Tonkaman's CRF450R build

Rot Box

Diesel and Dust
Man that thing is going to scoot when you're done! :cool:

A friend of mine is a hill-climber and pretty hard on bikes... He has hammered on those cheap Chinese ebay radiators for a few years now and they have held up well. They are wider and thicker than stock so I can only assume they would cool better.. Normally I don't recommend cheap/Chinese anything but its something to look into anyway.

Caleb

Man that thing is going to scoot when you're done! :cool:

A friend of mine is a hill-climber and pretty hard on bikes... He has hammered on those cheap Chinese ebay radiators for a few years now and they have held up well. They are wider and thicker than stock so I can only assume they would cool better.. Normally I don't recommend cheap/Chinese anything but its something to look into anyway.

You would assume that, but they actually are less efficient. My buddy replaced his WR stock radiators with a set and he consistently ran 10-20* hotter with them.

glockman

I hate Jeep trucks
Not sure if I missed the radiator discussion but my buddy runs a set of aftermarket radiators on his CRF from Mylers? In SLC they aren't too expensive, I think they were $350 a pair. They are all welded and way thicker front to back. He said his S.W.A.G. was that it ran cooler after. They look like they sit a little lower than stock too for better handling.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Caleb

Yeah, I'd run Mylers in a second. I think their site is something like motorcycleradiators.com, they're in West Jordan off airport 2 road.

Tonkaman

I made a bit more progress on the bike tonight thanks to my little helper showing me how to get it done.

Here we finally got the engine out of the bike

The kid was trying to get her engine fixed too....

I broke the motor down to bits and pieces

Split the case

I made a very high tech bolt storage/organizer that is guaranteed to keep things straight

All done for tonight

Next I have to buy all new bearings for the engine internals so I can start re-assembly

Tonkaman

Im contemplating a wide-ratio transmission swap. Right now I have geared the bike from 13/45 to 12/50 and really enjoy it for anything technical but It really limits my speed when the trail opens up. Since we started talking about doing UTBDR I know I'm going to need more top end. My first concern is I don't want to loose low end gearing on all the single track we do, but I can't have my bike revved to the moon in between either.

Have any of you used a wide-ratio transmission in a race bike? How much will the big gaps bug me? Will this monster motor push thru the gaps easily? Any down sides I haven't thought of?

Last edited:

jentzschman

Agreed, do the swap. I wish I had when I rebuilt mine, but at the time I was already in about 800 bucks and just wanted to get it done. What I would love to do is find a whole motor with a wide ration gear box and just swap it in and sale my old motor.

D

Deleted member 12904

I have a friend that moved east for pharmacist school and never came back he has a 04 crf450r that has been in storage for years. He has offered it to me cheap a few times I looked into a wr tranny and remember finding the "x" tranny doesn't fit and Baja designs used to make a kit but it did not have a lower first and was hard to find.

What options do you have for a wr gear set now?

Tonkaman

It's not a true wide-ratio like trail bikes have since you don't get a granny 1st gear.
Here is info from CRFSONLY.com

CRF450 Main/Counter/Ratio % increase
First 15 27 1.800 0.0
Second 17 25 1.471 22.4
Third 17 21 1.235 19.0
Fourth 20 21 1.050 17.6
Fifth 22 20 0.909 15.5

New Gearing
First 15 27 1.800 0.00
Second 16 22 1.375 30.91
Third 18 20 1.111 23.75
Fourth 23 21 0.913 21.69