The Budget Buggy - Take Two

Coco

Bit of an update....

Cleggs had a good block they sold me for $50, and got all done and taken care of. This coming weekend should be the start of throwing the motor back together, and start working on getting it running.

Meanwhile on Saturday I had to make way for another gauge (air/fuel ratio gauge for the turbo setup) so I had to re-build the dash... Yet again! So this is version 50032095424. :D This I think is the best solution out of all of them, and there is plenty of room for my right leg. Wont hit the lower part of the dash at all. The other one was really close!

Also got the valve cover painted and ready for the new motor:

Coco

Been a while since I have posted!

Well 2 Saturdays ago, a buddy and I started re-assembling the motor. We got the short block assembled before the day ran out, (as we ran into some problems and things that tooks some time to fix). We planned on finishing up the motor on Saturday, but plans changed. So I helped my other buddy with a fence, then went to the shop to get some work done. I am happy to say I got everything done that I had planned on doing :D

On Saturday I got the rear 'bed' built, with the tabs for the limit strap I will have on the back as well. I am planning on a 12" limit strap, but once I get shocks and everything on there, it may change one way or the other. Also since my last update, I got the rear cans on for the bumpstops. Onto the pics!

The floor is by no means perfect, the two far left/far right pieces we a pain to make, they have some gaps and things of that nature, but it is a buggy, and will probably house a cooler, and/or tools so not really a big dea

Coco

I got a couple bigger purchases to still do, but other than that, I need to finish the motor, then it will just be down to all the expensive stuff that is going to nickel and dime me. I think I am just about done with fab work tho.

Coco

Well while waiting on a motor to really finish up things like the floor, and running wires and stuff, I find myself doing busy work, and doing things that I can do without a motor in there. Last night I got all the tabs on to mount the belts and harnesses, and earlier this week, I made up some pure cosmetic things that I have been wanting to add. :D I think they look sick, and really made the buggy looks mean. Only got pics of those, tabs welded to tube is nothing fancy.

I think once the grill is back in, it will pull all together, and will look awesome.

N-Smooth

Smooth Gang Founding Member
I like the spikes, awesome looking but subtle at the same time. I just checked back at page one to see when you got this (8/2013) because I remember you were really planning on having it done for OSRC... In May. It's funny how buggy builds always go this way. Kudos for staying on it even though it's taken longer than you expected and you've had setbacks

jinxspot

~ Bush Eater's Offroad ~
Looks good, can't wait to see ya thrashing it out on the trail.

I didn't go back and read all the specs on your motor build, but my 2cents is "Mill the heads" and/or use 20R model (propane LOVES higher compression)... very easy to do and a huge bang for buck!

Coco

Looking great Colton!

Can't wait to see this thing in action!

Thanks! Me neither! I want to use it so bad! Should be up and running within the next couple months (as long as cash flow keeps up, need to get a couple more big parts, then it will be the small stuff) hopefully it will be heading down to WOTR, EJS, and OSRC. I plan on using the heck out of it when it is done... Which will present another problem of where to store it... :ugh:

I like the spikes, awesome looking but subtle at the same time. I just checked back at page one to see when you got this (8/2013) because I remember you were really planning on having it done for OSRC... In May. It's funny how buggy builds always go this way. Kudos for staying on it even though it's taken longer than you expected and you've had setbacks

Thanks! I think the spikes turned out sick, and it is a little touch that really sets it off, it will either be a love it, or hate it option/opinion for most. For sure! You never realize how long a project is going to be, or take until someone actually does it!

Looks good, can't wait to see ya thrashing it out on the trail.

I didn't go back and read all the specs on your motor build, but my 2cents is "Mill the heads" and/or use 20R model (propane LOVES higher compression)... very easy to do and a huge bang for buck!

It is .20 over pistons, ARP rod and head studs, etc. The pistons come right to the top of the block, I cant remember the term of it, but it was a good thing lol. I didnt want to go too crazy with high compression, as this motor will be pushing boost, so I didnt want to overdue it.

Coco

Well since I last posted, I got the rear part of the floor behind the seats finished up, it isnt perfect, but neither is the buggy! Got the motor finished up yesterday, and hope to be installing it back in the buggy tomorrow.

phatfoto

Giver of bad advice
Even though I don't currently have something to drop it into, the work you put into the 'Yota engine had me wanting to rebuild the 1990 Ford 2.3 we pulled from my son's Ranger for the 4.0 out of an Explorer... Anyone have a Pinto they want to give me?

Coco

Well here are some more updates. Got the motor in a couple weekends ago, and painted the front part of the buggy so I could put the motor in without getting painted overspray all over it.

I also painted the hood, and got a couple other things done before our show saturday. Its looking good, and I cant wait to get it done!

Last edited: