Time for another dirt bike - which one to get for a short rider?

rholbrook

Steve..... you could ride a 450 just fine... its the stopping and starting thing that gets you!!!!
He's got a good point there. My son struggled on his 150 at first until I was able to convince him that before he comes to a stop he needs to be in first gear. He would tip over while trying to shift his weight to the other foot to shift into first after he stopped. Also, I went to school with a kid that had a 3" extra thick sole on his left shoe. He had one leg shorter. You could have both riding boots extended.

sixstringsteve

I think the main problem is that I'm not a very good rider yet, and I'll be climbing a technical hill, lose traction, and tip over. Then the energy spent picking up the bike and trying to start it just wears me out so much that I get frustrated. After picking the bike up 5+ times, I'm done for the day.

TRD270

Emptying Pockets Again
Supporting Member
I think the main problem is that I'm not a very good rider yet, and I'll be climbing a technical hill, lose traction, and tip over. Then the energy spent picking up the bike and trying to start it just wears me out so much that I get frustrated. After picking the bike up 5+ times, I'm done for the day.

I don't care who you are, you wreck and have to pick up a 450 enough times your tired :)

SpeedyVic

I know exactly what you mean by this. I remember the first few rides I went on that by the end of the day, my arms were so tired I couldn't do it anymore. My friends would literally have to help me get back on the bike some times.

But that was only the first few rides. Once you get used to your own bike and how it'll handle, riding will be way easier. Plus, I think one with electric start and a rekluse would shorten the learning curve substantially as well.

I don't think it would take many rides before you wouldn't even notice the slightly tall saddle height.

Sent from the Outer Limits via Android.

sixstringsteve

I think you're right. When I had my kx100 I almost never dumped.it because.I could.put a leg out and steady myself.

I agree.though, kick starting a tall bike while on a hill gets tough and tiring.

SpeedyVic

You know, I was just thinking about my conversation with Caleb this weekend. He mentioned that he didn't get as tired riding with his Rekluse as he did before he had one, but he didn't really know why. I've been pondering how a Rekluse clutch would affect my riding and I now have a theory.

I was remembering all the memorable wipeouts I have had on my bikes, and I have had some good ones! Blood, sweat, and a couple of trips to the hospital. And what I remember about them wasn't that "I need to take this line at this speed to get over the obstacle" but more "I need to take this line at this speed so that my bike doesn't stall". That kind of thinking often ends up with me hitting it harder than I should which turns a bad situation into a worse situation. Speed Kills, as they say.

So a Rekluse would greatly eliminate the stalling out factor which would greatly reduce (by more than 50% for me) the need to have to kick the bike as often. And if you get E-start, you eliminate the kick altogether!

I just had an epiphany! My first priority on a new bike was E-start, but now I am thinking that it should be the Rekluse! E-start by itself won't keep the bike from stalling! It just makes it easier to start after I fail to make it over the obstacle. The Rekluse will help me get over the obstacle!

Last edited:

thefirstzukman

Finding Utah
Supporting Member
Steve, I would consider you a good rider.. I just think sometimes you want too much out of one bike. There is always going to be something you don't like, but having a bike and riding is the important part. I hope you figure out something so we can ride this year. I could make a list of good and bad on my bike, but all and all It works..

Bad:
Tire height sucks on big rocks, break over is to low.
Lacks power, had to gear down to loose it on the top end.
Heavy, it can feel heavy but I'm a big boy and strong so it doesn't bother me too much
Suspension could be better but it works
Fat tires can cause issues now and then

Good:
Headlight freaking rocks!!
Low seat height
Fat tires are awesome most the time
Six speed tranny
Awesome brakes
Electric start
Fully streetable

I'll take the good with the bad, and I have rode with some really good riders on 450 bikes and have never felt like I was holding anyone back. If you get something close and make it work for you, learn its goods and focus on how to make the good stuff your advantage and learn to deal with the bad stuff you will be fine.. You already have skill, just develop the skills on you bike. I think the fact that I learned how to ride on total buckets made me a better rider. Stopping at the gas station to throw air in the shocks and riding a bike with suspension tuned for someone 75 lbs lighter than me.... You really notice that one after a 75' jump. But it never got me down, I was happy to have something to ride.

Caleb

Yep, the only time my bike dies is if I hit the kill button. That is a major plus for the rekluse. I also think a big part of the not being tired as easily is that with the rekluse, you only care about your line. You no longer have to think about gearing, shifting, etc on those tough obstacles. On bikes like the 300, the 450s, etc, with the rekluse if you're slightly off on the gearing for the obstacle, you just twist the throttle a bit more. It makes big bikes a million times more manageable.

rholbrook

All good points. The Rekluse is amazing. I have a DynaRing on the bench and a set of new clutch plates that I haven't taken the time to put in. I took the DynaRing out because it started making noises and what I found was a busted spring. Its fixed now but I put my bike back together without because while I was waiting for the spring I went riding. That was a year ago at least

The DynaRing is similar to the Rekluse EXP but with some differences. It has less clutch feel but it also wont take off on you if you rev the engine. DynaRing has moved back to Australia but you can still get parts for them.

By the way, if someone wants it I will make you a good deal on one, I also have a friend that has one for sale because he went with the Z Start Pro in his 06 WR. I think these fit the 03 or 04 WRs to 06 and then the YZs through 05 or 06. Cant remember.

Rekluses really make things easier in most circumstances but harder in others. Harder to push start, harder to stop on a hill because the bike won't stop. In fact my first dent and big scratch in my plastic came because I never made a climb and rolled backwards. I personally believe that it should be one of the first mods to a bike. It makes you faster, not just because you don't have to blast up everything to get over obstacles but because you tend to roll into corners a gear higher and then come out of them easier without having to shift up and down as much. The clutch slipping keeps you in the power at higher RPM. All this helps reduce arm pump and fatique as stated earlier. Works amazing.

sixstringsteve

I don't struggle with knowing what gear to be in, and I dont' struggle with the clutch (my few months of trials riding fixed that). I actually like the feel of the clutch and being able to loft the front wheel with my clutch rather than just rolling on the throttle.

It's also worth noting that my favorite type of riding is different from most people's. I don't enjoy going over 45 mph. I'm not a speed freak. I don't want to get hurt. I want a challenge, but I'm more about having good bike control at slow speeds than being able to fly through whoops. I'm rarely out of 3rd gear (mainly because most of my riding is up AF canyon).

When I sat on the YZ250, I realized I could ride that bike as is, without seat modifications. I enjoy riding, but I don't get out enough and I'm not good enough to be able to justify the cost of a rekluse or other fancy stuff.