tera locker a joke??? read me

Caleb

Mike_Lib said:
More selectable locker options is a good thing in the long run regardless of who is marketing it. More competition should lead to lower prices and/or higher quality.

I know everyone is entitled to their own opinion, but it would be helpful if people could try and support their opinions with data rather than blurbing out trash talk with no data to back it up :confused:

I'm indifferent to where a product is manufactured and designed.....and I'm also indifferent to who markets it assuming the service is acceptable. I'm more interested in how it performs and how reliable it is (and obviously how much it will cost).

I would find it VERY frustrating if I was trying to launch a new product and I had a bunch of people taking cheap shots at me that were clueless about my product :(

I agree with you 100%...not only are they another option but they are going to be offering it for the FF14...the only other option besides welding a FF14 right now is a detroit...some will like the selectable option. Who markets the product make a big difference in how well it will sell...right now simply because Tera is marketing it they have already lost a whole list of potential customers, this is obvious by this post. I am excited to see how it does in the long run and I think the 3 year warantee totally kicks ass...:D

Caleb

Hickey said:
That is why you do research before going with a company that may hurt you.
He would have been much better off going with Rubicon Express.

IMO, he would have been better off simply marketing it through his own company. His company is well known for having great products. If he didn't want to for whatever reasons there are a ton of other companies including RE that would have been better than tera IMO;)

Hickey

Burn-barrel enthusiast
Supporting Member
supergper said:
IMO, he would have been better off simply marketing it through his own company. His company is well known for having great products. If he didn't want to for whatever reasons there are a ton of other companies including RE that would have been better than tera IMO;)
I agree. We are still waiting for the 14 bolt. It was promised in august, and no word yet.

cruiseroutfit

Cruizah!
Vendor
Hickey said:
That is why you do research before going with a company that may hurt you.
He would have been much better off going with Rubicon Express.

Research is the key...Alot of potentially great designs/products have fallen victim to bad reputations over the years. I can think of a few within' the 4x4 realm. A couple of bad experiences and even the best products don't seem all that favorable.

danielt

Hickey said:
Oh, Welcome to the forum. GTI driver has as much right as anyone else here to bash that locker, because it is his opinion. The only way you will change his mind is through years of good feedback from the T-locker. I have the same opinion as GTI too. :) once again, welcome to the forum :)

You are right, GTI driver has the right to bash everything he wants . Everybody has its own opinion .I got a little hurt me when I was reading the stuff about the locker GTI driver and some other guys wrote (thats life). I hope you and GTI driver will change thier mind about this locker after years of good feedback.
I found this forum today , and I am happy that there is a board for Extreme wheeling in UT . I live in Ogden UT.

Hickey

Burn-barrel enthusiast
Supporting Member
danielt said:
You are right, GTI driver has the right to bash everything he wants . Everybody has its own opinion .I got a little hurt me when I was reading the stuff about the locker GTI driver and some other guys wrote (thats life). I hope you and GTI driver will change thier mind about this locker after years of good feedback.
I found this forum today , and I am happy that there is a board for Extreme wheeling in UT . I live in Ogden UT.
We just might change our minds, but as you know, off road folks are tight as a frog behind. But I will definitely check out your 14 bolt when it comes out. :)

danielt

supergper said:
its good to hear some info from the source...my question to you is why Tera...they (as you can prolly tell from this thread) are getting a bad rep for outsourcing their products to countries that have much lower standards...even though this locker is high quality and well thought out its gonna get stuck with the reputation that Tera is building for themselves???

Why Tera ?!
Because Tera was the only company that was treating me with respect !
Everybody was trying to rip me off etc.etc.not Tera ! It is a pleasure to work with Tera, they are honest to me and evrything buisness related is perfect .
It is bad to hear that they got a bad rep for outsourcing their parts to countries with lower standarts.

danielt

Hickey said:
We just might change our minds, but as you know, off road folks are tight as a frog behind. But I will definitely check out your 14 bolt when it comes out. :)

Mikelib
Thanks for your support

supergper
hickey

The 14 bolt locker is getting tested right now in Europe. It took longer than we thought to get it ready, but you will see it on the market beginning of next year !

I got a question for everybody !
What would you folks think would be the most popular axle aplication for a locker ??

Hickey

Burn-barrel enthusiast
Supporting Member
danielt said:
What would you folks think would be the most popular axle aplication for a locker ??
A 14 bolt for the more hardcore wheelers.
a d30 for the masses.

Shawn

Just Hanging Out
Personally, a company needs to hear these kinds of negitive feed backs. I doubt there is a company out there that hasn't made people mad or dissapointed in their product. If it wasn't for boards like this, companys may not know how specific users of thier product felt.

When I buy a product, I would rather buy american made. I will also never buy anything else besides a manual locker (I don't drive on the streets) again.

I'm glad that Terra treats you well, it hasn't treated all it's employees as nice as you say they treat you.

danielt

Shawn said:
Personally, a company needs to hear these kinds of negitive feed backs. I doubt there is a company out there that hasn't made people mad or dissapointed in their product. If it wasn't for boards like this, companys may not know how specific users of thier product felt.

When I buy a product, I would rather buy american made. I will also never buy anything else besides a manual locker (I don't drive on the streets) again.

I'm glad that Terra treats you well, it hasn't treated all it's employees as nice as you say they treat you.

I agree that a company also needs negative feed back. It is also impossible to make everybody happy .
I understand if you would rather buy american made products, it helps the US economy. But what is US made ? Spicer parts? Not realy, most spicer parts are cast - forged in China ! Today it is realy hard to get parts that are made in the US . Even if the product says made in USA, most times they are from China . It is the same in Europe .
It is sad to hear that they hasen`t treated all their employees good.

Mike_Lib

Mall Crawlin'
Shawn said:

I agree 100% that negative feedback is also good feedback. However, if you're going to bash then at least justify your bashing with first hand info or data / real world experiences. :)

Caleb

danielt said:
Mikelib
Thanks for your support

supergper
hickey

The 14 bolt locker is getting tested right now in Europe. It took longer than we thought to get it ready, but you will see it on the market beginning of next year !

good to hear about the availability of the 14 bolt...

IMO, the most popular axle app would be prolly a 35 spline 60...its used in both front and rear apps in a majority of wheelers...the FF14 is a close second simply cause its a VERY strong axle and is way cheap and stock parts are easy to find and again are cheap, and (for now) the available lockers ,detroit, are quite cheap too...give the detroit a run for its money:D

cant wait for the 14 to come out, I will really be following it and chcking out all reviews on it;)...

BTW, welcome to the board...a board that has been made by Utah wheelers for Utah wheelers:p

Mike_Lib

Mall Crawlin'
danielt said:

I suspect Brett and Tera can give you some good sample data by looking at their historical sales of lockers. That's where I would start. I would also look at R&P sales as that will also help determine what diffs are being used/built/upgraded.

I wonder if the 14 bolt locker will be a success? Most people I know build a 14 bolt because they can pick one up for $100 and it already has strong shafts and sometimes it even has the correct R&P ratio. Add some cheap disks and weld the spiders and you're set. I'm not sure how many 14 bolt users would opt in for an expensive air locker given that the axle users are usually building on a budget and the locker would cost 5-7x the cost of the axle itself.

Dana 44's and Dana 60's would be an obvious choice since they are commonly used in both FRONT and REAR applications. It might help if you could differentiate yourself from the others by offering some variations in spline count. For example, offer 60's in 35 and 40 spline and offer 44's in 30 & 33 and/or 35 spline (if possible). I would hope that you offer a product for the T60R and maybe even the prorock 60 as those are becoming pretty commonly used axles and people who buy these axles are probably able to afford a high $ selectable locker.

Dana 30's are always going to be widely used. However, I'd argue that dana 30 locker users are not going to be your typical 'do it yourselfer' and are more likely going to be influenced by their local 4x4 shop for purchase decisions. If the shop says 'buy ARB' then I'm sure they'll buy it. If the shop says 'buy Tera' then they may very well buy Tera. Hopefully you have some incentives in place with shops and dealers that help promote your product over ARB and other competitors.

One locker choice I would consider is the D44A. These axles are found under most late model grand cherokees. Assuming the AL housing can hold up to a locker, I think you'd be surprised by the sales numbers. To date there is NO true locker for the D44A. The market is ripe ;) Grand cherokee owners who modify their vehicles tend to spend a relatively high amount of $'s vs. other jeep owners. I constantly hear the gripe about not having a locker available.

FWIW - I'd have to agree that I'm not a big fan of the stuff hanging off the front of the diff. Also, I'm sure people will be interested in how the installation is relative to an ARB. What air pressure do they run on? Are they compatible with an ARB compressor?

Mike

gtidrivr

Hey wooow horsey (daniel who?) I wasnt saying that their product was a joke. Had you been around before this thread you would have read this,what you missed since your new this is what I was asking, by placing 3 questionmarks of the end of the thread caption.
Hope that you saw them when you first read this. I was basically letting everyone know that it wasn't a joke, it was real! I wasn't bashing their product, I was and will still talk POO on POO and the others who make decisions with POO. I am glad to hear that they treat you well, I really am, but there are many others that have been treated well in the past that will not deal woth POO any longer! You should ride out what you have with them, but dont please dont think this is your ride into the nice life. The less people that get burned by POO the better. I also dont have a problem buying stuff from overseas. What I do have a problem with is when tera make someone believe that they will produce a product for them, and then you see masses of it show up in crates with chicken scrath on the sides. Then when confronted about it they just dont know what could have happened... "those were previously used by our supplier and they shipped them to us that way" :rolleyes: come awn would you believe that?? If for some reason you think that the people on R.M.E. just dont like POO go to other forums and see what they have to say.

To make it straight if they did pull around and make a great product I would reccomend it! I myself question why I haven't purchased a tera 60 yet... and I probably will someday!!! Maybe Brett will have a job longer if I do :rofl:

Last edited: