Tonkaman's CRF450R build

Cascadia

Undecided
Isn't that a sign that the case would have cracked anyways once it started having torque and stresses put on it? Sorry to hear though Derek. That's a bummer!

D

Deleted member 12904

Well I officially hard this bike. The engine case snapped while pressing in the last bearing. Leaving me further behind schedule and with an expensive paper weight... Anyone want to buy a honda?

I feel your pain! Honestly if it was me I would just go pick up a used bike and ride it until you feel like working on the Honda again. You will feel it again but it might take awhile. No point in loosing more money by dumping it and no point in loosing ride time. $2500 will have you riding this weekend and you likely can ride it for a few months resale it without loosing much if anything. Just a thought

glockman

I hate Jeep trucks
WOW! That sucks doesn't even begin to explain this. Take a deep breath and forget the bike for a week. I have had to do that several times. It gets less infuriating with a little time. Sorry man.

Gravy

Ant Anstead of Dirtbikes
Supporting Member
Ya we got all the old bearings pressed out of the "old case,"

We were pressing them into the new case and on the last bearing we were using a feeler gauge to see how much more it needed to go in when Derek noticed that he could pull it out by hand.

The race in the case has two cracks in it!

I think it is a bad casting because we really really snuck up on it. We only pressed it in like an 1/8" at a time to make sure we didn't bottom out the bearing.

Derek was talking about seeing if Service Honda will warranty it because we were very very careful.

What a stud though, he hung out at my place and helped me almost completely reassemble the YZ400F!
I'm going to finish reassembly on it and let him ride it.

Last edited:

jentzschman

I was so nervous pressing the bearing into my case during my rebuild. Thanks to Brain and all his help, we got it built in a few days.

I feel your pain. As mentioned, take break from the bike, if that suits you. You will come back eager and ready to build. I know it is a let down with a ride planned on Saturday and all.

Good luck.

Tonkaman

Wow RME is amazing! Thanks everyone for being so willing to help me out, I am amazed at how great the community is here!

I honestly can't explain what happened to the case, but I suppose an optimist would be happy it happened off the bike. I'll try to get it warrantied, but my biggest disappointment is the time lost. Does anyone know if I could TIG the cracks and keep the races from distorting?

Luckily I have several great friends to keep my head on straight or else I may have gone on a baby kicking rampage...

Tonkaman

I finally got a warranty arranged with service honda for the fractured case. Unfortunately they won't send me a new one before the bad is received and inspected by a honda tech. Last time it took 14 days to get the case so I am doing 2nd day air out and back this time. Unfortunately I have to pay all shipping fees so I'm still out $200 bucks and at least a week

Tonkaman

They told me that honda will not warranty any part that was not being serviced by a honda tech no matter what. So they need to order a new one and pretend that it's cracked. I'm stuck in a loophole but I think they are helping me