Time for another dirt bike - which one to get for a short rider?

sixstringsteve

I just rode a 2005 yz250. I think I'm in love. The seat height wasn't bad at all. I also sat on a 01 cr250 and that seat height was OK too. I think with some seat foam shaving I should be good to go.

Russ, your wr250 is calling my name

SpeedyVic

I have a friend at work that will be putting up a 04 or 05 (can't remember) CRF250X in April. He only rides it once a year in the spring. It still has the factory rubber. I thought about getting it, but I need something a little bigger than a 250.

jeeper

I live my life 1 dumpster at a time
Isn't that what you ride? What year is yours?

Mine is a 2000. They are all basically the same from 98-'02, then they added aluminum sub frame for '03-'04. In '05 they went to the full aluminum frame. Motors are all still very similar through out all years with minor changes.

sixstringsteve

well you can buy a 2005+, and I'll buy yours. :D

Seriously though, I'm looking for a '99 or newer. I hope the one i rode wasn't lowered, because the seat height was manageable. I like the low-end they have compared to a 125.

And thanks for the info vic, but I'm wanting a 2 stroke.

D

Deleted member 12904

I owned a 99 yz 250 for many years. It was a awesome bike! Funny thing is I think 2 strokes actually come down in price when the weather is better. I sold mine a year ago with an extra wheel and paddle, desert tank, new tires and plastics and had it for sale for some time and finally let it go for $1100 with tons of others listed in the same range. looking at them right now they seem to be more expensive but like I said as supply starts popping up I think prices will go down.

jeeper

I owned a 99 yz 250 for many years. It was a awesome bike! Funny thing is I think 2 strokes actually come down in price when the weather is better. I sold mine a year ago with an extra wheel and paddle, desert tank, new tires and plastics and had it for sale for some time and finally let it go for $1100 with tons of others listed in the same range. looking at them right now they seem to be more expensive but like I said as supply starts popping up I think prices will go down.

I was feeling opposite. We've been looking for my brother, and BIL. It seems that nov-dec had the best deals, and now we are kicking ourselves for not buying then.

D

Deleted member 12904

On another note I rode with a guy last year that had a yz250 that he put wr gears in and that thing was a single track machine! He said he had to clearance the case a little with a dremel but nothing to big of a deal.

Caleb

On another note I rode with a guy last year that had a yz250 that he put wr gears in and that thing was a single track machine! He said he had to clearance the case a little with a dremel but nothing to big of a deal.

Yep, I know of a guy that did that, then he also bored it to a 300. Sounds like a lot of work when I could get a KTM 300 to begin with :rofl:

D

Deleted member 12904

Yep, I know of a guy that did that, then he also bored it to a 300. Sounds like a lot of work when I could get a KTM 300 to begin with :rofl:

Sounds like the same guy. Is his name Eric?

jeeper

I didn't ride it, for the same reason I don't drive other peoples trucks. If I don't know what I'm missing It doesn't cost me anything :D