Steve's '94 Toyota x-cab mild build

Paul R

It would be a home made canback with extendable legs that raise up a foot or two. So I'd get in to camp, raise the legs up, and have my tent ready. It needs more polishing, but I think it could be done.

This sounds like a really cool idea!

Just an FYI, dust is incredibly difficult to keep out of a canback type shell. I think you will be unhappy sleeping inside it unless you spend a considerable amount of time and money to make it dust proof. IMO, if you are set on a pop-up deal, you might be much better off waiting to find a used wildernest or save up for a flip-pac.

I actually really liked my RTT (my wife liked it even more), but I haven't used it enough to really justify it. We have gone back to a backpacking ground tent.

sixstringsteve

Hm... that's really good input. I hadn't thought about dust, and I've never used a canback before.

What is it about a canback that makes dust difficult to keep out? Is it the zippers? or the way it attaches to the bed? Or just the seams from it being sewn together?

Paul R

Hm... that's really good input. I hadn't thought about dust, and I've never used a canback before.

What is it about a canback that makes dust difficult to keep out? Is it the zippers? or the way it attaches to the bed? Or just the seams from it being sewn together?

I had a few problems with mine, I had some gaps in the front that allowed dust to get in that could be designed out with some proper foresight. But the biggest offender to me is how to create the system where it attached to the bed.

Having the snaps made it incredibly easy and convenient but would be extremely difficult to keep dust out. Zippers are no bueno they get easily gummed up and break. I replaced all the zippers on my shell with velcro and it was a night and day difference. The velcro rocked, but has its limitations... Overall I think it could be done, but it would not be an easy home-brew deal.

If I would have kept the shell, I think I could have gotten it to the point I would have been happy with gear in the back not getting too bad, but I'm not sure what I could have done to get to the point where I could easily feel it was clean enough to sleep in regularly, but I'm sure it could be done.

sixstringsteve

I can't go any lower, it's already resting on the fenders. Plus I can barely fit a sleeping bag under it as is.

The shell/sleeping platform are great. I love being able to just climb back there and go to sleep. It's really nice. I just wish I had another foot of headroom.

mbryson

.......a few dollars more
Supporting Member
I can't go any lower, it's already resting on the fenders. Plus I can barely fit a sleeping bag under it as is.

The shell/sleeping platform are great. I love being able to just climb back there and go to sleep. It's really nice. I just wish I had another foot of headroom.

Here's my take on the whole sleeping/camping/etc. thing. I don't have near the trail camping days as some people on here, but I've had a few rigs. Honestly, the camper shell has fewer drawbacks than most things out there. I've yet to see ANY camping solution that works without compromise. It's all in what you are willing to live with.

FWIW, I'm seriously thinking about another camper shell vs. doing a RTT setup on my Dodge. Each has it's plus' and minus'. Dust/dirt is a huge factor in each (I'm not experienced with a RTT, but it's likely more dust free than a camper shell on a dirt trail/road). While you've hit on the worst parts of a camper shell (or tent, to be honest) the only other serious drawback to them is that they are not dust free. They're not heavily insulated (I don't sleep a lot outside in the winter and have a nice sleeping bag for other seasons) and lack most luxuries. I think you could utilize a version of Action Packer type modules to store stuff and be almost as versatile as a RTT setup?

I would assume the RTT setup would be relatively dust free? I really don't know? I'm not a fan of going to bed in the dirt, esp. the super fine dust that would be kicked up from dirt road travel.

I'd like something with as much room/accoutrements as my 29' travel trailer, the profile of a camper shell, the versatility of a RTT setup with gear underneath it in the truck and I want it all in a pickup bed package so I can still tow my trail rig behind me. Not sure that's available out there.

Your pickup/camper shell thing seems to be a very versatile rig and I think you'll be hard pressed to make a ton of conceptual improvements. Everything has it's drawbacks.

Something I have looked at that apply's to yours and Paul R's discussion above would be a Bestop Softop shell. I think they'd be reasonably dust free? My Jeep softop is surprisingly dust "manageable" for what it is, but it's not dust free at all. I'm curious if you could start with a Bestop shell and start sealing that up and have something (tailgate area would be the place I'd start to seal up and then keep going where I found issues?)?

(sorry, back to my deliberations about whether to buy a NICE optic (likely the best solution) or an ADEQUATE optic for my 30-06)

Last edited:

sixstringsteve

The main thing that's steering me away from a RTT right now is the fact that the rest of my gear isn't covered from the rain. I love that my shell keeps everything dry, even in the worst of storms.

Thanks for the tips mark, I think you're on to something there. I can sleep quite well in my truck as is. The main thing I'm missing is the ability to sit up and change if needed, but there are plenty of ways around that.

SAMI

Formerly Beardy McGee
^ Chat about homebrew options for a poptop with the new member that's built the Samurai with the camper back.

pELYgroso

'Merica
Steve, not too long ago, i saw a pop-up camper deal on ksl that was about the size of your shell when folded down, for $1k. I think that would be ideal for what your needs are. roof for your stuff, then pop it up really quick and go to sleep when needed.....they're out there, just keep looking. For awhile I was thinking about doing a little pop-up thing for the 4 runner shell but I found a solution that works better. I think it would be tough to make work well. My idea was to make some little stilts that I'd put between the bed rails and the shell to raise it up about 8" then have an upholstery shop make some snap (or velcro)-on wind covers for the gaps left and the back. That way, it was factory sealed when I was on the road but by removing 4 bolts (holding the shell on), lifting it up while slipping the stilts under it, and putting the velcro wind shields on, it was ready to sleep in in <10 minutes. I figured that if I wanted it water-proof as well I'd throw a tarp over it w/ some bungees.

sixstringsteve

I finally got the sleeping platform covered in carpet.

IMG_1632.JPG

IMG_1633.JPG

IMG_1634.JPG

IMG_1635.JPG

IMG_1636.JPG

IMG_1636.JPG

IMG_1637.JPG

Last edited:

sixstringsteve

I'm not sure what it's called. All I know is it's the cheapest stuff from home depot. I got the last bit of the roll, so it was 50% off. Can't beat that. Cost $20 for all the carpet.

It took me longer to install the carpet than it did to build the entire platform. Upholstery is not for me, I know that much :D