Other Region Upcoming Trip: Rubicon Trail Lake Tahoe, CA Sept 5-8th 2012

sixstringsteve

I just bought the Wells book on Amazon. It should be here in a week or two, then I'll have a better idea of what's going on each day.

jentzschman

For some reason I thought this was in Aug.... Are you trying to keep the number of people going to a certain number? If not, then I will ask for the time off and join you if I can.

sixstringsteve

I can put you on the waiting list. I'm capping it at 10, and we're at 10 right now. I'll put you on the waiting list, so if someone backs out you get their spot.

Last edited:

mesha

By endurance we conquer
steve you are welcome to borrow my ready welder for the trip. I REALLY want to come, but you can still use the welder.

sixstringsteve

we are officially full with 11 rigs. Sorry to those who wanted to join us. It's going to be a lot of work getting 11 rigs through the Rubicon.

TJDukit

I.Y.A.A.Y.A.S.
This is going to be a great trip. I will have to get with you before you leave. I am going to be in the Tahoe area a couple days ahead to visit family and I will be hanging around a few days after.

I could probably head out to get a camping spot ready before you guys get there.

lhracing

I am not trying to change any plans but when I did the Rubicon with a group of Cruiser folks in 2001 we spent the first night at the Ice House Resort then got on the trail early. There was a fee to do that but they did allow some of the people to leave their tow rigs there, I am sure there was a fee for that also but it is an option. The next night we camped at Buck Lake, the third night was at Rubicon Springs (another fee area). From there we broke camp early and headed out.
Also it looks like they have implemented fire restrictions in the area so fire wood may not be needed.
http://www.fs.usda.gov/detail/ltbmu/news-events/?cid=STELPRDB5378518

Lane

sixstringsteve

thanks lhracing, that sounds like a good plan. I should have my wells book any day now and I'll be able to put the finishing touches on our plans.

jentzschman

I wish you guys a fun and safe run. Wish I could have gone, but probably for the best until I get my truck build more, aka 35's, at least!

I can't wait for the trip report!

Hickey

Burn-barrel enthusiast
Supporting Member
It looks like there are half a dozen Wal-Marts in Reno; why not ask one of them? They let you park RVs in their lot, so why not a truck and trailer?

Just a thought.
I wish Walmart's website would spell this out more clearly. At MOST locations, you can park your RV. SOME locations have local laws and regulations that prohibit this. The best bet, is to speak to a store manager and pay attention to the signs in the lot. There are some stores where we can't even park our company trucks for more than an hour (St. George, Lake Havasu) just ask first, you will be upset if you get towed.

TurboMinivan

Still plays with cars
The best bet, is to speak to a store manager and pay attention to the signs in the lot.

just ask first, you will be upset if you get towed.

I agree completely, which is why I posted this--to allow anyone interested to call a store now and ask if it would be allowed. (Perhaps you could mention stocking up for the trip....)

TJDukit

I.Y.A.A.Y.A.S.
Finally picked up a spare u-joint today. A couple more spare parts should have the usual breakable parts covered, at least a spare tie rod end since all three of mine are the same it makes that one easy.

I still need a fire extinguisher which is something I have been neglecting for a long time.

I think if anything, preparing for this trip will just make me better prepared for wheeling in general.

sixstringsteve

I picked up some wag bags yesterday at Uncle Sam's Army/Navy surplus store. Remember, we can't simply dig a hole and bury our human waste out there, we need to pack it out.

billylight

For anyone planning on trailering out there. I have left a truck and trailer at the trail head (loon lake) several times and never had a problem with vandelizum or theft. I have alway come back out the the same way I have gone in. It would be very unwise to leave a truck at the beginning and do the complete trail. It's dang near a three hour drive from the end of the trail to loon lake on the highway and then turn around and go back. Time consuming! Icehouse rd is steep and slow and curvy. Not sure on the miles but it seems to go forever. If anyone trailers the only option for logistical purposes would be to leave the trailer in Tahoe. Heck every one could dang near be half way back to utah by the time they are done figuring out that nightmare.