Wanted: Mazda Miata

sixstringsteve

it depends on the class you want to run and how competitive you want to be. Just like jeeping, there are some guys that are WAY into it and have $40k into their car. Rule book here: http://www.scca.com/assets/2013 Solo Rules Book updated 5-1.pdf

Like Stephen said, they're plenty fun out of the box. A good aggressive alignment makes a huge difference. THe turn-in on these cars is insane. There's zero steering wheel play, and the littlest input makes a big difference in the car.

The stock class doesn't let you change much. Going off my old memory, you've got to run stock size tires, stock wheels, and stock suspension, with stock motor (no big exhaust, etc).

The next step up is the STR class (Street Touring Roadster). You'll race with the following cars:

M Roadster & M Coupe (1998-
2000)
Z3 (6-cyl, non-M)
Z4 (non-turbo, non-M)
Datsun
240Z
260Z
280Z
280ZX (non-turbo)
Honda
S2000
Mazda
Miata (non-turbo) (1994-2005)
MX-5 Miata (2006-13)
RX-7 GSL
RX-7 GSL-SE
RX-7 GXL
RX-7 GTU (1988)
Nissan
350Z
Pontiac
Fiero (V6)
Solstice (non-turbo)
Porsche
911 Carrera (3.2L) (1984-89)
911 SC (3.0L) (1978-83)
944 (non-turbo)
Toyota
MR2 Spyder
Saturn
Sky (non-turbo)

Assuming you're not going for a national title, they're plenty fun in stock form, but I plan on running in the STR class, where they allow mild engine add-ons (heaers, intake, etc), and pretty major suspension mods with sticky tires.

Suspension mods make the biggest difference. You really don't need to lower them all that much, they're already pretty low to the ground and the COG is low. Stiffer springs and beefier sway bars make a big difference. Eventually, I'll do springs, shocks, sway bars, wheels, and tires. I'm not trying to win the national title, I'm not dedicated enough to race every month and stay up on my points and all that. I just want to learn to drive better in a fun car.

Here's a good place to start with mods. You don't need to spend much $ to make it super capable.
http://www.good-win-racing.com/Mazda-Performance-Parts/Miata/Suspension/Packages.html

Last edited:

sixstringsteve

honestly, you could autocross any car. It's fun no matter what. There are lots of regular cars out there: civics, integras, mustangs, vettes, you name it.

sixstringsteve

it's already happened in the future Brian. Now we're just waiting to see the day we both get one. Resistance is futile.

skippy

Pretend Fabricator
I just picked up a Volkswagen GTI that has been lowered and has coilovers on all four corners, I might have to give this a try

Gravy

Ant Anstead of Dirtbikes
Supporting Member
I might buy this FC...
16285498.jpg

http://www.ksl.com/auto/listing/700479?ad_cid=6
seriously... seriously... seriously

dang you jerks.

I'm crying right now. Somebody buy my V8 Wrangler...

I just went out and did a burn out behind the mini-mall around the corner to try to talk myself out of selling it and buying something else.

Last edited:

N-Smooth

Smooth Gang Founding Member
You guys crack me up! I went to a wide open Wednesday at MMP last year in my TSX and had an absolute blast and on the drive home was making plans to beg my wife to let me make some mods to it. I got home, saw my jeep in the garage and was over it. This is one aspect of my life that I seem to be able to control and it's so weird.
That's the time that my bro-in-law drove his CTS-V wagon out here from TX (20 hours) and it was awesome. Myself and my buddy in a VR6 Jetta both got up to 85 on one of the straight portions and he got up to 110 in the Caddy. That thing is the craziest vehicle I've ever driven.

Stephen

Who Dares Wins
That's the time that my bro-in-law drove his CTS-V wagon out here from TX (20 hours) and it was awesome. Myself and my buddy in a VR6 Jetta both got up to 85 on one of the straight portions and he got up to 110 in the Caddy. That thing is the craziest vehicle I've ever driven.

Only 85 in the VR6? I had my stock '98 Jetta VR6 up to 125. That thing had great acceleration for its size.

N-Smooth

Yeah, I believe it was on the western half of the track but I can't guarantee that. They don't open up the whole track so there's not a ton of room to run. If you were getting to 125 it was definitely a different spot cause we were pushing our cars pretty hard to even get 85.
I like the motor in his car, it's like the same HP numbers as my 4 cylinder Acura but they're like exact opposites power-band wise.

Only 85 in the VR6? I had my stock '98 Jetta VR6 up to 125. That thing had great acceleration for its size.

N-Smooth

Haha yeah. Unfortunately I've only had my car to just over triple digits on the street cause my wife always says "Nathan!"

Ah, we're talking the track. Thats different. I though you were talking straight sections of the road on your way back from Texas...

sixstringsteve

I just picked up a Volkswagen GTI that has been lowered and has coilovers on all four corners, I might have to give this a try

Those are fantastic cars. What year is yours? That would be a ball in autocross, and it would be fun on the track too. With how close you are, I can't believe you haven't been out there yet. MMP is one of the top tracks in the US.