Wanted: Mazda Miata

sixstringsteve

I'm leaning towards a '99 or newer. It's going to take me a little longer to save up for one of those, but that's what I really want. That video Brian posted has me wanting a supercharger or turbo in the distant future.

I've also decided that I need A/C and cruise control.

Last edited:

sixstringsteve

Totally agree. V8 swaps are cool, but they don't retain the 50/50 weight balance.

The NB ('99-05) miatas weigh about 2500 lbs with a 1.8L

The NC (2006+) miatas weigh about 2700 lbs with a 2.0L

Last edited:

rholbrook

I dont know anyone who has had a Miata that has not loved it. What about the Honda S2000? I drove one and that thing was fast. How do they compare?

You need to put the 3 Speed motor in the Miata, that thing would really be fun.

STAG

Found this one at a dealership. Thought of this thread ha.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    214.4 KB · Views: 9
Last edited:
D

Deleted member 12904

quite likely, but that's just how I roll.

Nobody rents race-ready miatas, or I'd be all over it.

I'm actually sure their is a company the rents miatas at mmp. I know a few people with garages out their next time I run into one of them I will ask who it is.

sixstringsteve

I'm actually sure their is a company the rents miatas at mmp. I know a few people with garages out their next time I run into one of them I will ask who it is.

I think you're right. In fact, I think the guy that bought my old miata is one of them.

I don't think they rent them for daily drivers though, I think it's a track-only deal.

sixstringsteve

I dont know anyone who has had a Miata that has not loved it. What about the Honda S2000? I drove one and that thing was fast. How do they compare?

S2000s are great as well. They actually race in the same Solo 2 (autocross) class as the miatas. They're pretty close to 50/50 weight distribution, rear wheel drive, and with the vtech they've got a LOT more power. They're discontinued now, and getting tougher to find, and they're more expensive than a miata. I hear they tend to lose the rear end a little more in oversteer situations and it's harder to correct. More of an on/off switch rather than complete control through the entire slide. They're great cars and it'd be tough to pass one up, they're just out of my price range. The miatas seem to stay in control a little more in a drift. Not that it really matters, as I've never drifted before, but I'd like to learn. If I ever do get sideways on the track on accident, I'd like to be able to correct it without spinning out.

Last edited:

N-Smooth

Smooth Gang Founding Member
Never driven a Miata or S2000 as I am much too big but I am sure they're fun. I will always remember this about the S2000:
"With 240 horsepower from 2.0 liters (122 cubic inches), the S2000 has the highest specific power output -- horsepower developed per unit of engine size, a measure of efficiency -- of any street-legal non-turbocharged car ever built."
As a "Honda guy" that makes me proud ;)

Little cars with low horse and good handling are definitely fun but big cars with 700 horse and good handling are also quite fun!

Stephen

Who Dares Wins
Never driven a Miata or S2000 as I am much too big but I am sure they're fun. I will always remember this about the S2000:
"With 240 horsepower from 2.0 liters (122 cubic inches), the S2000 has the highest specific power output -- horsepower developed per unit of engine size, a measure of efficiency -- of any street-legal non-turbocharged car ever built."
As a "Honda guy" that makes me proud ;)

Little cars with low horse and good handling are definitely fun but big cars with 700 horse and good handling are also quite fun!

How big are you? I'm 6'2", 220lbs and I fit fine in my Miata. My dad is 6'4" and probably a few more pounds than I, and he doesn't have a problem either. They are surprisingly roomy for their size.

N-Smooth

6'6" 220ish lbs
I've never tried to sit in a Miata since it would make no sense for me to have one but I sat in an S2000 and my head was above the windshield hahaha
A lot of my height is in my torso and that makes small cars very inconvenient

N-Smooth

I fit fine in first gen's but in second gen's my hair (what's left of it) touches the headliner. I do need to lean a bit but nothing ridiculous.

UNSTUCK

But stuck more often.
Assuming you buy your Miata under $3k, what kind of investment is needed to have a fun autocrosser? Once the jeep sales I may need to look into something like this. Seems like it could be cheep fun.