Wanted: Mazda Miata

jeep-N-montero

Formerly black_ZJ
Nice. I think I just sold my brother on one. He has a motorcycle that's been at my house for ever that I need sale. We'll use that money for a car.

Some one give me the quick run down on what to look for in a miata. I'd be in the $3k range. I'll be in Lehi at my brothers house tomorrow. May have to stop by if you're around.

Drop me a line when you are ready to get serious with the search, I will go through the entire car with you before purchasing it. I have owned 5 of these little go carts and can tear one apart in my sleep.

frieed

Jeepless in Draper
Supporting Member
I think the previous owner was a smoker, which is a major bummer
Spray everything liberally with Febreeze. Also spray it into the cabin air intake with the fan on high.
The Febreeze smell will go away in a few days and take the smoke smell with it...
I did this to my JKU after the trip to the Bighorns last year because it absolutely reeked of campfire.

Oh yeah, that go cart looks fun..

Kevin B.

Not often wrong. Never quite right.
Steve, I had a hard time getting the smell out of the Explorer after I quit smoking. Febreze and various other smell-killing sprays didn't cut it, so I ended up pulling the carpets out and letting them sit in direct sunlight for a couple days, and then hit them with that Arm&Hammer carpet powder. No more smell.

bryson

RME Resident Ninja
Supporting Member
I used a product called Neutroleum Alpha years ago to remove smoker stank, and it worked well. I believe it is manufactured by the USDA, and is commonly used to eliminate skunk odors and various other unpleasantries. You can (at least you could several years ago) buy it from the Dept. of Wildlife Resources at 1594 West North Temple in SLC. IIRC, it was $20 or so for a 8oz bottle - the 8oz will be plenty to do your car 10 times over. Just spray it in - no need to remove the carpet or panels.

Cascadia

Undecided
So do you have to have a cage to race or is it because yours is a convertible? How do they have to be mounted? Are there any other rules to race?

i don't think I can talk my wife into a miata but sounds like she's be down to get another Audi TT. As would I.

sixstringsteve

To race a convertible on the track, you have to have a hard top or a roll bar.

Non convertibles don't need a roll nar since they have a solid roof.

You don't need a roll bar or hardtop for autocross.

blznnp

isn't auto cross mainly with the cones in a big lot, where as racing is on a race track

I am gonna have to use some of these ideas to get the wet dog smell out of my blazer from the previous owner

Stephen

Who Dares Wins
power windows, cruise, a/c,

All of these are a sin in a Miata. Shame on you.

What's the difference between racing and autocross?

All autocrossing is racing, but not all racing is autocrossing. ;)

Here is the basics of it. Autocrossing (or Solo in SCCA speak) is a race against a clock through a course made of cones. Its low speed and focuses on handling and driver response. Generally the vehicle doesn't get going faster that 25-30mph. The courses are small, usually set up in a parking lot, and change for every race. No two courses should be the same, even if they are in the same parking lot week over week (though from what I've seen of the MMP course, they are not terribly imaginative in that respect).

Autocrossing has been marketed as "Poor man's racing" because you can literally race any car. You have to pass a basic technical inspection (i.e., tires aren't bald, parts aren't falling off and you are not leaving a line of fluid on the track), have a helmet and a tank of gas, pay a nominal fee ($50-$75 for a day) and you're in!

Autocross is a blast, and this thread has really got me wanting to get my Miata out for a few again.

Here is a link to the latest rule, for those that are interested:

2013 SCCA SOLO RULES.

sixstringsteve

I'm betting that cherocar had to get special permission.

Per the SCCA rules:

"Unstable vehicles with a high center of gravity and a narrow track, including SUVs, minivans, and 4WD pickups, must be excluded. Examples of such vehicles are listed in Appendix A. Extra caution should be
exercised with non-traditional vehicles (e.g., trucks using racing slicks)"

The SSC has reviewed the allowance of competing cars with higher
roll centers and has prepared the following chart to be used as a
guideline for assisting Regional members in determining whether
a vehicle has a higher than average potential to roll over in Solo®
competition. Vehicles falling into the acceptance range still have the
possibility to roll over but they are less likely to roll over than those
that are not in the acceptable range are. This chart is for all vehicles
not specifically listed in Appendix A.
The measurements are to be taken from the ground to the tallest
point of the vehicle for the Overall Vehicle Height and the normal
track measurement as stated in Section 12.5 for the Average Track
Width.
The SEB may use Static Stability Factor (SSF) for classing new vehicles. SSF is defined as ½ track width divided by the height of the
center of gravity above the road. Vehicles with an SSF of less than
1.30 should not be permitted to compete in Solo® events due to the
higher risk of rollover.

Last edited:

sixstringsteve

we're driving to Hobble Creek and the Mt Nebo loop tonight. If anyone else has a convertible or car they like to take on scenic drives, you're welcome to join. Leaving Lehi around 6:30 PM. We'll probably have a picnic dinner up at one of the campsites.