The PAVEMENT thread: Cars, Racing, Drives, Speed...

sawtooth4x4

Totally Awesome
I need to adjust the valves this weekend. but other then that, it runs pretty good. only a slight hesitation, but I think its because the gas is probably 2 years old. it was sitting for a long time

TurboMinivan

Still plays with cars
How close is your miata to being done? Maybe the poor MPG and ride of the TJ will give you the motivation you need to finish it.

Oh, I'm definitely motivated to finish it. I honestly think I can have it done sometime this summer, though it is difficult to pin down an exact date since I'm also at the mercy of a friend. He is making progress toward being able to work on it with me (he just bought another lift to install in his shop, and the Miata is slated to be the first car he'll put on it), so I am very hopeful at this point.

did some work to my E30. I paid $350 for it.

Nice!!!

now it needs ... turbo

Yes, it does need a turbo. As I've said before, turbos fix everything. :)

TurboMinivan

Still plays with cars
Do you have all the parts you need to finish it?

Not quite. I still need some minor engine pieces (front accessory drive stuff) and an ECU. Most of the rest that I don't have is stuff that needs to be fabbed--trans mount, exhaust, those sorts of things. I haven't bought these pieces only because they are not what is holding me up at the moment.

phatfoto

Giver of bad advice
I mentioned this in my ZJ lighting thread, but I have always wanted a lot more light on my Neon.

8" Procomp lights with 100 watt bulbs, LEDs from one of Deviant's group buys. These LEDs are great for lighting up critters eyes on the road... Projector fogs have a great pattern, but are otherwise rather weak. I have a few other ideas.

I really wish I'd had these before moving here in 2006. I worked in Nevada, lived in Cali and crossed the Panamint and Death valleys. More light would have been great. I have Silver Star Ultras in the low beans, and some ion tinted 75 watt bulbs in the highs. These after market housing aren't great and I have tried HIDs in the projectors, but found them quite useless. Giving some consideration to going back to factory lamps and retro-fitting some good quality Bi-Xenon projectors. We'll see. This lighting stuff is pretty addictive.

The pushbar isn't really solid enough to push with, but more than solid enough to hang lights on. Its made of 3/16" plate, and mounted to the crashbar behind the bumper cover. It is bolted in with 4 grade 8 bolts and hardware. All lighting, including the headlight high and low beams, is run through fues and relays, all taped and loomed and tucked out of the way. I do have 3 lighting circuits in use, and am wired for a 4th. Yes, I intend to use it for something. I do need to upgrade the alternator, despite the thing being computer controlled and not having any issues at present, I'll have to source a bigger capacity alternator from a PT Cruiser and change the connector. Otherwise its a bolt in item.

Last edited:

sawtooth4x4

Totally Awesome
aftermarket housings usually suck, I've noticed. Anything made by Hella for factory lighting is awesome. Usually the eBay lights are just that, cheap crap.

I have some HID's in my Range Rover's stock housings. They are made by Hella. The beam pattern is excellent and does not blind others. I have only been flashed one, but that was with a 10000 lbs trails combo on the back. I always use 4300K white and it produces the best color in all conditions weather rain, snow, fog or dry conditions.

i also have a 24" LED light bar in 4300K which has a spot pattern and flood pattern. it works really good.

Last edited:

sixstringsteve

If you have HID's in stock non-projector housings, they're scattering bright light everwhere, even if you haven't been flashed much. Nothing personal, but I can't stand it when other drivers stick HIDs in their stock housings and blind me. Their argument is always "nobody ever flashes me, so I must not be blinding anyone."

sawtooth4x4

Totally Awesome
Steve, beg to differ. unless you have actually seen my lights, then you are wrong. they work just like stock, with exception of the light color. they are now white and not yellow. I have a very nice cut off pattern. almost as good as my BMW's stock projectors.

European lights are designed much better then anything made in the USA or Japan.

phatfoto

Giver of bad advice
Beg to differ all you want, first the light is formed in a completely different manner and location in the housing than a halogen light, so you are not able to focus it correctly. Your saving grace might be the E code lamp housings. As I stated, I tried the HIDs in my projevtors, and even though a couple people in my cul-de-sac said they weren't blinding, they also weren't giving me the nice sharp cutoff.

My nice sharp cutoff was gone and bad hot spots in the middles. I started with 6000k bulbs, but they were way too blue, almost couldn't see down the street to drive with them. I have no idea how people drive with 8000ks... The above image is with 5000k, but when I try HIDs again, I intend to use 4300ks.

Seriously, anybody using HIDs in standard reflector light housings is creating glare and blinding other drivers. PERIOD. You are completely unable to put the light where you want it. And worse, throwing a crap ton of light right in front of you is also causing your eyes to close down some, REDUCING your ability to see! I hate being blinded, and do my best not to blind others. Some of those big dumb BRO trucks with HIDs in the foglights make me wish I had missiles to knock them off the fricking road.

For the record, in a Neon forum, others with these headlight housings have used HIDs with better success than I had. I will either retrofit some stock housings with a great quality bi-xenon, or replace the projectors in these for a better bi-xenon. I have no idea how the cops don't stop all the cars and trucks running about with HIDs and blue lights...

Last edited:

jeep-N-montero

Formerly black_ZJ
I love my Cibie h4 setup in the Miata, perfect cutoff and put a lot of light on the road even in fog and heavy rain, I don't think I will ever really need HID's.