stuck in the Nutty Putty

Rusted

Let's Ride!
Supporting Member
I found out that my cousin has been down in the cave for the rescue. I will try to see if he can tell me any of the details on what happened and what they had to do to recover him.

Greg

Make RME Rockcrawling Again!
Admin
Wow, that's horrible news. I thought they'd get him free with just a little more work. I'm curious to hear the autopsy results, they were able to get him food and water and from the news report, it sounds like he was coping well enough. I'm surprised he passed away.

cruiseroutfit

Cruizah!
Vendor
:( Really sad to hear he didn't make it Having spent hundreds of hours underground, often in sketchy places (mines) its a humbling reminder that the most innocent adventures can end up deadly.

redXJ

Thats what she said
I hated the birth canal... did it 2x and that was 2x too many. I was skinny back then, but had fairly wide shoulders. I had to put one arm forward and one at my side, tilt my shoulders and squeeze thru.

Thats how i got threw.

may he RIP

I Lean

Mbryson's hairdresser
Vendor
Wow, that's horrible news. I thought they'd get him free with just a little more work. I'm curious to hear the autopsy results, they were able to get him food and water and from the news report, it sounds like he was coping well enough. I'm surprised he passed away.

My brother-in-law was in on the recovery effort (he's a fireman), and he told me today that the news reports of him getting food and water were fantasy. They couldn't see his face, so there's no way of getting him those things.

Also, there was a report that said they started an IV for him--also not true. Being head-down, the problem becomes fluids pooling in your head and causing aneurysms or whatever, and increasing the volume of body fluids would only hasten the inevitable problems. :( BTW, although they won't know for sure until an autopsy, they figure that's what killed him.

Clutch

I got stuck near that same area a few years ago but I was folded in two trying to get my legs in front of me. I was only stuck for about 15 minutes and I thought it was bad!

I'm very sad for this guy and his family.

SAMI

Formerly Beardy McGee
Wow, that's unfortunate. This story made national news, as the first I'd heard of it was on a Tampa news station.. I feel for the victims family.

I grew up with '99's Nutty Putty stuck victim Chris Morrow.. I remember how intense it was to watch his family and be so close to those affected..

http://www.ksl.com/?nid=148&sid=8809415

theferg

DD for Life
My brother-in-law was in on the recovery effort (he's a fireman), and he told me today that the news reports of him getting food and water were fantasy. They couldn't see his face, so there's no way of getting him those things.

Also, there was a report that said they started an IV for him--also not true. Being head-down, the problem becomes fluids pooling in your head and causing aneurysms or whatever, and increasing the volume of body fluids would only hasten the inevitable problems. :( BTW, although they won't know for sure until an autopsy, they figure that's what killed him.

Finally some info that is making sense. I've been wondering how in the hell they were able to get him food and water when they were also reporting they could only reach his legs. And it also wasn't making sense to me that they had him out enough to get him the food and water, but then he fell back in when a rope failed. Just wasn't all adding up when you think about (or know) how tight that part must be--though I admittedly have never been in any section of the nutty putty. I got scared away just hearing about it way back in high school in the earlier 90s. I freeze up just thinking about being stuck.

My thoughts and prayers are with his family and having to endure something like this. And may he also rest in peace.

-Ferg-