Wanted: Mazda Miata

sixstringsteve

haha. We need a jeep autocross race. There's a reason SUVs are banned from autocross. Most sports cars don't have winches to right you after you flop. :D

Marsh99

Lover of all things Toyota
I picked it up last night, I havent had a chance yet next time they have a track day come out and co drive with me. Its a 2003 with the 1.8t it has the front mount intercooler and a tune on it runs about 16 pounds of boost. This is my commuter not my race car

I use to have a 2003 VW Golf Gti... I loved it, but then I bought my old extra cab Tacoma.

What turbo are you running?

TRD270

Emptying Pockets Again
Supporting Member
I picked it up last night, I havent had a chance yet next time they have a track day come out and co drive with me. Its a 2003 with the 1.8t it has the front mount intercooler and a tune on it runs about 16 pounds of boost. This is my commuter not my race car

GTI's are a blast I had a MK V that I loved. I didn't really want to get rid of it, but after the dealership forgot to put oil in it I lost confidence in having it long term. They said they would cover any problems it had, but we know how much I could believe that. So I just decided to get rid of it.

jeep-N-montero

Formerly black_ZJ
Over 200hp and less than 2700lbs would be awesome.

My last one was putting about 170 to the rear wheels and the one before that was about 155, current one will be about 215rwhp when it's done. I have driven an LS2 powered Miata and I would never build one, scared me to death to be honest and is just too short to handle the power safely. These cars are perfect with 170-220, more than that and it gets expensive very fast.

jeep-N-montero

Formerly black_ZJ
Never driven a Miata or S2000 as I am much too big but I am sure they're fun. I will always remember this about the S2000:
"With 240 horsepower from 2.0 liters (122 cubic inches), the S2000 has the highest specific power output -- horsepower developed per unit of engine size, a measure of efficiency -- of any street-legal non-turbocharged car ever built."
As a "Honda guy" that makes me proud ;)

Little cars with low horse and good handling are definitely fun but big cars with 700 horse and good handling are also quite fun!

My neighbor owns a 2009 Camaro that put down 746rwhp before tearing it down and will soon be back with a stronger block and higher displacement supercharger, shooting for about 950-1000rwhp, but it helps that it's what he does for a living. He actually tracked it quite often at MMP before rebuilding it and says it will not be very track friendly anymore.

sixstringsteve

I'm not worried about the strength of the torsen difff, I'm worried about being in an impissible class if i swap to anything other than a torsen.

sixstringsteve

I don't understand why you'd want 900-1000 hp if it makes it so powerful you can't drive it on the track. Is he more into drag racing?

skippy

Pretend Fabricator
I use to have a 2003 VW Golf Gti... I loved it, but then I bought my old extra cab Tacoma.

What turbo are you running?

It has the stock Ko3s turbo now, Its running about 16 pounds of boost. There is an upgrade somewhere in the near future just not sure where. Its amazing how cheap it is to build a small car like this I should have gotten into this instead of Jeeps.......My bank account would way better off

N-Smooth

Smooth Gang Founding Member
People get addicted to the power and just want more. I've watched a number of people build cars just to go for too much power and blow them up or they end up with a car that they can only take to the drags and run race gas etc.
My buddy had a 300 hp (to the wheels) integra that I loved. It was awesome on the street, reliable and fun. That's probably what I would go for.
Lots of the V8 cars (like the CTS-V) are cool too cause they were made for it.

I don't understand why you'd want 900-1000 hp if it makes it so powerful you can't drive it on the track. Is he more into drag racing?

skippy

Pretend Fabricator
I cant imagine a CTS-V we had a 2010 CTS with the direct injected 3.6 and AWD and that car was still fast and handled great ecspecially for heavy the car is

carsonc1974

Im a big fan of small, lightwieght, rear wheel drive cars with lots of Horsepower. I dont think there is anything quite as fun as spanking some loud rumbly v8's with an aircooled 4 banger!!!

jeep-N-montero

Formerly black_ZJ

Ironically I don't think he has ever taken it down the 1/4 for a time slip, but that may be all it's good for at this point. Funny thing is that their shop is thinking of building a Miata, I think that having that LS2 powered one come through for tuning has them hooked.

jeep-N-montero

Formerly black_ZJ
People get addicted to the power and just want more. I've watched a number of people build cars just to go for too much power and blow them up or they end up with a car that they can only take to the drags and run race gas etc.
My buddy had a 300 hp (to the wheels) integra that I loved. It was awesome on the street, reliable and fun. That's probably what I would go for.
Lots of the V8 cars (like the CTS-V) are cool too cause they were made for it.

Exactly, I had a buddy with an ITR running a supercharger(can't remember but either Jackson or Comptech) and it was great for track days or the occasional 1/4 time slip. He only ran a 5-6 pound pulley and was putting about 210 hp to the ground, so it was still balanced well, I think he even made his stock clutch last over a year after adding the supercharger. Sadly it was stolen one night while parked in his grandmothers driveway while he was visiting her, pretty crazy.