully the front springs will sag another 1/2" to an inch, then it'll be just right.

Here's what I've got to get done before October:

- finish sleeping platform
- center the steering wheel
- flush and bleed the steering (I foolishly filled it with PS fluid instead of ATF)
- replace the rear screen windows on the camper shell
- install rear bump stops
- get new rear shocks that are the right length (I only have about 1/2" of droop right now)
- finish reinforcing the sliders
- wire the elockers
- build a rear bumper
- replace two studs in the rear diff

Still a lot to do, but I have 2 months to finish it.
-

sixstringsteve

after this weekend, the rear springs sagged another two inches. So I'm about to give up on the chevy springs.

I'm trying to decide on which springs to go with:

1) alcans
2) TG 4" rears
3) 4" HD rears
4) AP baja springs

Last edited:

sixstringsteve

I know, I'd love a 4" OME lift. Low Range shows a HD rear spring from TG, but TG's website doesn't show it. I wish the front would settle a good inch or two, then I wouldn't be 909'ing it anymore. Maybe I should try a fresh set of 63" chevies one more time before I cut off the mounts and re-do the hangers.

sixstringsteve

I think 63's are longer than ideal. For the price of chevy springs, they're totally worth it. But if I were to shell out $5-600 on alcans, they'd be closer to 57-58" for less overhang.

I'm going to try to find another set of chevies and see if i can keep 'em from sagging too much.

if another set of 63's don't do it maybe try f150's long side forward and move or weld on a new shackle mount. it would be a lot less overhang. fwiw my pack is a 4leaf plus overload with the last leaf pulled out, you would probably leave the 4th leaf for the extra weight. just an idea but custom alcan's to your specs would be cool though.

sixstringsteve

the sleeping platform in the back is almost done. I'll be posting up pictures this afternoon.

I have 3/4" plywood in the back (the real cheap crap). I'm wanting to seal it in case it gets wet. I remember back in the day my dad had a gallon bucket full of latex. You could dip the handles of your tools in it to have the latex grip. I don't remember what it was called, but I think that'd be awesome to coat the wood in.

Anyone have any ideas for waterproof sealers for my plywood? Maybe that epoxy they pour over garage floors? I'd do herculiner if it didn't have the gritty sand in it, that'd beat me up when I climb into the back to sleep.

I could either leave it coated, or put carpet on top of the coating.

Last edited: