The Budget Buggy - Take Two

Coco

Thanks guys! Yeah I really want to just be out using it! But one step at a time. I got some more work done on the buggy over the weekend. Got the radiator mounted, started working on hood latches, and a couple other small things. I didnt think mounting a radiator would take me so long, but the upper mounts turned out to be a bigger pain than I thought! Pictures coming soon.

Greg

I run a tight ship... wreck
Admin
Thanks guys! Yeah I really want to just be out using it! But one step at a time. I got some more work done on the buggy over the weekend. Got the radiator mounted, started working on hood latches, and a couple other small things. I didnt think mounting a radiator would take me so long, but the upper mounts turned out to be a bigger pain than I thought! Pictures coming soon.

Do it right the first time, so you don't have to work on it/fix it later on down the road. It's looking great Colton, stay motivated!

Coco

Fancy Small Block Chevy motor mounts??

They would make some weak mounts, but I think beefed up they would be pretty sweet!

Clutch and brake peddle?

No, but those would also be a really cool idea!

Hood hinge mounts.

Nice updates!

Ding ding ding! Got to give this rig some flare when and where I can. It is named Crankcase after all :D

More updates hopefully to come tomorrow

Coco

Got a bit more work done on the 4th before I headed up to the mountains for some camping. Got to work, and was delayed an hour of work because someone seemed to think they needed to unplug the garage door clear up on top... Wasnt too happy about that.

Anyway, I got the hood fully mounted, and built part of the rear floor that will house the propane tank. Wanted to keep working, but needed to head up for some much needed R&R :D

Last edited:

Coco

Thursday I pushed it into the shop, and got the propane tank mounted. It was in preparation for starting to work on getting it running the following Saturday.

Got some work done on the buggy saturday. Was really hoping to start working on getting the motor running, but we tore into it as we were going to replace the head gasket, and found rust rings in the cylinder walls. It wasnt a ton, but it was enough to cause pitting. So we pulled the motor, and tore it apart on saturday. Everything will be going to Cleggs today to get worked on. Little bit of a set back, but i'll have a fresh motor that will handle the boost when done.

Coco

Turns out the 22R block has a crack in it. Found a 22RE yesterday, and will be running that to them soon. The ONLY issue I am thinking I will have, is my hoop brace I built sat pretty close to the 22R valve cover. The 22R cover slants back, where the 22RE is straight, although fairly shallow. So I am hoping if anything I just need to do a little clearancing on the bar, and I will be good to go.

Coco

The 22R is an 84, the 22RE I believe he said was an 86. The 22RE block if I remember right is taller, so I am not sure if it can or not. The valve cover may interchange, but the heads I dont believe will. I think I have heard of people doing it, but it takes quite a bit of work if I remember right. I guess we shall see!

Coco

Well, another set back... Motor #2 is junk as well. Starting to think of just selling the whole thing (not really, just REALLY frustrated) but I am considering going to a new drivetrain now. Then I am still thinking of all the time I have put into it, that will need to be redone. Oh the joys of building a buggy!