Other Region Upcoming Trip: Rubicon Trail Lake Tahoe, CA Sept 5-8th 2012

I'm street legal, was planning on leaving tow rig at friend's in Carson City. How long will it take to back track the tail to Loon?

You gotta love the construction zones. I have a few more trips out there before our trip, may be able to provide an update.

Brett

brian r

Im not sure on the timeline for back tracking to loon,would expect less than half the time with just one or two headin back tho...Dont get me wrong the company would be nice but dont feel presured to head out because of me..Brian R.

brian r

may want to make that 2-4 because i cant make it.landed a pretty good contract that of course has to start first of september.i've been holding off getting to excited about this trip knowing that at anytime i could be handed this contract. work before play i guess......Brian R.

TJDukit

I.Y.A.A.Y.A.S.
Rubicon Scramble is the same weekend, cool!

Did some quick research and as of right now they are planning on leaving Loon Lake at 9AM on the 6th.

Here is the thread for their trip http://www.reno4x4.com/forum/showthread.php/57140-15th-Annual-Rubicon-Scramble

Looks like it shouldn't cause us any issues. I read in there that the Wheelers for the Wounded is having a run that weekend. Should be nice and crowded, maybe we should try to head out early in the morning.

sixstringsteve

good catch. Let's leave earlier then. I say we leave at 6-7 AM on Thursday, the 6th. I don't want to be stuck behind 25 rigs. I specifically picked these dates so it wouldn't be crowded. Oh well.

Last edited:
good catch. Let's leave earlier then. I say we leave at 6-7 AM on Thursday, the 7th. I don't want to be stuck behind 25 rigs.

Exactly, but even 8am just so we are in front, though there will be lots of others too. The scramblers are planning on taking 3 days to do the trail and have a site reserved at the Springs (which they have been nice enough to offer, if I read the email right). I haven't read where they are spending the first night. How big is our group now?

Last edited:
so they're ok with us staying at rubicon springs with them? Are they starting @ loon, or somewhere else?

Starting at both places, meeting at camp the first night I think. I'm guessing that we'll want to camp at Buck or Spider, making the Springs is a long first day, shorter second day. I'll see where they are camping the first night. It might be on that thread. Camping with them may depend on the size of our group.

howardridge

commited list

I am from SLC, currently living in Santa Monica. I have done the Rubicon twice but none of my local friends can go this year. I was wondering if I could join you guys on this run?
I have a 2005 Rubicon Unlimited with 6" long-arm, winch and 35s. Very reliable.

UOTE=sixstringsteve;857393]We'll do our own camp. Thanks for the info Maverick.[/QUOTE]

Westernhunter

I may be back in. I REALLY want to do this trail. Should know soon. Looks like HHT was great.

No task is impossible by those who don't actually have to do it.

TJDukit

I.Y.A.A.Y.A.S.
Well I just got official word that my leave is approved. We have a big inspection coming up in September and they are not apporving very much leave for anybody for the next month. Luckily my plans with my family, my dad having just retired from the Air Force and a few other things were enough to convince my supervision. I was really worried the last couple days wondering if they were going to let me go or not.

TJDukit

I.Y.A.A.Y.A.S.
That is great news! How did your jeep do on Hanging Tree?

It did far better than I had imagined. I got some minor body damage on my rear passnger door opening but thanks to my body armor it was very minimal, I ended up driving past a nice undercut rock and actually used the top of my slider at the same time. I only had to strap 3 times including the last waterfall, one time just because of breakover angle and one more time on that waterfall with the tree hanging out very low from left to right.

I did take the easy line wherever I could since it was my first time out and I'm just not tall enough for the buggy lines. I couldn't be happier with the way it performed out there.

sixstringsteve

I used the top of my sliders for the first time ever on that trail too. Fun trail. I'm really glad to hear you're going to be making it with us, it's going to be a good time.