Steve's '94 Toyota x-cab mild build

sixstringsteve

I update my avatar everytime I go wheeling (only I don't have pics from Forest Lake last week.) I have no clue what my score was. It was more than a stock toyota and less than the linked buggies. It actually did better than I thought it would. I'll post up some pics later tonight.

sixstringsteve

A few picture updates. I installed a toyota add-a-leaf in the rear. Even though it's more narrow than the chevy springs, it gave me the lift I needed for a level stance. The ride is a little bit rougher, but the springs still flex really well.

IMG_1562.JPG

IMG_1568.JPG

IMG_1564.JPG

IMG_1566.JPG

IMG_1567.JPG

It looks like my bump stops are just a tad too low.

sixstringsteve

A few pics from this week's noob run:

IMG_1596.JPG

IMG_1598.JPG

IMG_1601.JPG

IMG_1609.JPG

IMG_1611.JPG

Then we went out and ran rattlesnake and I did this:

IMG_1625.JPG

IMG_1626.JPG

IMG_1629.JPG

Fortunately, the front driveshaft was just the right length, and I was able to run it in the rear to get home. Gotta love dual cases. :D In fact, if I were ever to bob this and shorten the wheelbase, I'd make it so the intermediate shaft was shortened so the front and rear drivelines were still the same length.

Last edited:

ricsrx

Steve did you put any angled shims on your front leaf pack to get your caster alingment back to stock? Johns caster is so far out that the front pinion is does not point towards the t case.

sixstringsteve

No shims. I have 4" blocks between my rear shackle hanger and the frame. That pointed the pinion up a bit more. The right way to do it would be to cut the spring perches off and weld them back on at the correct angle. But since my chevies weren't giving me nearly enough lift, I had to add the 4" lift block.

sixstringsteve

Man, I've been camping with Kurt too much lately. I'm starting to get bad ideas: bob the bed (front and rear), shorten the wheelbase about a foot, ditch the shell, and get a RTT.

I like sleeping in the back of the truck, but it's not tall enough to sit up in, so changing is an issue. I LOVE having all my camping gear dry, you can't beat that. And I love throwing my dog back there while we're traveling. Maybe I just need a better storage system with that sleeping platform.

sixstringsteve

My DL is at Galons right now getting a .150 wall installed (3 times thicker than stock). Hopefully that holds up. I actually tried the line to the right, but since I don't have my rear locker wired yet, it just slid me to the left and I didn't have much of a choice where I went.

sixstringsteve

I'm trying to find a way to camp a bit more comfortably. I like the sleeping platform a lot, but the shell isn't tall enough to sit up in. So changing clothes is a challenge.

I was thinking about a RTT, but I'm not sure that's going to be the right solution. I've been toying with the idea of something like a pop-up canback. It would be a home made canback with extendable legs that raise up a foot or two. So I'd get in to camp, raise the legs up, and have my tent ready. It needs more polishing, but I think it could be done.

ttora4runner

I'm trying to find a way to camp a bit more comfortably. I like the sleeping platform a lot, but the shell isn't tall enough to sit up in. So changing clothes is a challenge.

I was thinking about a RTT, but I'm not sure that's going to be the right solution. I've been toying with the idea of something like a pop-up canback. It would be a home made canback with extendable legs that raise up a foot or two. So I'd get in to camp, raise the legs up, and have my tent ready. It needs more polishing, but I think it could be done.

Why not get a flippac: http://flippac.com/

sixstringsteve

cuz they're $3500-5200! :eek::eek::eek:

but a flippac would be cool. I don't think I have the skills to build a flip pac. I could handle a can-back though.

Last edited: