The Budget Buggy - Take Two

skippy

Pretend Fabricator
i am probably wrong but .. since hes linked the notched part of the frame is probably plenty strong how it is

This doesnt happen often but I agree with james, with him being linked there isnt alot of stress transferred to the frame and since the shock hoop "bridges" the weak point in the frame I think it will be fine to run as is. although adding a quick little reinforcement isnt a bad idea either

hardline90

Real rigs are built!
This doesnt happen often but I agree with james, with him being linked there isnt alot of stress transferred to the frame and since the shock hoop "bridges" the weak point in the frame I think it will be fine to run as is. although adding a quick little reinforcement isnt a bad idea either

I would agree with both of you except there is a track bar attached to the other side and they put a ton of pressure on the front clip. So, my thoughts would be, when he gets around to putting on the front hoop, run some tube down to the front of the frame and tie all the tube together. That should strengthen that front up nicely.....

Coco

Yeah I plan on tying the front stinger into the shock hoops, to help strengthen everything up. I plan on adding another reinforcement plate on the other side as well, just to be safe.

The goal for today is to finish up the rear, and hopefully have it in roller form by the end of the day. Buuuut we will see how much I can get done, especially with work today.

I have had a thought of doing airshocks on all 4 corners, as this will just be a rock car, and not a racer. I technically will still need to buy coilovers, as these that I have are all bad and not rebuildable, as well as buying the correct coils. Just a thought, not for sure, but a thought. Since I am mocking it up with coilovers, it can and will at least be able to go coilovers in the future. We will see what happens there.

Last edited:

zukijames

Yeah I plan on tying the front stinger into the shock hoops, to help strengthen everything up. I plan on adding another reinforcement plate on the other side as well, just to be safe.

The goal for today is to finish up the rear, and hopefully have it in roller form by the end of the day. Buuuut we will see how much I can get done, especially with work today.

I have had a thought of doing airshocks on all 4 corners, as this will just be a rock car, and not a racer. I technically will still need to buy coilovers, as these that I have are all bad and not rebuildable, as well as buying the correct coils. Just a thought, not for sure, but a thought. Since I am mocking it up with coilovers, it can and will at least be able to go coilovers in the future. We will see what happens there.

are you gona run a sway bar?

if air shocks 2.0 or 2.5?

Coco

Switched up the rear a little bit over the weekend. I needed to do something to clear the coils on the coilovers (whether that is going to be now or in the future) so I just re-bent the lower tube to clear, and siwtched the rear tube. I think it even looks a little better.

This chassis has been rallied on! The rear isnt too square, because of previous rollovers I think, (which my OCD is having a hard time with) but then again, buggies will be worked over, so it will happen every now and then :)

Greg

Make RME Rockcrawling Again!
Admin
This chassis has been rallied on! The rear isnt too square, because of previous rollovers I think, (which my OCD is having a hard time with) but then again, buggies will be worked over, so it will happen every now and then :)

I don't doubt that it was beat on pretty hard by the PO, considering he chopped off the front of the frame and all the tubework after his 'accident'. :eek: I'm also sure that since it didn't have much of a front or center crossmember, that the frame rails may have shifted a bit during the times it was moved, etc.

I'm really excited to see how well this is coming together Colton, you're doing a great job with the fab work and getting it done right. It's going to be a great buggy once you get it on the trail! :cool:

Coco

Started gusseting up the rear last night. Finished welding up the rear, and started adding braces for the shock mounts, and I made up a gusset for the corner of the miter. Tonight I plan to finish the bracing, and starting cleaning up the welds on the mitered joints. If I still have time after that, I'll start prepping my rear axle shafts.

Coco

Made some good progress on the buggy this weekend. At least it seemed like good progress :D Pulled the buggy in on Friday night, and got the rear shock supports done, and cleaned up the mitered joints. (I am pretty proud of how clean they look :D) Then on Saturday I moved the radiator, and cut out most of the front crossmember, and built a winch mount in there. It is tight, but the winch and radiator should clear great. Now I got to build the front stinger, and tie it in, and the tube work should be pretty much done. Then I will move onto the rear.

Before anyone says anything, no, the mount isnt crooked, these radiators have a tendency to be slightly tweaked.

Last edited:

UFAB

How much does the rear upper links rotate. Sometimes the cage on joints twists into tabs making less flex, its really hard to see and pin point after the fact. Many aftermarket suspensions bind their fancy joints in the narrow brackets.

Rig looks good. Keep it coming.

Sent from my SPH-L720 using Tapatalk 2

Herzog

somewhat damaged
Admin
I like how the details are coming out. It's totally worth it to spend the extra time on those things. Looking good!

Coco

Got a bit more work done on the buggy this weekend. It was supposed to be in roller, but we had a hiccup with the rear locker, so I couldnt get the diff done. Hopefully this week.

Delta is coming up FAST!!! :eek:

With the thought of having it in roller, I painted up the rear housing, with the plan of having it completely done.

Then I get a front stinger built, I also dismantled my knuckles, got them cleaned/blasted/painted, and getting ready to throw them on so they are at least there for roller form.

Coco

ITS A ROLLER!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :D :D :D :D

Man I have been waiting for this moment for a long time! I gotta thank Krany (Chris Kringle) and littlesolidkick (Tyler) for the help last night. The rear axle is completely done and finished, housing a Yukon ZIP Locker with 4:88 gears, TG chromoly shafts, etc. Front axle just has the knuckle on, it still needs all the internals, but it is at least in roller form. Tomorrow I plan to get the front steering ram and everything together for that, then I will continue work on the dash, and interior. This is a major step, and I LOVE the stance it has (not ride height, but close) its going to be a mean machine when it is done!

And Kringle told me to put the panels on for the "full affect" he then took a picture... Shoulda bought an iPhone! :D