Tonkaman's CRF450R build

Tonkaman

Upon further investigation and many chats with the gurus on thumpertalk I learned that the CRF's just love to break the case on that bolt. I just had the horrible luck of breaking it on the first kick of a rebuild. The ironic part is that I rebuilt my bike because It zeroed out the valves and I kicked it to death trying to get in one last ride. If I had just kicked the bike one or two more times the case would likely have broken that day instead... Since this is a problem that occurs on every '06-'08 CRF a new case wont truly fix anything. I am going to pull the motor and see if a machine shop can weld on a plate that is gusseted where the new hole will be tapped. Im not sure if its even possible but well worth a shot

Tonkaman

I have the engine back out of the bike again. Hopefully I can leave it in one piece and have a shop fix it. I pulled off the right case cover and double checked my installation and it seems to be done correctly.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1393465075.061062.jpg
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1393465084.043368.jpg
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1393465093.695028.jpg

Caleb

Off topic from your build, but if you want them, I've got a brand new set of Hammer Head billet axle blocks (red in color). I bought them clear back when I had my 450x and never got around to putting them on, then when I sold it I forgot I had them. So if you want them, they're yours for the grand price of free!!!

Tonkaman

Off topic from your build, but if you want them, I've got a brand new set of Hammer Head billet axle blocks (red in color). I bought them clear back when I had my 450x and never got around to putting them on, then when I sold it I forgot I had them. So if you want them, they're yours for the grand price of free!!!

Sold! I have added them to my shopping cart several times over the years but never end up purchasing. I'll send you a PM

D

Deleted member 12904

If it makes you feel any better your not the only one with case issues. This happened to my SxS last night.

D

Deleted member 12904

The transmission didn't seem to enjoy the new 107hp and jumped out. No worries got the engine pulled last night and members from teryx forums are hooking me up with new cases and other parts. Im getting really fast at pulling this engine apart.

Tonkaman

You make me sound like a pansy ass since I'm complaining about pulling the motor twice! Atleast nothing catastrophic happened to the new shiny parts

D

Deleted member 12904

You make me sound like a pansy ass since I'm complaining about pulling the motor twice! Atleast nothing catastrophic happened to the new shiny parts

I was pissed the second time. The third time was elected and this time well shit happens what ya going to do.

Tonkaman

I am EXTREMELY pressed for time on this project! I have a riding trip planned on Saturday and I still need to reassemble the engine.

My new engine case should be here today, can anyone with the tools/ know how help me swap the bearings and seals tonight? I would really appreciate it!

D

Deleted member 12904

I cant come help you tonight but if you don't get it figured out I have a friend in Taylorsville near you that has an old kitchen oven in his shop Im sure he would let us use to get the bearings out of the cases tomorrow.

Tonkaman

Thanks guys I'm going to head to strattons house to swap them out, hopefully I don't screw it up...

I have to have the engine and bike reassembled before I go to bed tonight to make sure the bugs are worked out before leaving to Caineville Thursday.

Tonkaman

Well I officially hard this bike. The engine case snapped while pressing in the last bearing. Leaving me further behind schedule and with an expensive paper weight... Anyone want to buy a honda?