Tonkaman's CRF450R build

D

Deleted member 12904

Wow those valves look like they have been cut to the max possible to fit in that head. How much bigger than stock are they?

Tonkaman

rholbrook- thanks for the offer, I really appreciate it. Too bad I already made other plans... I think the kickstand will be totally weird I don't even have them on my bicycles

Deviant- they do look massive but honda valves are just big from the factory. These are only +1mm

I also ordered some of that Evans coolant so we will see how that works out

Gravy

Ant Anstead of Dirtbikes
Supporting Member
Might want to rethink the 450x shift drum.

That's one thing I cannot stand about Jon's X, I can't find neutral for the life of me and it hates starting in gear.

When you get done your bike will be bad bad bad bad badd

Tonkaman

No I wish. I ended up getting nervous about the bearings inside the case halves so I dropped them off at the shop to be swapped. He's swamped with snowmobiles and keeps pushing me off

glockman

I hate Jeep trucks
I can't recommend Lindsey machine enough. Skyler has been awesome getting my stuff done and they have always been fast. I bet they'd be done same day you dropped it off.

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk

Tonkaman

Soon I'll be giving him the ultimatum to just do it or give em back. He usually treats me really good so I've been cutting him slack

Tonkaman

I got the cases back together with the stroker crank and wide ratio transmission happily in place! Hopefully I'll finish up the top end tomorrow

Tonkaman

I didn't get as much done as I hoped but still made progress. I got the balancer, clutch, kickstart gears, piston, cylinder, and head all assembled. There were some serious troubles getting the piston inside the cylinder, because the new rings are so thin the pop out of the piston grooves very easy. What a PITA!! I noticed i had -.020" deck height so I was really concerned about the squish clearance but It turned out to be much more than it looked. More info here:http://www.rme4x4.com/showthread.php?102046-Cylinder-squish-clearance&p=963931#post963931. When turning the engine over to check squish the finish started wearing off of the new camshaft. I'm not sure how concerned I should be about that getting into the oil strainer but It doesn't sit well with me... I got the engine into the frame and tightened down the swing arm and motor mounts, so now it looks like a bike again!!

Tonkaman

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1392701897.605132.jpg
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1392701910.444582.jpg
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1392701920.603707.jpg

I love this neon green vent hose I got from TokyoMods it looks cool. I got the Boysen super cooler installed, it is BEEF compared to the old one. It's almost all wrapped up, tomorrow I'll put in fluids install the subframe with air box, and fire it up!!

Tonkaman

I ran into a problem last night. One of my new silicone radiator hoses has a 5/8" end instead of 1/2". Does anyone know of a way I can seal it up to a 1/2" outlet? I looked on the website and it's the correct part number and no other reviews mention having a problem so I'm not sure if it's just a bad package