Tonkaman's CRF450R build

Tonkaman

This monster eats tires like tic tacs!

Wednesday I took my new engine case over to Jeepers house to press in the bearings. This simple process turned into a 5 hour nightmare! We finally got them all in without destroying another case but it was too late for more progress.

Thursday night I was able to reassemble the engine and put it into the frame.

I spent this morning completing all the loose ends and had it ready to fire by 3:00. After starting it up and checking for leaks It seemed great so I loaded it up to find some dirt. I took it to the fields just off Bacchus highway to break it in and man does this bike pull. Between the small lot and having a wide ratio transmission it was tough to even get to 5th gear without lugging too bad but I was able to check all the gears and it shifts very crisp.

I'm excited to hit the trails and get done real feedback on how it's performing. My first impression is that I may end up on the ground more often ha ha!

Tonkaman

I forgot to mention one if my favorite new additions, the Trail Tech Vapor. I fitted the vapor monitor into my bar pad for a low profile and good protection. ImageUploadedByTapatalk1397277789.272046.jpg
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1397277801.605725.jpg

Tonkaman

I got the bike out for its first real ride today. I decided to ride 5 mile for easy truck access when it broke down, but fortunately that wasn't necessary. The motor is extremely strong with loads of torque! I had a hard time riding the really rocky trails since the bike just wanted to wheelie. I'm hoping I learn how to use all the extra power because it made me considerably slower today. The wide ratio trans seems to be working well but I wasn't able to ride in 4th or 5th. I did notice the speed difference of 2nd and 3rd which was a good change especially with the engine just pushing thru them. This thing will be scary fast with this combo at the top of 5th! My only complaint is how difficult it is to kick. I kept having to find something to stand on before kicking it over and it was a huge hassle. Even after I had good leverage to kick it the bike still needed 5 or 10 kicks to fire up so I might have to lean out the pilot jet.

One thing is for sure, this bike will dominate at the dunes!

rholbrook

The neighbor just bought an 06 CRF450 and its been polished and ported. Holy $*^*% it was fast. I can only imagine how scary yours is now. The front tire liked to come up in the first 4 gears easily. I never even got it to 5th.

Tonkaman

The neighbor just bought an 06 CRF450 and its been polished and ported. Holy $*^*% it was fast. I can only imagine how scary yours is now. The front tire liked to come up in the first 4 gears easily. I never even got it to 5th.

Your going to have to ride it to find out!

rholbrook

I think the old fart gang may go ride Devils Race Track and the Color Trails Thursday. I can finally walk again after Firebird. Now I am just waiting to see how my palms look by tomorrow. Mine aren't as bad as Strattons but I do have some big blisters. Craig's have blood blisters.

Tonkaman

Well the bike performed very well in Moab over the weekend. Once I got the hang of how to kick it over properly it wasn't so aweful to deal with. I have to completely jump with all my boy weight onto the kickstart now.

The wide ratio transmission is awesome! I spent almost the whole weekend in first and second gear. There were times we would be riding sandy washes and I could shift to third to lug and provide more traction until a straight away then a twist of the throttle was like hitting nitrous! Even with the bike geared WAY down one up front (12t) and up 4 in the back (52t) I still topped out at 83 MPH in fifth gear!
If only my foot didn't get bruised from kick starting it, even thru a boot

Tonkaman

I forgot to mention my newfound respect for those people who say they need less power. I never made sense of that statement till now. There were times on the Slickrock that I would roll on the throttle and my rear tire would just burn out from under me. That's not what was supposed to happen, but it made one hell of a ride!