stuck in the Nutty Putty

Rusted

Let's Ride!
Supporting Member
http://www.ksl.com/?nid=148&sid=8800398

"It has turned into a very tedious and precarious rescue for the man. We are told crews are making some progress, but he is still in a very tight spot. He is about 125 feet or so below the surface and somewhere in the neighborhood of 600-700 feet into the cave."

phatfoto

Giver of bad advice
I'm not claustrophobic, but I also know where I shouldn't try and squeeze into. Hope the guy makes it out alive.

EROK81?

Sell out
I am surprised someone could get trapped right there. I was talking to Brett earlier about this and he mentioned that he had made it through that section. So I'd imagine you'd have to be very large to get stuck. :eek:

Caleb

I am surprised someone could get trapped right there. I was talking to Brett earlier about this and he mentioned that he had made it through that section. So I'd imagine you'd have to be very large to get stuck. :eek:
Have you been through it? They don't call it the birth canal because it's roomy ;) Maybe Brett made it through when he was in Junior High :p

EROK81?

Sell out
Have you guys ever read "Ted the Caver?"

That story convinced me never to enter a cave. I also had leave all of the lights on at night for about week after I read it too. :rofl:

DOSS

Poker of the Hornets Nest
Sucks that he got stuck in there.. but there is a reason why you should be smart enough to say.. Ummm I won't fit, I will hang back.. I have said that I can't fit in certain cave passages before and have known others to say the same thing. Caves are some of the coolest places to go explore but like anything else you have to know when to call it quits or pay the price without complaint :)

PBandCJ

like the "sam-itch"
the last time i was out there (about 3 yrs or so) the enterance was blocked off
with angle iron so you couldn't get through.
did they open it back up or did they have to remove it to get in to get him out?

jdub

Scrambler
When I was 14 and skinny as a rail my hips got wedged for a second and for a second flipped out. In the birth canal you have to make a right degree turn and almost cant put your arms under you to army crawl. It sounds like he was on his way back and has his head downward. What a way to spend your night.

Caleb

the last time i was out there (about 3 yrs or so) the enterance was blocked off
with angle iron so you couldn't get through.
did they open it back up or did they have to remove it to get in to get him out?
I'm pretty sure that the cave was reopened but you are required to get a permit now to go in. It's no longer unrestricted access like it once was. I haven't been out there in years so I can't say for sure though.

Greg

Make RME Rockcrawling Again!
Admin
I hated the birth canal... did it 2x and that was 2x too many. I was skinny back then, but had fairly wide shoulders. I had to put one arm forward and one at my side, tilt my shoulders and squeeze thru. There were more than a few points where I was right at the edge of maintaining my sanity.

Hope that guy gets out safely, sounds like it should be any time now.

Brad J

how is it patroled to enforce the permit thingy

Last time I was there was 12 years ago:-\
I heard a couple years ago there was a combination lock that changed monthly. They were more than happy to give the combo out to small groups that knew what they were doing. I think it is a key to get in now though. I loved going there when I was younger/smaller:)

EB101

The sad thing is that this much publicity is what got it closed last time. We took scouts there a some years ago and it was great fun! One of those things though where I wouldn't do it again with scouts. Something like this and it's likely to be closed permanently now.