Time for another dirt bike - which one to get for a short rider?

sixstringsteve

Ok, it's time to start saving up for one of these. I think this is my favorite bike on the market. 290cc, 2T, trials inspired. Sherco X-ride. I'm guessing it'll be about $8k.

[video=youtube;Gyl7KyaBG6c]http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=Gyl7KyaBG6c#![/video]

Last edited:

sixstringsteve

He is wearing Keen sandals so they do have a toe box;)

I really like motorcycles and I really like mtn bikes. I'm not sure how I feel about this motain bikle.

I have been closely watching the development of electric mx bikes. They are basically a scaled up mtn bike. That is my ideal trail bike. Zipping up AF single track almost silently. Unfortunately the bikes are still too expensive and have really limited range.

https://www.zeromotorcycles.com/zero-mx/

I'm excited for the future of electric bikes. However, most dirt bikers are far too proud and "cool" to stray from the gas/mx bandwagon.

Greg

Make RME Rockcrawling Again!
Admin
I really think the idea mentioned above, a KTM 200 EXC with a Rekluse and a trials tire would be a great compromise. How tall is the seat on those? Pretty light, enough power... put a pipe on it that's built for bottom end and I'd think you would be pretty happy.

Caleb

I really think the idea mentioned above, a KTM 200 EXC with a Rekluse and a trials tire would be a great compromise. How tall is the seat on those? Pretty light, enough power... put a pipe on it that's built for bottom end and I'd think you would be pretty happy.

I'd trade my 300 for a nice 200XC any day. Infact, I've thought many times to sell my 300 for a 200 to try it out, I may do that this year.

Caleb

Really? That is honestly surprising.

Yeah, for what I have used my bike for, a 200 would be more than enough bike. I've never had to be on the throttle hard (not saying I haven't been on the throttle hard, but it's never been out of necessity :D), I don't race, and it would save me a fair amount of weight (about 10%). I'd have to do a bit more research, but from what I have found, with very little work, the 200s feel a lot like the 300s in terms of where their power is and how they can chug along. I think with the addition of a rekluse, it'd be a sweet, lightweight, single track killer. Then getting a 4T would make even more sense as there would be a bigger separation in what the bikes could do. I'd love if I could find a current 200 to ride to see if I like how it felt.

sixstringsteve

Does Edge motorsports rent bikes? Or anyone in Moab? I'd love to hear your impressions of the 200 vs 300. I would assume the 300 would have more low-end torque but I could be wrong. I'd love to hear your thoughts once try a 200.

Vonski

nothing to see here...
I'm excited for the future of electric bikes. However, most dirt bikers are far too proud and "cool" to stray from the gas/mx bandwagon.

Yeah, some are maybe too proud, cool, or resistant to changed, but I don't feel any of those... If one could go 250 miles on one charge, then I'd consider it. Thats just not gonna happen any time soon (if ever, in my lifetime). Sure, my bike can only go a maximum of 75 miles without refueling, but adding more fuel is quick in comparison to recharging batteries.

Now, if you're primarily a track guy or don't trail ride very far at one time, then I guess it could work out well.

Caleb

Does Edge motorsports rent bikes? Or anyone in Moab? I'd love to hear your impressions of the 200 vs 300. I would assume the 300 would have more low-end torque but I could be wrong. I'd love to hear your thoughts once try a 200.

Edge has a "timeshare" program that they rent through, so you gotta pay several thousand a year and that allows you to rent bikes, quads, RVs, boats, etc. Nothing you can just go in and rent a bike for a day. I know there is a company or two down in moab that rents KTMs, but I believe they are four strokes.

TRD270

Emptying Pockets Again
Supporting Member
Steve I have a TTR-125 your welcome to putt around on to see how you like it, it's even street legal

I can't remember if 200 225 or 250 is the next step in the TTR line, but my lady is 5'6" and she didn't feel the seat height was to bad on the bigger bike when she sat on one

sixstringsteve

My mom has 2 ttr125ls. I love those bikes. I learned to ride on them. They'll tackle any trail up af canyon without breaking a sweat. The next step up is a 230. Aside from the weight And.cheesy brakes and suspect susoension, it looks great. Its still a viable option for me though.

The more I think about it, the more I want a trials influenced bike. When GAR and I rode hanging tree on.our bikes, I had an absolute blast. Id love.to ride more trails like hole in the rock, Pratchett, golden spike, etc