The Budget Buggy - Take Two

Coco

Time for an update

Sold the Allied beadlocks and picked up a set of the Trail-Gear Creeper Locks. I have always liked the look of these wheels, and with the Allieds selling, it was time to pull the trigger, and get a set. I also picked up my 2.0" 14" Fox airshocks which will be going on the buggy shortly. Just waiting for final paint/assembly, then they will be going in :D

I also picked up an ECT lightweight aluminum steering wheel from Stratton (thanks again) anyone want/need a GT steering wheel with a quick disconnect? Always wanted one of these steering wheels, and finally got one. After originally setting up the steering in the buggy, I think with the new wheel, I am going to re-configure the steering column. With the way it is currently mounted, I think it could easily bend, so I am going to do the good 'ol heim joint method, and build a hoop to support it closer to the wheel.

This past weekend, I mounted up the tires on the new wheels, and got the front axle finished up. I got the left side bumpstop pad re-welded onto the housing, and built the suck down mount. Once everything was finished welded, I cleaned out the housing the best I could, installed Trail-Gear's Diff Stud Eliminator, and installed the High Pinion 3rd. I worked on it Sunday, and finished building the axle. Got the RCV shafts, and the Trail-Gear Creeper Flanges on the axle, along with the ARP studs. I have heard rumor that TG is going to do a true studless hub (a drive slug) for the FJ80 axle (like what they just released for the mini truck axles) so until then, I will use the creeper flanges.

Last night, I got the skidplate built. After doing some research on Pirate, and seeing what other F-Toy guys have done, I decided the best/easiest way to do it would be to modify an existing TG crossmember, and fit it into the frame.

This is from azyota's build on Pirate:
The T-case skid is done! I cheated and re-used my old Marlin T-case mount. First the sides had to be cut down to fit between the frame rails. Yes, I got the idea from Matt :flipoff2:
marlin_mnt.jpg

Next the inside of the frame rails were plated with 1/8" cold rolled, and some brackets were fabbed. Here is a before pick of how far down the Marlin skid set.
skid_before.jpg

Here is the after, I didn't go completly flat belly. With the skid setting 3/4" below the frame rails, the tranny and T-cases set parallel with the frame rails.
skid_after.jpg

A couple more from above and below. :D
skid_after_top.jpg

skid_after_bottom.jpg

One of my buddies had a Trail-Gear skid that I got from him, and basically mimicked his and others idea. Turned out really well!

I decided I wanted to play it safe. azyota used a thicker piece of metal, and added 2 braces than what I used. One of my colleagues suggested I use some thicker 2" angle iron, and said that is what he used (figured he has been using his buggy for a season with no issues, figured I could too. The only thing I did differently, compared to him that azyota also did, was I added braces for extra strength. azyota has two braces on either end, and where his mount is on top of the skid, mine is below. I added 4 gussets to both mounts for extra strength/assurance.

All bolted in:

Hard to tell, but here is the side angle. Measured it looks like it sticks down 1" rather than the 3/4" azyota's is. So not a true flat belly, but it will help with the rear driveline angle as well.

Coco

Another update

Friday night/Saturday afternoon I finished mounting up a lot of the engine components. Went to put my shock crossmember on, and I knew I would have to trim and modify it to make it work with the 22RE valve cover, but after I realized how much I would have to cut, I decided to go to the 22R cover (as Greg suggested before). No fancy paint on this one, just media blasted, cleaned really well, and painted in a flat black. I did decide to paint the nuts that hold it down red, just for a little something. Sure was a much easier thing to do than to modify the crossmember, and more than likely weaken it. Got the engine bay pretty much ready to start working on getting it running. Bolted up the radiator, got the spark plug wires on, mounted the coil (though I think that one line is a bit stretched, so I may re-work that) built a mount for the power steering cooler for the front of the radiator, and bolted that on. Up next is getting all the propane parts plumbed and routed, then I think it will be time to get it running after that.

The fan is close, but clears everything by an inch or so (hard to tell from the pic)

bryson

RME Resident Ninja
Supporting Member
Nice! If you can find a coil/plug wire with 90*s on both ends you wouldn't need to move that coil. That valve cover looks nice and clean!

Coco

Nice! If you can find a coil/plug wire with 90*s on both ends you wouldn't need to move that coil. That valve cover looks nice and clean!

Yeah I think with 2 90* ends, it should be good. I have also thought about building a bracket to just extend the coil a little bit more for some wire wiggle room.

Coco

Looks good. I dig the shock/devil horns. I had similar ones on my old buggy. Mine were out to the side more like longhorns Haha. View attachment 94743 Does that paint have pearl in it?

I remember that buggy! Was a cool project. I actually had the guy you sold it too trying to trade it to me for my 4runner I had at the time.

Yeah everyone is doing the horns/spikes :D The Wounded Warrior rig has some too. Its funny how many others have similar ideas to each other. I have a couple more ideas for adding some more touches like them to it, but whether or not I do them will be the thing.

Kevin B.

Not often wrong. Never quite right.
Yeah I think with 2 90* ends, it should be good. I have also thought about building a bracket to just extend the coil a little bit more for some wire wiggle room.

Or change how it mounts so the coil points at the cap?

Coco

the wounded warrior rig is one of my all time favorite buggies. It's coming together nicely coco, good work.

Thanks Steve! I have to agree, it is definitely one of my favorites as well. So when is your buggy build? :D

The buggy looks great Coco. Nice job on the detail.

Thanks Bart! Getting anxious to get it going that is for sure!

Or change how it mounts so the coil points at the cap?

What you mean? The distributor is all one piece :confused:

This is turning out so good!

Thanks bud! :D I am eventually going to need some big RME stickers to put on it (hint hint :D)

skippy

Pretend Fabricator
Im sure you checked this out but it looks like at full lock the tires are going to hit your lower links pretty hard

Coco

You and me both. Let's get some made up!

What do we need to do to make it happen!? :D

Im sure you checked this out but it looks like at full lock the tires are going to hit your lower links pretty hard

Yes I did, and yes they definitely will. I am really waiting to see how much my ram is going to push them. I am only (as of now) running a 6" stroke ram. If it doesnt push the tires far enough to hit, or just scrub here and there, I will leave it, if it pushes them further than that and the rub hard, they will be getting cut, and moved in. Running the 6" ram I think will make it pretty close, but if I decide to do an 8" ram, and limit it 1' to make the travel 7" I will be cutting and moving the mounts in. I think I will throw the ram on, and dry steer it to see what I am looking at both for steering, and clearance. This buggy is long, and is going to need all the help it can get in the steering dept, but I still dont want to possibly over steer the axles.

skippy

Pretend Fabricator
What do we need to do to make it happen!? :D

Yes I did, and yes they definitely will. I am really waiting to see how much my ram is going to push them. I am only (as of now) running a 6" stroke ram. If it doesnt push the tires far enough to hit, or just scrub here and there, I will leave it, if it pushes them further than that and the rub hard, they will be getting cut, and moved in. Running the 6" ram I think will make it pretty close, but if I decide to do an 8" ram, and limit it 1' to make the travel 7" I will be cutting and moving the mounts in. I think I will throw the ram on, and dry steer it to see what I am looking at both for steering, and clearance. This buggy is long, and is going to need all the help it can get in the steering dept, but I still dont want to possibly over steer the axles.

I wouldnt move the mounts in personally, I would build some bent links like on the front of Shanes buggy... Much better solution IMO

Coco

I wouldnt move the mounts in personally, I would build some bent links like on the front of Shanes buggy... Much better solution IMO

I honestly would prefer the same! The only thing I have been worried about with build bent links is they will tend to bend more right? I guess I can build/weld a mohawk on them to help strength them as well?