tera locker a joke??? read me

gtidrivr

I also wasnt implying that everyone on here doesnt like POO, I was just saying that there are some on here that dont.

If you dont mind... how are you in business with tera? just curious

Last edited:

mbryson

.......a few dollars more
Supporting Member
Welcome to the board Daniel!

I, for one, will embrace another FF14bolt locker. I'm not real tickled about the pricing on an introductory product, esp. one marketed by Tera as they have some issues and I don't need to pay to help them 'prove' their line. I feel like I should get a break by buying Tera stuff, due to their reputation. {that said, I do think their quick disconnects for the D30 are some of the best in the industry---kind of spendy, but worth it on my rig---real 'hard-core' type of product there though---I always see competitors at UROC disconnecting their swaybars before a comp :rolleyes: . The Tera housings have had some reported issues, but they seem to be in the past and have a decent reputation the past few years or so. I'd consider one, but I'm kind of a cheap bastid and will search for what I need in the junk.}

I'll probably buy a Detroit and/or take a 'wait and see' attitude on your selectable simply due to the price. Honestly, it looks like a cool, solid design, and I'm sure it will be in some competitions and we'll see how the thing will hold up to some serious abuse. Attaching your product to the Tera name may turn out great for both companies, but you're not going to get a glowing recommendation on Tera products across the board from many people. I'll keep my opinion open on this product and hope Tera is looking to enhance their reputation with this line.

I'd love a selectable locker in the tow rig (FF14 bolt). I've had interesting problems with a 'tight' limited slip in snowy conditions and had to engage the front axle to even be able to move my truck around the roads. I'm sure it would only be worse with a Detroit and would love to be able to turn the locker on and off with reliability.

I think Mike makes an excellent point on the lower end lockers (D30, etc.) and whether you get a shop's blessing on installation. A lot of us here will install our own gears/lockers and will create our own opinions. We will also tend not to drop big bucks on installation when it's something we are confident in doing ourselves but may heed a recommendation from a shop we trust.

An ARB is kind of a tricky install and you will get opinions across the board on the reliability of their product. I have had great experience with their products until I bent my housing. I've had 'issues' with that locker since then. Hopefully being cured now.........time will tell (new housing, complete teardown and inspection of said locker---Props to CruiserOutfitters (Kurt) for getting me information and some spare parts on the quick on a product that they don't normally service). This locker will be an easier install than the ARB with the actuation on the cover, but there are also issues with the cover actuation that seem to have been addressed in previous posts.

I've only had one problem with my air compressor (I blew a fuse and I forgot where I put it on the installation) but had a great time wheeling 'open' again for the day that it took me to remember where I had put the fuse. I've not had any problems with ARB blue lines, solenoids or switches which seem to be pressure points for anyone interested in that line {my compressor, switches and solenoids are in the passenger compartment and I'd assume that that would add to my success}.

Best of luck with Teraflex, Daniel. I honestly hope things work out for you and will watch with great interest what happens to your selectable locker. Some of the members of the board would make great testers of the product if you are still needing those, both in competition and in 'real world' types of environments.

gtidrivr

Hey Daniel, i would be happy to break one of those 14bb lockers!! :D
Or atleast give it the best shot I can. Then maybe I wont trash talk the lockers.

cruiseroutfit

Cruizah!
Vendor
Brett said:
I doubt it....I'm looking right now for something else.

Por que?

I thought you really enjoyed working there...

You are the only employee I care to do business with there... don't bail out on me...

Can't they keep at least one decent employee? Or does another family member need a job? WTF?

Craig S

Commando
Eaton has their new locker out for the aftermarket. It has been tested for 3 years in GM vehicles and will now be available for the aftermarket. It is a selectable locker with spider gears similar to an ARB except that it is electric. Two wires go into the top of the housing similar to an ARB. I will be using them for all of my future locker installs including my competition TJ D60s. The Eaton locker is the best new product at the SEMA show that I saw.

Craig

Brett

Meat-Hippy
cruiseroutfit said:
Por que?

I thought you really enjoyed working there...

You are the only employee I care to do business with there... don't bail out on me...

Can't they keep at least one decent employee? Or does another family member need a job? WTF?

sadwavey.gif

mbryson

.......a few dollars more
Supporting Member
Craig S said:
Eaton has their new locker out for the aftermarket. It has been tested for 3 years in GM vehicles and will now be available for the aftermarket. It is a selectable locker with spider gears similar to an ARB except that it is electric. Two wires go into the top of the housing similar to an ARB. I will be using them for all of my future locker installs including my competition TJ D60s. The Eaton locker is the best new product at the SEMA show that I saw.

Craig

SWEET....Finally!!! So they have it available for sale now? I like the electrical idea and it sounds like the placement of the wires would be in a good place.

Their website ......leaves a little to be desired..... http://www.torquecontrol.eaton.com/prod1.htm .....

gtidrivr

Hey Kurt, you know damn well that if another family member needed a job they would just fire brett- no offense Brett- but thats what they have always done, so why would they stop now??

Brett

Meat-Hippy
gtidrivr said:
Hey Kurt, you know damn well that if another family member needed a job they would just fire brett- no offense Brett- but thats what they have always done, so why would they stop now??

Yeah, i know how it goes......

Vonski

nothing to see here...
Hickey said:
A 14 bolt for the more hardcore wheelers.
a d30 for the masses.

I have no problem with the 14 bolt and they're damn tuff, but like it or not, they're known as the "poor man's D60". I'm not saying don't make it for the 14 bolt, as you have a great market. However, once your product is praised by D60 owners, you'll get the respect I believe you would like and need. My .02

Hickey

Burn-barrel enthusiast
Supporting Member
Vonski X said:
I have no problem with the 14 bolt and they're damn tuff, but like it or not, they're known as the "poor man's D60". I'm not saying don't make it for the 14 bolt, as you have a great market. However, once your product is praised by D60 owners, you'll get the respect I believe you would like and need. My .02
It is the poor mans axle, but as the user/builder progresses, he will keep and modify that 14 bolt rather than spend money on a 60.

Vonski

nothing to see here...
Hickey said:
It is the poor mans axle, but as the user/builder progresses, he will keep and modify that 14 bolt rather than spend money on a 60.

LOL, I knew someone would come to defend their 14 bolt. This isn't about anyone's reasoning behind why they built a 14 bolt rather than a D60. Ya gotta admit that people have this fascination with cool axles, and want 'em! All of the major off-road axle builders base their center sections and axle assemblies off of the D60. Therefore, if the guys running these axles swear by the T-locker, then I believe that will do wonders for the product.

Shawn

Just Hanging Out
Vonski X said:
they're known as the "poor man's D60".

Wrong!!

Cheep yes, however find a 60 that is as strong and common as the 14 bolt and I''l shut up.
In the world of tuff axles, the 14 bolt rules over the common 60.

Hickey

Burn-barrel enthusiast
Supporting Member
Shawn said:
Wrong!!

Cheep yes, however find a 60 that is as strong and common as the 14 bolt and I''l shut up.
In the world of tuff axles, the 14 bolt rules over the common 60.
Oh but what about that dreaded lip?!?!?!?! :eek: It will catch on anything you try to drive over. I love my 14 bolt. Yes it was cheap, yes I am a tightwad, but I would not hesitate to spend some good coin for a good reliable selectable locker if there was one.

Shawn

Just Hanging Out
Hickey said:
Oh but what about that dreaded lip?!?!?!?! :eek: It will catch on anything you try to drive over.

Well seeings how our R&P is larger and our shafts are larger just slam on the gas and bust the rocks with that so called lip..... wait... you and I have ground ours off..... :eek:

P

peel

Shawn said:
Well seeings how our R&P is larger and our shafts are larger just slam on the gas and bust the rocks with that so called lip..... wait... you and I have ground ours off..... :eek:

Hell it is a POS, so there anything from tera is a POS!!!!!!!!!