Other Region Upcoming Trip: Rubicon Trail Lake Tahoe, CA Sept 5-8th 2012

sixstringsteve

I just added two people to the waiting list.

After reading the wells book, I have decided to start at the Loon Lake side and run the trail in the traditional direction.

sixstringsteve

Is everyone on the "committed" list still able to go? Just a reminder to get your rig out on the trail a few times before this trip so we can work out any bugs first.

TJDukit

I.Y.A.A.Y.A.S.
I'm all in Steve. Leave is on the books and approved and my family will be waiting for me in Reno to hang out with the kid for the weekend while I go wheeling. I'm betting I'll have about 4 more trips before we leave.

sixstringsteve

fwiw, I'll be bringing my guitar and my wife will be bringing her voice. We'll do a few numbers for you guys one night. Are there any requests? Any songs your kids want to hear that we can work on in advance? It'll just be the two of us, and only one guitar, so I'm afraid Crazy Train is out of the question for this venue. :D If anyone coming plays guitar as well, you're welcome to join us. it'd be awesome to have a jam session out there.

Westernhunter

Is everyone on the "committed" list still able to go? Just a reminder to get your rig out on the trail a few times before this trip so we can work out any bugs first.

Steve, I have tried and tried to make this work, but, I am going to have to back out on this one. I hope this gives enough time for one of the others to be able to get it together. This is going to be a great trip and I am hating having to miss it. Good luck. I will be web wheeling with you.

John.

sixstringsteve

Brian R, I have moved you to the committed list. Let me know either way, whether you can or cannot make the trip.

Last edited:

sixstringsteve

Friendly reminder: I hope everyone on the "committed" list has had their rig out on the trail in the past month or two, just to sort out any gremlins/bugs.

lhracing

It looks like the plan is to leave Cabela's about 8:30 am. Because I live in Layton my son and I plan to meet up with the group at the rest area about 1/2 way to Wendover (lat=40.7620163, lon=-113.0100098). The rest area is about 90 miles from Cabela's which would put the group there sometime between 9:30 to 10:00 am.

Some good info:

http://rubicon-trail.com/Rubicon/emergency.html

In case of emergency

What to do when you need help on the Rubicon Trail

In case you need fast medical assistance due to a sudden serious illness or a vehicle accident on the Rubicon Trail you can't rely on your cell phone. Nowhere on the trail you will have reliable cell coverage to get a call out to 911 -heck they don’t even work in metropolitan areas half the time.

The most reliable method to get a helicopter in fast is to use a satellite phone. They are down to about $600 with a monthly fee of about $30 (including 30 minutes of airtime) - I carry one on all my trips. Call 911 or 530.626.4911 - it gets you the emergency dispatch for Eldorado County in Placerville - emergencies only!

The next best thing to get help fast is to use a 2 meter HAM Radio. You will have to have a license to operate a HAM radio - however, it is lawful to be unlicensed and use a HAM Radio when Life & Property is at risk. Frequency to be used on the Rubicon is 146.805 neg pl 123. The CalCord frequency is 156.075 - lets you talk to the emergency helicopter directly.

When you see the Jeep Jamboree USA helicopter (black and yellow Bell 500) in the air, you have another source for help. Trail guides and helicopter communicate on simplex 151.625 - that frequency might also reach Merlin Scott, the former caretaker at Rubicon Springs now mostly at Spider Lake. If you can reach him, he can definitely get a call out to get the paramedics to your location.

In case you have no way of communicating in any way after an emergency just run down to Rubicon Springs on foot. You'll get there faster than you think.

I am usually on the trail from Monday through Thursday and can be reached on the same frequency (151.625) - I'll be happy to call out on my sat phone to get you medical assistance fast.

If you have a CB radio (use CH 10 on the Rubicon) or GMRS family radio you might be able to raise someone on the trail to relay your call for help to the outside world. But don't count on it. CB and GMRS radios are the least reliable option when it comes to getting help.

Know your location! It is invaluable to have a GPS and be able to report your location accurately. 911 operators will have a hard time to figure out where "Walker Rock" is.

sixstringsteve

Good info. I'm wanting to get my HAM license, but I don't have time to get the gear and install one, and get my license, all before this trip. Fantastic info, thanks for sharing that.

You can get your technician pretty easy at the end of August if you want. A few hours to study and a couple more taking practice tests online is all it takes.

The discussion (on another list) about the Rubicon accident/fire that TJ mentioned was what sparked the ham discussion.

Any others in the group have their ham license?

So is the plan to convoy? Or can we just meet out there? I need to go read the beginning of the thread.

I plan on dropping my eXcursion/trailer near Carson city and heading down to the trailhead in the Jeep, rather than backtrack after. Also, I'm concerned about the highway pace of the group vs towing. Who all is towing? What with?

I plan on driving about 75 mph on the way there.

That's decent. We'll see how it goes. I find that when I'm towing my speeds on hills vs flats better match buddies that are towing than those that are not. Trying to match the pace of a group of 4x4's typically has me in an awkward part of the powerband much of the time.

Going from Moab to Elephant Hill each year during Jeep Safari I just deal with it. 10 hours though? Naw.

75-80 is a better towing speed than 65-70, unless I want to lock out od. 70-75 means I'm constantly watching the egt's.

Going that direction, I've only towed to Wendover, but drive across Nevada on I-80 a couple times a month, typically at 83-84mph. Hopefully we won't be fighting a headwind.

Brett

sixstringsteve

you're welcome to meet us at loon lake if you'd like, then you can drive as fast as you want. I hear there's a nice campsite about a quarter of a mile down the road. If you beat us there, you can pick the spot. If we beat you there, we'll pick the spot.