Time for another dirt bike - which one to get for a short rider?

jentzschman

Oh man, don't tempt me... :)

I think however, I am leaning toward a 4T... I want one that I can ride on the street for light commuting but still have some fun off road.... I know I can get a 2t street legal here, and I do not plan on a lot of street use, so..... ;)

sixstringsteve

I was able to get my wifes bike a bit lower.. If you want to give it a sit before we sell it you might be able to do it for a bike for you..

I've got a great one coming up for sale soon! Getting new fork seals and a cleaning as we speak..

What's your wife's bike? I may be interested in your yz250 as well.

sixstringsteve

Are you wanting it trevor? if so, go for it. I don't want to stand in your way.

I'm thinking a crf250x might be the ticket. I'm worried about valve issues, but the seat height is quite decent.

sixstringsteve

I'd love one that I could plate and ride to work and around town. My brother has a wr250f that's been bored out to a 290, and it's a cool little trail bike.

jentzschman

I have thought about a yz250f but I am worried about a lack of power... I hear they are much tamer them the yz250 2t.

That Is why I have thought about the wr450, but then we get into higher weight and less nimble on the trail....

This is why I have not pulled the trigger yet. :)

sixstringsteve

crf230f- Dry Weight 238.0 pounds

crf250x- Dry Weight 225 pounds

crf450x- Dry Weight 250 pounds

crf250r- Dry Weight 204.0 pounds

crf450r- Dry Weight 218.5 pounds

It's crazy that the 250x weighs less than the 230f.

sixstringsteve

I don't know how I missed the CRF150F. It's got a 52.2" wheelbase, and a 32" seat height. It's a kids bike, but it might be a blast up AF canyon. Anyone own one or have any experience with these? I've ridden the CRF150R, but It had a really short wheelbase (49") and felt pretty top-heavy.

Last edited:

Caleb

I don't know how I missed the CRF150F. It's got a 52.2" wheelbase, and a 32" seat height. It's a kids bike, but it might be a blast up AF canyon. Anyone have any experience with these?

You may also want to consider the KTM 150sx or 150xc if you want 2T. The seat stock is a little high, but I bet once you spring it for your weight, throw on the short ktm seat (or any other mfg short seat) and I bet it'll be right in the correct range for you. It only weighs 200lbs. It is a little pricey though, and I guess if you're spending that much on the bike, you could buy a 300 and do similar mods and have it usable for you. (I think it would be cheaper than the 300, but not by a ton).

sixstringsteve

Thanks for the suggestions Caleb. At Edge, they told me the 250ex was the same frame as the 150ex, so it wouldn't be any smaller, just pipier.

ricsrx

I don't know how I missed the CRF150F. It's got a 52.2" wheelbase, and a 32" seat height. It's a kids bike, but it might be a blast up AF canyon. Anyone own one or have any experience with these? I've ridden the CRF150R, but It had a really short wheelbase (49") and felt pretty top-heavy.

is this the air cooled bike, if it is, i have put quit a few miles on one, yes it is kind of a kids bike, but talk about low end grunt and still have top end, i prefer a bigger tire for the ride, my nephew is trying to buy my 250x because he has grown out of his 150f

sixstringsteve

Rick, what are your thoughts on your 250x. Do you prefer the hybrid? Does the 250x have good strong bottom end, or does it get more of its power from the top end?

I like the air cooled 4 strokes. Bulletproof, light, and less to go wrong.

ricsrx

compared to the hybrid.....
the 250x can not compete on any level.
there is one advantage with the 250x........................you dont have to mix the gas.

Caleb

Thanks for the suggestions Caleb. At Edge, they told me the 250ex was the same frame as the 150ex, so it wouldn't be any smaller, just pipier.

I don't know how true that really is. There's 30lbs difference between the two...that weight has to come from somewhere. After talking extensively with The Edge and several other dealerships recently, I trust The Edge even less than I did before. I asked for an out the door price on the TE 250 demo bike they have up there. The bike is marked $7299. They tried quoting it at $7999 + TTL until I pointed out their own tag was marked at $7299. They played dumb.

sixstringsteve

hm... the thought of building another hybrid is intriguing. If I do it again, I'll use a kx125 + a kdx200...

Last edited: