Other Region Upcoming Trip: Rubicon Trail Lake Tahoe, CA Sept 5-8th 2012

TurboMinivan

Still plays with cars
I ended up driving past a nice undercut rock and actually used the top of my slider at the same time.

I used the top of my sliders for the first time ever on that trail too.

It's funny. I also check in on the Wrangler Forum, and lots of guys there always whine about how the protruding tubes on rock sliders are "ornamental" and "useless." My experience shows that to be exactly incorrect, and the HTT highlighted it over and over again. I love my sliders and how well they performed on that trail.

I'm glad you enjoyed that trail. I wish you could have run it with our group.

It's funny. I also check in on the Wrangler Forum, and lots of guys there always whine about how the protruding tubes on rock sliders are "ornamental" and "useless." My experience shows that to be exactly incorrect, and the HTT highlighted it over and over again. I love my sliders and how well they performed on that trail.

I'm glad you enjoyed that trail. I wish you could have run it with our group.

I used my sliders a lot more than usual...I wasn't hip on them at first (they came on the "new" frame) but they have proved their worth many times.

howardridge

I wasn't sure if this is a club run? I would like to join you guys if possible. I could meet up with you at the trail head. I've done the Rubicon twice before. I have a 05 Rubicon Unlimited with 6" long arm, a winch and 35's and full underbody skids. Real reliable. This is the most fun trail I've ever navigated - really looking forward to another round!

4biker

Good news! I failed safety yesterday. Does anyone want to do my rear axle seals? Apparently they're puking all over my drums. I'll probably try to knock it out tomorrow after a long bike ride (I'm usually way more patient after an exhausting workout anyway). Is there anyone on the board in Utah county that might do it on the cheap? I really don't want to have to bleed my drum brakes.

Good news! I failed safety yesterday. Does anyone want to do my rear axle seals? Apparently they're puking all over my drums. I'll probably try to knock it out tomorrow after a long bike ride (I'm usually way more patient after an exhausting workout anyway). Is there anyone on the board in Utah county that might do it on the cheap? I really don't want to have to bleed my drum brakes.

What axle? I just did some on a f*rd 9"...meaning I pulled the shafts and took them to Parts Connection.

4biker

Yeah, I picked up the seals at lunch. I'll probably start it tonight and finish tomorrow. I've been wondering if it would be smart to say: "ok, Honey, I just saved us $250+ by doing this work myself. I NEED taller coils in the rear and they're way cheaper than that!" :D

TurboMinivan

Still plays with cars
I've been wondering if it would be smart to say: "ok, Honey, I just saved us $250+ by doing this work myself. I NEED taller coils in the rear and they're way cheaper than that!" :D

No, no. Halfway through the project, walk in the house with a grim look on your face and say something along the lines of, "wow, Honey, while replacing these seals I just discovered one of my rear springs is cracked/bent/whatever and needs to be replaced. Thank goodness I am doing this job myself--the money I saved on labor will more than cover the cost of the replacement springs! Isn't that great???"

TJDukit

I.Y.A.A.Y.A.S.
Well there is a chance that they are going to shut down my leave now. I'll find out on Monday if my commander is going to approve it or not.

4biker

No, no. Halfway through the project, walk in the house with a grim look on your face and say something along the lines of, "wow, Honey, while replacing these seals I just discovered one of my rear springs is cracked/bent/whatever and needs to be replaced. Thank goodness I am doing this job myself--the money I saved on labor will more than cover the cost of the replacement springs! Isn't that great???"

Wow, you sound pretty practiced at that! :rofl:

Well there is a chance that they are going to shut down my leave now. I'll find out on Monday if my commander is going to approve it or not.

Booooo! We'll keep our fingers crossed for you. You're great to have in a group, and we'd all miss having you out on the trail with us.

Last edited:
Yeah, I picked up the seals at lunch. I'll probably start it tonight and finish tomorrow. I've been wondering if it would be smart to say: "ok, Honey, I just saved us $250+ by doing this work myself. I NEED taller coils in the rear and they're way cheaper than that!" :D

Good plan. So is your 4biker built like Steve's Taco?

I'll post up as soon as I have an answer on Monday.

How frustrating. Good luck, crossing fingers for you.

4biker

Good plan. So is your 4biker built like Steve's Taco?

My build is less elaborate than Steve's. No tubbing, pretty basic setup. I've got my fingers crossed that I can manage the Rubicon without too much obvious damage. I look like this:
DSC_2809.jpg

I have a build thread on another site (hope this isn't a no-no) HERE

TurboMinivan

Still plays with cars
I've got my fingers crossed that I can manage the Rubicon without too much obvious damage.

Well, let's see.

33" tires & 4.88 gears: you should be okay there
One (?) locker: this ought to help get you through most of the trail
Homemade sliders: I'm sure we'll find out how strong they are. I hope they're sturdy. ;)
Stock rear bumper: you've got lots of overhang there; I'm mildly concerned

I was originally going to run this trail on 31" tires without worries, though I do have more armor than you. So long as a few scrapes won't ruin the entire trip for you, I think you'll manage.