The PAVEMENT thread: Cars, Racing, Drives, Speed...

blznnp

oh man, i like this thread! I have always had a thing for camaros. there's a few shops out there that take newer corvette chassis' (chassises? chassiss? chasses?) and mount classic 'vette bodies on them. I'd like to do that with one of those aftermarket camaro bodies. that's my midlife crisis project, considering how it will cost a buttload and a half of money.

When I have the money, I'll get either a 04-07 CTS-V or an E46 BMW with the ZHP package and build it. right now i'm super-leaning towards the caddy, though. a lot more potential and way easier to find. my fiance really likes "fiat minis" (she's not a car expert), which i've translated to mean mini coopers. I'd love to build one of those, too. She also wants to build a jeep cherokee, which is cool. i'd love to do a project car and an off-roader for both of us.

an acura NSX would be a fun one, too.
Randy weaver at weaver customs is taking a 69 camaro an putting it on a c6 corvette chassis I believe, it's a corvette chassis, I know that. You can check out some of his progress on it on his Facebook page. It's getting or just got painted, going to make its debut at the Detroit auto show. I think he widened it around 3" to fit the chassis, might have stretched it too. He has some cool project going on at his shop. He probably wouldn't mind if you stopped by an checked it out. Shop is in West Jordan next to jordan landing.

blznnp

That big red camaro is sweet, I hope to do a 68 sometime. He is one of my favorite camaro's. [video]http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=p0asSuSBNO0[/video]

sixstringsteve

you should at least take it for a test drive. :)

It sounds like a well-built vehicle, but I know what you mean about highly modified vehicles.

Last edited:

sixstringsteve

It's getting to be pretty good weather out there. Probably time we have another pavement run. Who's in?

Also, be thinking of some fun drives this spring/summer? I'd like to do a couple 2-3 day road trips. We're planning on hitting the California coast and Yosemite in September for a fun road trip.

Rot Box

Diesel and Dust
Supporting Member
It's getting to be pretty good weather out there. Probably time we have another pavement run. Who's in?

Also, be thinking of some fun drives this spring/summer? I'd like to do a couple 2-3 day road trips. We're planning on hitting the California coast and Yosemite in September for a fun road trip.

Hmm I might be able to get in on a few pavement runs soon if everything works out :D Out of curiosity have you ever driven over the Bear Tooth Pass between Yellowstone and Red Lodge MT?

Rot Box

Diesel and Dust
Supporting Member
The Beartooth would be a blast in a car like yours Steve. Lots of twists and turns along with incredible scenery :cool: Camping is a little interesting.. There are bears everywhere.

TurboMinivan

Still plays with cars
I'm somewhat depressed.

Two weeks ago, I sold my beloved Mustang GT.

sale12.jpg

Since my Miata project is nowhere near completion, this means I have been reduced to daily driving my Wrangler. I love that Jeep, but this isn't quite the right season for maximum daily enjoyment... and 14 mpg isn't all that fun, either. In the interest of peace and smoothness, if I need to venture into SL County I will usually drive the Suburban (which, at 11 mpg, is no picnic, either). On the plus side, I do own both of these vehicles outright.

I want to buy another car to replace the Mustang as a DD vehicle. Before the Mustang sold, my plan was to use proceeds from the sale and buy another 1.6L Miata and keep it completely stock. After all, I loved driving that car and, at 32 mpg, it was extremely easy on the pocketbook. Once the project finally is done, I would then sell out of the stock Miata for what I paid for it. But my wife disagreed, saying I should just spend money finishing my project Miata and then drive that. Okay, I can agree with that argument.

Problem is, I'm impatient. I really need something else now. So I came up with a new plan: buy a 1.6L Miata uber cheap because it needs a serious mechanical repair. After all, I do have a perfectly running 1.6L engine & 5-speed transmission & complete rear diff just sitting in my garage. Why not scoop up a Miata that needs one (or two or all three) of these, swap in my good hardware, and motor off in daily driver bliss? As the icing on the cake, when I am done with the car I can sell it for a profit. The wife likes this idea, so now I just need to find an appropriate car to buy.

So far I am not having any luck. I even found a car in Modesto, CA which, while not perfect, had a blown engine and would have worked fine... but even with my relatives in CA trying non-stop to reach the seller, he ended up selling it to someone else first. :(

Coming up with a different idea, I thought I might pick up another old turbo Mopar. While this would not be as good on gas as the Miata, it would be significantly more powerful and could be enjoyable to drive in its own right. Well, I'm not having any luck on this front, either.

(sigh)

sixstringsteve

How close is your miata to being done? Maybe the poor MPG and ride of the TJ will give you the motivation you need to finish it.

sawtooth4x4

Totally Awesome
did some work to my E30. its a 1988. I paid $350 for it. it has 225K on the clock, but I noticed today the ODO isn't working.

I gave it a small tune up and oil change last night. I need to get a cap and rotor for it still. So far I'm into it for $453. I painted my valve cover last night too. I drove it to work today,it does very good. now it needs low, and turbo

1912048_10151996706850028_1288641030_n.jpg